Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1999 Malibu Sportster LX

BrandonT

I am looking to buy a 1999 Malibu Sportster LX and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this boat. I am a amateur wakeboarder and skier and am looking to purchase my own direct drive Malibu. Does anyone know if the wake off this boat is good for wakeboarding without a wedge or extra ballast in the rear. Also, any hints or concerns about this boat would be appreciated.

Brandon

Welcome Brandon. What kind of boat are you coming from or familiar with? I ask just because it's important to get an idea of a person's perspective on these things before making a blanket recommendation on what to expect. With that said, the Sporty was built as an entry level footing, slalom & 3 event boat, not as a big wake boat. The freeboard (or lack thereof) alone would scare me to put any weight at all in that boat.

IMO the Sportster is the greatest boat ever produced by Malibu... from a footing perspective of course. Selling mine was the worst decision I have ever taken...boat related anyways.

Edited by 1FootDan
If you want to wakeboard as well as ski you might want to look into a larger DD boat....like say a 1999 Sunsetter LXi Whistling.gif

It's a shame no one knows of anyone selling one. Dontknow.gif

Shameful is one word that comes to mind... :)

Seriously, Jetskipro is right. Your original post said you were a beginning wakeboarder and a skier. That would be a great (maybe perfect) boat for you. Look around on the site for some info on the Sunsetters of that era, and you might find it's the boat for you.

If you want to wakeboard as well as ski you might want to look into a larger DD boat....like say a 1999 Sunsetter LXi Whistling.gif

Shameful is one word that comes to mind... :)

Seriously, Jetskipro is right. Your original post said you were a beginning wakeboarder and a skier. That would be a great (maybe perfect) boat for you. Look around on the site for some info on the Sunsetters of that era, and you might find it's the boat for you.

tru dat.

Unless you are an avid footer and/or Slalom skier, pass on the Sportster.

I had a 99 sporty. I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have.

I am not a WB guy so I can't help you there but will anywhere else I can

I know a guy who needs to sell his... I think he needs money to buy guns... Whistling.gif

The forums at www.wake.com.au really rank the Sportsers for wakeboarding / slalom boats. I recall seeling a lot of info about them saying the Sportster being narrower than the Response gives better wake with less weight.

I suggest you search around on that site as it'll answer your wakeboarding questions.

As for slolm, barefoot etc the responses above have said it all !

Depends on what you want from the boat. I'm a slalom skier, I also barefoot a little, board a little, skate a little...

I have a 2000 Sportster LX with no wedge. With no ballast at all I can go wake to wake at 60' and get enough air for grabs and 360's. With 500# of ballast in the back and 200# up front I can get enough air at 65' to pull inverts (I don't go inverted anymore since my knee rebuild Cry.gif ). You do have to stick around 20-21mph because above that the wake starts to disappear.

The sporty is a great wakeboard boat for kids though. Shorten up the rope to ~55' and they can go wake to wake fairly easily at 17 mph without any ballast and with a clean wake at their length.

...just depends on your priorities. :)

I actually surfed with my sportster. Rode 6-8MPH with wedge down and 2-3 of my buddies sitting on the gunnel at the rear of the boat, all on the same side. No ballasts needed. May I also point out that the Sportster has the wake hull as opposed to the diamond hull... In my book, the Sportster is the most versatile malibu boat on the market.

i liked my sporty a bunch.

loved the short step over at the transome.

not much storage on board.

will tow bf with the best of them (flightcraft excepted).

slalom wakes are great until you reach 32'off at 34 then there is a bit of a dip.

wakeboard wakes will get you through the beginner/intermediate range.

well formed wakes with the wedge and a couple of hefties sitting behind the dog house.

there isn't a nicer looking boat on the water; that low gunnel looks great.

good luck w it.

I'll chime in my .02, I had an 02 sporty lx and loved it, easy boat to get around in. Threw a great ski wake and a descent wakeboard wake, I never could put to much water weight in it, but 4-5 friends it was great. The only bad thing about the boat for me was the storage. I sure like the price on it compared to the new boat.

We too have a 99 Sporty LX and love it. We purchased it in 2003 and still have it today. It fit the best of all worlds for us. From the barefooting (my husband), waterskiing (me) and wakeboarding (the kids) as well as some surfing. We do have the wedge and do use some ballast when there are only three of us on board. We added a tower and speakers, bimini etc.

Also it just fits into the garage with no problem with the swim grid off. Others wouldn't have fit. The only other one that we considered was the Respone LXI.

No if only the weather would get better. Calling for snow mixed with rain again this weekend.

I have an 03 CB Sporty I bought new and love it. I don't ever plan on getting a new boat unless they bring it or something like it back. It's a real ski boat. Fun to drive, great for skiing, and with the wedge down, a full tank of gas and some people, a decent recreational WB wake. As the salesman said to me when we test drove it, "it's the boat that everyone that works a the dealership likes to drive the most".

I'm in Alberta Canada and will be selling my 98 Sportster (with only 245 hrs on it) this spring. I do have it posted on Kijiji, if you're interested, check out this link:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-b...QQAdIdZ44983756

The price is negotiable but it's compeditive to what similar boats are selling for in the area.