Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion Tower Bushing fell out???

I folded my 07 Illusion X to get to the tower speaker wire to wire up my speakers this past weekend. When I pulled out/down the speaker wire that was stuffed up in the tower this bushing fell out.

What is it and where does it go? I couldn't see anywhere that looked like it would go.

Thanks

Jim

gallery_4900_429_20589.jpg

gallery_4900_429_22919.jpg

I think I can help you with this, as I had a similar problem. The bushing that you show in the picture mounts in the Illusion tower one on each side on the screw/shaft that the tower mounts pivots on. I have a few pics that I need to dig up that shows the bushing in place, I just need to find them. I needed to replace my bushings because they were worn. What I did to revmove the bushing was to work one side of the tower at a time. With the tower in the up position I removed both screws on one side which allowed me to insert a piece of wood between the tower base and the upper tower. The wood was about 1" thick from that point I was able to lightly tap out the old bushing and then tap in the new one. If it gives you trouble just find a socket that will match up with the OD of the bushing and tap the bushing out that way. I thought it was going to be a difficult job and it was very very easy. After I installed the one side I put it back together and then did the other. If you need to buy new ones you can order them online from McMaster. PM me and I will give you my phone number and we can discuss if you like. With the right parts it is a 15 minute job-really!

-Dave

post-3887-1208205717_thumb.jpg

Edited by winddawg

Looks like that was a spare that got stuck in the tower during shipping, assuming your tower is folding correctly and you didn't remove it from the mounts on the deck of the boat.

I'm hoping it was just an extra one like skicrave stated b/c I've never removed the pivot bolt on the tower. I'll have to take a look and make sure I have the bushings in place.

Thanks Crew!!

Jim

Edited by jimw
I'm hoping it was just an extra one like skicrave stated b/c I've never removed the pivot bolt on the tower. I'll have to take a look and make sure I have the bushings in place.

Thanks Crew!!

Jim

You would know if your bushings were worn, cracked, or missing, the tower would be very loose.

Thanks Crew!!

Jim

You would know if your bushings were worn, cracked, or missing, the tower would be very loose.

OK peps I have an 05 vlx that they were never put in!! i have been asking about them for a year or so last summer they said they put them in when it was winterized we took it out today same thing pulled the bolts out still not there!!now that dealer no longer in business so I called the next closest dealer and they want 100.00 for just the parts!!!!looks like ill be making the trip to get them next week!!!

Thanks Crew!!

Jim

OK peps I have an 05 vlx that they were never put in!! i have been asking about them for a year or so last summer they said they put them in when it was winterized we took it out today same thing pulled the bolts out still not there!!now that dealer no longer in business so I called the next closest dealer and they want 100.00 for just the parts!!!!looks like ill be making the trip to get them next week!!!

Why don't you just order the part from McMaster-Carr? Here is the link:

Link

Do a search on "Swivel Bearing" and scroll down to the Nylon Composite Bearing Housing and you will find what you want.

I thin kyou will find this to be a much much better deal.

-Dave

• 2 months later...

I have an 05 Illusion and since buying it last fall the tower has always rattled in chop. I researched the problem here on the crew and learned of the bushing issue. I then emailed Metcraft and asked if I could get the bushings to solve the issue, they came through and the bushings arrived today. But I am uncertain as to the installation; here's what I understand... The bushing is installed on the front pivot pin. Metcraft also sent some spacers...

BushingParts.jpg

and I assume that they go on the front pivot pin as well (one spacer on each side of each bushing)

bushingassembled.jpg

If I assume correctly I believe I will follow the method that winddawg suggested above (remove both pins on one side and lift the tower off the mounting base, shim with wood and install the bushings / spacers and reassemble, repeat on the other side).

Anyone know if what I'm thinking is wrong? I'll do the install tonight and post back with pictures and any more info I find.

Thanks,

So I decided to take lunch at home and have a look at the tower in the heat of the day :Doh: anyway I pulled both bolts and found that the knurled one was in the back and the smooth one was on the front pivot. I hope that this didn't cause any problems with the threading Dontknow.gif

Stuff002.jpg

The bushing was installed and looked to be in good condition on both sides, I pulled them out and replaced with the new ones. I attempted to install the spacers but couldn't get the tower to fit back down into the mounting base with them on.

Stuff007.jpg

Stuff008.jpg

So I left them out and put it all back together with the knurled bolt on the front pivot and the smooth in the back. All the bolts threaded in easily. But I think it will still rattle, here is what the gap looks like after the new bushings were installed.

Stuff010.jpg

There is a little play when you push up on the tower at the top front, I took a short video clip (should've had the camera set up outside of the boat but I think you get the gist)

Tower Rattle

Any suggestion as to what I can do to make my tower "rock solid"?

Thanks,

Edited by UteBu