Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

jenk2board

I have seen so many people put their boats on their trailers so many different ways. Sometimes, I like to sit at the boat launch and "watch" people attempt to put their boat on the trailer. So just wondering if you guys "power" the boat onto the trailer or pull it on with the winch. Which is the proper way?

Oh geeze, you're going to get a hundred different opinions on this one. I'll tell you how I do it. Because we boat on a river with a current to deal with, 9 o 10 times we do not drive the boat on. We winch it. Not to mention the water is a bit shallow at our ramp, and driving on will risk a dinged up prop and it piles rocks and debris up just behind the ramp. I'm sure others will chime in and give you their opinions.

BTW, try the "Search" feature. You will get several recent threads about this.

Ditto...depends on the grade of loading ramp however. My usual ramp, I am used to...so get it deep enough to have the boat glide within about 2 feet or so of the bow stop, then I (well, ahem...actually SHE) just nudges a bit of power on and thats it. I am OCD enough to spray the bunks with silicone spray 2-3 times/season but (not to re-live an old thread) I leave the boat hooked by the strap AND the safety chain during the unloading glide into the water so as to NOT lose the boat ONTO the ramp. IMHO, it makes it much easier to power on and since my hull is RED...makes me happy. Thumbup.gifWhistling.gif

I Power on.
Ditto...depends on the grade of loading ramp however. My usual ramp, I am used to...so get it deep enough to have the boat glide within about 2 feet or so of the bow stop, then I (well, ahem...actually SHE) just nudges a bit of power on and thats it. I am OCD enough to spray the bunks with silicone spray 2-3 times/season but (not to re-live an old thread) I leave the boat hooked by the strap AND the safety chain during the unloading glide into the water so as to NOT lose the boat ONTO the ramp. IMHO, it makes it much easier to power on and since my hull is RED...makes me happy. Thumbup.gifWhistling.gif
I Power on.

I've never heard of the silicon thing...what's that for?

Powering on is ok for a solid ramp. But the pond our camp is on has a marked off beach ramp that is two lanes wide, but so many people have powered on and off that it is now almost impossible to get two boats off side by side! Most people just back down the middle not thinking another person might want to use the ramp at the same time, these seem to be the same people that have to just barely back in and power on hard, multiple times, digging it up. If you don't back in the middle of the ramp one fender is under about a foot when the other is still out by 4-6 inches. Please think about this when powering on. I too power on with the old boat but very lightly, to get the boat set, then winch on the remaining few feet. The ramp is shallow and I have only launched the inboard boat a few times so I have pretty much just coasted on, being afraid of hitting the prop on the trailer or sucking up rocks.