Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How much ballast is TOO much?

DreamWake

I use the wedge if I'm using stock ballast tanks, ya know, kinda out for a joy ride. If I sac it up and use the wedge it takes too low to plane (340hp) wish I had more hp. My motor seems to labor quite a bit more. As far as the comments about technique, speed and pop off the wake, yeah the kids got all that, by the end of this summer he'll be in the outlaw class. I'm not braggin, just sayin the kids not a rook. The kid just wants to go for big air. Ah, to be young. Wakegirl, your right about giving up manuverabilty, I'm reasonably careful but thanks for the warning, something I should have given more thought. Everyone else, thanks for the comments, looks like i need a BIGGER boat..........ha ha

Anyone ever wakeboard with Gordy Bubolz in Freemont, wis ???

247....seriously, best_stock_wake_ever.

I use the wedge if I'm using stock ballast tanks, ya know, kinda out for a joy ride. If I sac it up and use the wedge it takes too low to plane (340hp) wish I had more hp. My motor seems to labor quite a bit more. As far as the comments about technique, speed and pop off the wake, yeah the kids got all that, by the end of this summer he'll be in the outlaw class. I'm not braggin, just sayin the kids not a rook. The kid just wants to go for big air. Ah, to be young. Wakegirl, your right about giving up manuverabilty, I'm reasonably careful but thanks for the warning, something I should have given more thought. Everyone else, thanks for the comments, looks like i need a BIGGER boat..........ha ha

Anyone ever wakeboard with Gordy Bubolz in Freemont, wis ???

247....seriously, best_stock_wake_ever.

Plus1.gif 247 rocks Thumbup.gif

We just use stock ballast and that's too big...lol

Whimp! Tease2.gif

Yep, no problem w/ that. :)

We bought the Vride last November & had it out a few times before things froze. Several of us rode behind it with the ballast full, some boarders & some foil riders. And several people thought the wake was almost "too big".

Whatever. Get used to it. Slow down your cut a bit & work on getting the pop off the top of the wake. A couple of rides & you'll be cutting at it more aggressively & clearing the wake. Just remember all the details; edge, pop, handle position, etc.

I'm told that I'm aggressive just that I slalom through the wake instead of standing up at the wake.

Whimp! Tease2.gif

We bought the Vride last November & had it out a few times before things froze. Several of us rode behind it with the ballast full, some boarders & some foil riders. And several people thought the wake was almost "too big".

Whatever. Get used to it. Slow down your cut a bit & work on getting the pop off the top of the wake. A couple of rides & you'll be cutting at it more aggressively & clearing the wake. Just remember all the details; edge, pop, handle position, etc.

I'm told that I'm aggressive just that I slalom through the wake instead of standing up at the wake.

Typical old skool skier habit.... absorbing all that pop with your knees as you fly over it. Edge in & snap your knees at the edge of the wake. It's a timing game, the faster you edge in, the more likely you are to "pop" your knees too early or too late. Just takes watertime to develop that timing.

Get on a foil & you have to develop a 3rd dimension to it all. Ride in high on the foil, dip the board down to the water just before the wake, and lean back at the wake & enjoy the flight.

Quicken up that dip, snap it down & then up, increases foil speed & really launches you. The next trick is controlling the hang time for a good landing. Yahoo.gif

Whimp! Tease2.gif

Typical old skool skier habit.... absorbing all that pop with your knees as you fly over it. Edge in & snap your knees at the edge of the wake. It's a timing game, the faster you edge in, the more likely you are to "pop" your knees too early or too late. Just takes watertime to develop that timing.

Get on a foil & you have to develop a 3rd dimension to it all. Ride in high on the foil, dip the board down to the water just before the wake, and lean back at the wake & enjoy the flight.

Quicken up that dip, snap it down & then up, increases foil speed & really launches you. The next trick is controlling the hang time for a good landing. Yahoo.gif

edge real hard and that is what it feels like sometimes Whistling.gif snapping your knees. I think the biggest problem i have and see from others is taking to big of a cut out. Then you build way to much speed coming back and dont know what to do with it.

Dreamwake: Weight/ballast is a factor of ability primarily.

Generally speaking as a person's riding gets better they will ride faster at longer line lengths (this is synonymous with most professional riders). As you start riding faster and longer lengths, the wake diminishes, so the response is to add more weight (if wished, I can get into reasons behind extra speed and line length). Most guys riding Outlaw through the pro ranks are typically around 26-29mph. These riders also ride anywhere from 75-95ft back. When you are talking 28mph at 95ft back there is a DEFINITE need for more weight.

Your son's ability will decide how much weight you should be adding to the boat. If your son is below the outlaw division he should be good with less than 3k in total ballast (not including wedge). Once a rider is into Outlaw-pro divisions it generally starts getting very heavy. (FWIW, my general consensus of "outlaw" generally involves multi mobes and probably 1 720 in a trick pass). Short story of the matter is: If he is beginning to market himself to sponsors, and take "photo sets" it would benefit him to supply him with the best wake possible for that marketing. If he is training to ride junior mens or boys the best bet is to talk to the parents already involved in the sport and do some homework. By this I mean you want to establish what kind of wake he will be competing behind and start weighting your boat in that fashion to give him the closest thing to competition as possible. I believe there are quite a few parents on wakeworld.com of both junior mens and boys riders who could help you out.

Here is a link to Randy Harris' interview and weight setup (he would be considered at the extreme end of the spectrum in weighting a boat):

http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=1560

Here's the link to Gerry Nunn's boat. Definitely more than 2500. Its loaded. Also the article on it is great in explaining how he did it. and liquidmx.... I agree totally! Good stuff!

Gerry Nunn's 23LSV

Thats crazy!! If I had exxon as a sponsor i might do something like that i guess.

Edited by txwakejunkie
...I think the biggest problem i have and see from others is taking to big of a cut out. Then you build way to much speed coming back and dont know what to do with it.

Great point!

Yup, I would imagine Gerry and Randall are around the same area of 5-6k in ballast. I do believe Gerry sold that boat above to Keith Lyman too.

I have heard of some riders with this much weight having to drain the factory sacks, pull onto plane, then fill the factory sacks while on plane to get things rolling....haha. Randy said it best: Straight Slumpin!

Also, an important thing to note dreamwake: If you are new to driving heavily weighted boats, take it slowly and do your homework related to driving. In fact if you are serious about driving and your son's riding I would personally make a reservation down at Shaun Murray's camp. Have your son get some lessons while you pick Travis's brain about driving techniques related to heavy boats. Whether its general driving or the perfect upple dub (double up in general terms) Travis is king and has more experience than anyone behind the wheel of a wakeboat.

Edited by Liquidmx
Yup, I would imagine Gerry and Randall are around the same area of 5-6k in ballast. I do believe Gerry sold that boat above to Keith Lyman too.

I have heard of some riders with this much weight having to drain the factory sacks, pull onto plane, then fill the factory sacks while on plane to get things rolling....haha. Randy said it best: Straight Slumpin!

Also, an important thing to note dreamwake: If you are new to driving heavily weighted boats, take it slowly and do your homework related to driving. In fact if you are serious about driving and your son's riding I would personally make a reservation down at Shaun Murray's camp. Have your son get some lessons while you pick Travis's brain about driving techniques related to heavy boats. Whether its general driving or the perfect upple dub (double up in general terms) Travis is king and has more experience than anyone behind the wheel of a wakeboat.

I'd love to go to Murray's camp just to get a lesson in driving from that guy. :)

if ya were asking if anyone has been to gordy's camp ya i have. it was great. i live in south ga and wakeboarding isnt real big where i live, so for my graduation present from my parents i went to his camp. before i went i could hardly get up but after about 5 days i was jumping wake to wake and doing one wake 180's. nothing too crazy but i really enjoyed it because i got to learn how to wakeboard