Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 GM Marine Products

winddawg

I think this is exactly why the big block is going away very soon. I'm sure their will always be big block special racing type engines available, however, this is probably the future for most boat owners wanting big horsepower numbers for mass production boats.

I think this is exactly why the big block is going away very soon.

I think it's the other way around, in that this engine has come about BECAUSE the 8.1 is going away. Indmar wasn't able to add catalytic converters to the 8.1 due to thermal constraints, so it can't be approved for sale under the new EPA emissions requirements.

I'm excited to see how this version of the 6.2 performs, it should be fun! :)

Edited by skicrave

hell ya! That 8.1 was due for retirement anyways, i heard rumor marine engine manufactures need to be 100% catyst exhaust by 2009 production.

I can't wait to see how that supercharger handles in a boat!!

Speaking of EPA, have you rode behind a boat with ETXCAT exhaust? Wow, i can't smell the engine exhaust at all anymore, what a difference it made.

Did notice that it mentions that a CLOSED COOLING SYSTEM is required:

>>>>>>

Additional Features: 1.9 L/rev Supercharger

Integrated Single Coolant To Air Intercooler

Requires closed cooling system

Piston Oil Spray Cooling

Direct Mount Ignition Coils

This looks to be a "close" variant of the 09 Cadillac CTS-V engine.

The OTHER 6.2 variant is the very expensive 09 Corvette ZR-1 620hp version.

They have a very sophisticated Supercharger setup.

The 550 hp version is just loafing!

The 7.0L 427 as in the existing ZO6 Corvette and Malibu Corvette boat does not have enough meat in the block to be over-stressing with a Supercharger.

The 7.0L 427 as in the existing ZO6 Corvette and Malibu Corvette boat does not have enough meat in the block to be over-stressing with a Supercharger.

Well it is in-fact the new CTS-V "LSA" Motor. Maybe the next Camaro motor also! Thumbup.gif

Unfortunately the supercharger has not proven itself in ski and wakeboard applications yet. To get the torque desired from 100 or more less cubic inches you have to turn up the boost. When you run high boost at low rpms you're just asking for oil, ring and fuel issues, to say nothing of longevity. The life of a marine engine is SO much harder than automotive. In reality, they ought to build marine engines, and then lighten-them-up for automotive use.

Peter

Well it is in-fact the new CTS-V "LSA" Motor. Maybe the next Camaro motor also! Thumbup.gif

Have heard the Camaro is getting a 400-450 hp motor, but they always come out with an SS model later. Whistling.gif

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT THIS OPTION WILL ADD TO THE PRICE OF A NEW 50,000-60,000 DOLLAR BU.

ASSEMBLED IN MEXICO TURNS ME OFF!!!!!!

Unfortunately the supercharger has not proven itself in ski and wakeboard applications yet. To get the torque desired from 100 or more less cubic inches you have to turn up the boost. When you run high boost at low rpms you're just asking for oil, ring and fuel issues, to say nothing of longevity. The life of a marine engine is SO much harder than automotive. In reality, they ought to build marine engines, and then lighten-them-up for automotive use.

Peter

Years ago, like 10, Supra added a supercharger option to the ford 351 engine before the GT-40 was introduced. I believe it was a whipple and added somewhere around $3000 to the price in that days dollars. So, it's been done before...

Peter

Years ago, like 10, Supra added a supercharger option to the ford 351 engine before the GT-40 was introduced. I believe it was a whipple and added somewhere around $3000 to the price in that days dollars. So, it's been done before...

I thought Mastercraft experimented with a supercharger 5 years or so ago as well. I think it was used for ski flying events. I remember that it looked pretty cool.