Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Oil gone after 4 trips

hawaiianstyln

Because Synthetic is less viscous, can it burn up faster than regular oil. I have always heard these engines can go thru a fair ammount of oil if you weight them down all the time. However, I just changed out the oil and filter about 4 trips ago and couldn't even get the dip stick to register any oil (not a drop). The Oil pressure alarm was going off while idling. It was a little under 40 PSI when pulling someone.

And yes, I put oil back in it when I changed it out (5 quarts)

No leaks anywhere!! I searched and searched

Cry.gif

Something is wrong. I have the same boat 340 Monsoon, I don't have many hours 200+ but I've had some all day wakeboard trips with guy's that can actually ride unlike myself with lot's O' lbs on board and maybe added half a quart between oil changes.

The real question is, do you know about how much was in the engine when you drained it? If it wasn't reading on the dip stick and the alarm was going off you may have more problems than you think.

My boat has never burned a drop in the 130 hours I've had it. You have something wrong there, if your boat is burning oil like that you would be able to smell it. If it's still under warranty I'd be taking it to the dealer to get if fixed before the warranty runs out.

Synthetic oil will not burn up.

Synthetic oil will not burn up.

I agree...you're not burning oil, you've got something else wrong. If you burned that much oil in 4 trips, you'd be traveling in a cloud of smoke like Pigpen from the Peanuts.

Edited by rts
Something is wrong. I have the same boat 340 Monsoon, I don't have many hours 200+ but I've had some all day wakeboard trips with guy's that can actually ride unlike myself with lot's O' lbs on board and maybe added half a quart between oil changes.

Something major wrong for sure. I have nearly 1,000 hours on mine and maybe add .5 quarts per 50 hours of use and we run "lots O' lbs" all the time!!! Have you looked in your bilge (I'm sure you have). Maybe when you changed it you forgot to plug the hose before you poured the new oil in Dontknow.gif If your Bu is burning that much oil you would surely notice the smell and smoke out the back Whistling.gif

I can get six quarts in mine when changing. I would top it off, use the boat once or twice, and check again.

Edited by electricjohn

Yah, I checked the bilge and completely dry after using it. No smoke coming out the back or smell. Well, a little exhaust smell while riding...

after starting the engine and letting the oil press build up, did you check to make sure it was full? Did you fill the oil filter before installing? It will take more then 5 qts with filter.

Yes, I started it up after and it registered fine on the dip stick. However, I did not make up for the oil that goes in the filter (I never add oil in that and then screw it in). None of this makes sense... I did take it into the dealer to get Vdrive, Tranny fluid changed and shaft packing, but told them to not touch the engine oil because I had just changed it out 2 weeks ago. These guys are top notch tho and can't be them unless it was an accident that they sucked it out and then realized it was not suppose to be changed. HIGHLY doubt it. Like I said, these guys are great and would never double guess their work. I can ask them tho, no big deal.

Oh forgot.............If the oil pump was going out, then I would have issues while driving with PSI, etc...Correct? It would still show oil on the dip stick after done for the day.

its keith right?

let me know if you need a second look at the boat. or if you want a engine compression checker. i would be able to help you out... rodney

This maybe a dumb question but I'll risk it.... Did you check the oil level on the water or trailer? Checking on water is the best way to get a accurate reading.

Are you sure the dipstick is working properly? Sounds funny, but if the tube inserted into the block is pulled out a bit, your level will read low, or not at all, even with a proper oil level. This may not be possible depending on how far it sticks into the block. Also, to really be sure, you should drain the block and measure how much oil you get, and what it looks like. Only 4 trips it should be pretty clean. Drain it cleanly and you can always pour it back in if it's ok.

Edited by TheBlackPearl
sounds like you have a blown head gaskit. the oil is going out of your through the water ports on the engine block. Have you ever over heated the engine?

Definitely a possibility. Keith, don't you have closed cooling on that boat? It's the same one you brought back from Hawaii, right?

nope, no closed cooling. Yes, it's the same boat I used in Hawaii for about 9 months.

I overheated about 2.5 years ago and it caused some problems that my dealer fixed. Which I believe involved a head gasket issue and other problems (can't remember exactly). I do know they found a cracked head at the time and fixed everything very nicely!

I checked the dipstick in the water after it had been running and almost half of the dip stick registered oil (clean oil). I checked it when I got home on the trailer and nothing.... :(

I will put oil back in it and post back on this topic. Give me 3 weeks or so to run it around and put several loads on it pulling people.

The boat runs SWEET tho! T-MAC what do you mean it's going out the through ports? You mean it's flowing out the exhaust tips into the lake? If so, I would see oil while Idling at a stop, right? I don't see that at all. The only thing I see is very little steam when pulling someone. It fades away really quickly tho.

I just hit 600 hours last time out! :):(:):(

nope, no closed cooling. Yes, it's the same boat I used in Hawaii for about 9 months.

I overheated about 2.5 years ago and it caused some problems that my dealer fixed. Which I believe involved a head gasket issue and other problems (can't remember exactly). I do know they found a cracked head at the time and fixed everything very nicely!

I checked the dipstick in the water after it had been running and almost half of the dip stick registered oil (clean oil). I checked it when I got home on the trailer and nothing.... :(

I will put oil back in it and post back on this topic. Give me 3 weeks or so to run it around and put several loads on it pulling people.

The boat runs SWEET tho! T-MAC what do you mean it's going out the through ports? You mean it's flowing out the exhaust tips into the lake? If so, I would see oil while Idling at a stop, right? I don't see that at all. The only thing I see is very little steam when pulling someone. It fades away really quickly tho.

I just hit 600 hours last time out! :):(:):(

He means, if it's getting into your water passages some how it's just passing through the cooling system and back into the lake, un burned so no smoke and probably not enough to see while under way. But if it's doing that I'm surprised it's not also allowing water into the engine and turning the oil a milky color.

Fill her up with oil and run her till she pukes. if it's that bad you'll be getting a crate motor anyway. bring a paddle or 2

sounds like you have a blown head gaskit. the oil is going out of your through the water ports on the engine block. Have you ever over heated the engine?

Bingo! This is what I was thinking. Oil leaking into the cooling system somewhere and out the exhaust water.

You could run it at home with a fake-a-lake on it and see if you can see the oil in the water. It should be easy to spot.

Because Synthetic is less viscous, can it burn up faster than regular oil. I have always heard these engines can go thru a fair ammount of oil if you weight them down all the time. However, I just changed out the oil and filter about 4 trips ago and couldn't even get the dip stick to register any oil (not a drop). The Oil pressure alarm was going off while idling. It was a little under 40 PSI when pulling someone.

And yes, I put oil back in it when I changed it out (5 quarts)

No leaks anywhere!! I searched and searched

Cry.gif

is this the first time you used synthetic? if it is go back to regular oil. Some engines that have a lot of hours on them and you change to syn

will start burning oil.