Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best spots to drill ballast thru hulls?

greenworks

Ok got the ballast bags, tsunami pumps 3 x 1200 (fill) and 3 x 800 (discharge), Black Titan II, Titan racks and mirror arm... just brought the boat from storage today into our heated shop. Have a month worth of night work ahead of me... Drool.gif After looking around the boat I am at a dilema as to where to install the thru hulls in the hull, I am very picky about how things look even under the engine not sure why.... I am planning a perfect pass at some point in time where does it need to be. Should I put a thru hull in the locker or just put it in the engine bay area and run a hose into the ski locker? I am running 1" fill and 3/4" discharge lines with brass to the shutoff valves. Anyone be kind enough to post pumps locations, I found a few threads but I like to look at lots of pictures before I decide.

Thanks Jason

Sounds like I'm in the exact same situation as you, only using the Rule pumps. Been collecting stuff over winter for the ballast install and brought my boat home today. I haven't even started looking at thru-hull locations yet, but my mental plan over winter was to use the original T-handle hole that the factory installed as the source for the rear port sac, install an identical one mirrored from centerline for the starboard sac, and find a place in the locker for that sac. I thought about running a hose to the locker but I decided against it. If the locker drain is 3/4", I will probably use it. If it's only 1/2", I may remove it and install my 3/4 thru-hull in the same place.

If you're going to drill holes anyway, you might as well drill new holes for all of your intakes. When I did mine, I used 1-inch thru-hulls, and adapted down to 3/4 inch for the Rule pumps. Once again, I figured if I'm going to drill holes anyway, I might as well go larger than I need in case anyone ever comes out with a 1" pump that would fit it.

As far as locations: In the center ski locker, I put one thru-hull mirror-imaged from the drain hole on the other side of the center line. Maybe 3 inches or so from the center line. For the rear lockers, I put my thru-hulls on either side of the V-drive, under the back center seat cushion. I'll try to take some pictures some time this week.

• 1 month later...

Did anyone get an answer to the original question about an optimal place to drill the fill holes? I am taking on this project and looking for some feedback.

2001 wakesetter V-drive

I have the MLS Ballast system in the center Ski locker, but i want to add auto fill on my 2 rear 400lb bags

i will need to drill 2 Fill holes , and possibly 2 drain holes (I may opt to tap into the bilge pump drain line with check valves)

My first guess would be to drill out the fill holes underneathe the engine, by the bildge pump ?

Edited by Stevo

There is no "optimal" place because there are too many variables depending on the type of system you're installing (simer vs/ aerator pumps, number of bags, etc.) and the particular model and year of boat.

Take a look around your boat, and install them where they make the most sense. Just be aware of trailer bunks, paddle wheels, depth finders, and any other current of future components that could cause interference.

I did mine beside the V-drive in front of the engine, one on each side. Just makes sure if you plan on adding PP that there is a free spot in-front of all through-hulls for the paddle wheel. Otherwise just try and keep 3-4 inches or so between holes............

I drilled one on either side of the V-drive, and (2) in the ski locker; 4 holes total.

The thru-hull on the passenger side is behind my Perfect Pass paddlewheel. The two in the ski locker are on the driver's side so they don't interfere with flow from the PP paddlewheel.