Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailering with bimini up

btbaeder

I recently installed a tower biminis XL for the illusion X tower on my 06 v-ride. I noticed that the instructions state not to exceed 40 mph with the bimini open. I have also noticed many boats trailer with the bimini open including one we test drove from the dealer and we had to drive down the interstate at 65+ to get to water. Does anyone have negative experiences trailering with the bimini up? Should I always stow the bimini prior to trailering?

Thanks,

The only problem I have encountered is the loss of a set screw that holds the part that inserts into the tower. The arm ended up flapping around for a while. Locktite on them all solved that one. I tow 15 miles, 55-65 mph, with no probelms. Dealer/friends do the same.

It's not that tough to take the bimini up and down, and I say better safe than sorry.

The only time I have towed with the bimini out is from a lake without fuel service into town for a quick gas up. I don't care how many people give me dirty looks, I never exceed 45 mph. I figure if the bimini can handle that speed on the water, then it should be able to handle it on the street.

But I put it away before taking it home.

It's not that tough to take the bimini up and down, and I say better safe than sorry.

Plus1.gif It is better to take a minute to take it down than to have to replace it or do some gelcoat repair. I see maybe the possibility of the gelcoat cracking where the eyelets are for the straps.

I noticed that the instructions state not to exceed 40 mph with the bimini open.

Thanks,

I'd go with the instructions! The bimini is really a wing. If you go too fast you are just asking for problems sooner or later.

I was told by my dealer that the bimini was freeway rated. Guess I need to ask him again, and perhaps show me where it says it's ok.

The thing about towing with the bimini up is the repercussions can be pretty severe if something cuts loose. Ripped out screws, ripped Sunbrella, broken windshield, bent stainless tubing, etc. It's just not worth the risk.

I've done it too, usually just quick trips up the freeway to the ramp or gas station. But always put it down if I'm driving more than a few miles.

Here is one for you. Last year I was driving from home from Sac and just before I got onto I-680 from 80 I noticed something flapping around. My bimini was stored folded in the sock that came with it and it had blown off and the bimini was blowing loose with a few seams that had let go. So much for towing at 65 mph with the bimini stored/folded in the factory sock...I was able to sew the seams back up so that it was still useable.

-Dave

I wouldn't tow with it extended, not worth the stress of it coming loose but my dealer did say you can tow with it Whistling.gif

Yeah, I was told "they call it the 70 mph bimini". I leave it up to tow back and forth to the river which is about 5 miles. I have an extension so stowing it is not an option, it's either all on or all off. I haven't had any problems yet though. Good reminder to check the screws and fittings periodically though.