Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater opinions requested

martho

1. Have you installed the 3 position switch or just wired it to on/off via one of the accessory switches on the dash? In my RLX, I wired it to the ACC with the medium speed wire. That way I had off and med. Just curious if anyone has a good reason for me to install the 3 speed switch?

2. Edwin installed his core on the floor behind the kick panel. Has anyone installed their core on the wall between the open bow and the driver area? Curious if that wall will hold the weight and how the install holds up to the vibration/beating from being on the water. The floor looks like the way to go, but I will entertain ideas.

3. If you look at the attached picture, the hot tube is installed under the dash against the left wall. If you have done this, how did you get the tube to secure to the side wall? In the photo you can see the screw hole in the bottom of the hot tube is empty. What other places have you put the hot tube in a RLXi?

4. Y pipe... I have read dozens of posts today. The majority say install in the raw water hose before the impeller with the open end of the Y facing the water pickup. This is how I had my heater in the RLX installed, but I am curious as to why some feel it is better to go after the impeller.

THANKS

post-77-1208046047_thumb.jpg

My 01 Response LX has the factory installed heater with a two speed toggle switch. Looks like your boat has the same switches. I'd ceck with the dealer to see one is available.

I have one mounted on the wall in the observer compartment without any problems, drivers side shouldn't be any different. The only problem with the Y-tube mounted before the raw pump is it the heater core or hose ruptures theres nothing to stop the water from filling up the boat. Thats why the hose from the water pickup is reinforced. Now I've had mine mounted before the raw pump on 3 boats without a problem and would probably put it there on the next boat.

Mark, my heaters have only had two position switches: high and low. I do go between those settings and am glad they're there.

Y before the impeller will get you a few more btus at idle. My current one is after the impeller and noticeably cooler at idle speed.

You could use zip strips to mount the snorkel as shown in the pic.

Good luck and have fun with it!

When I installed my heater, I did not use the heatercraft switch. I went to the dealer and got the switch the factory uses for the heater and put it in my dash in place of an unused acc switch. It's two speed, with center position being off. I wired in the med and high speeds of the fan, but for the most part high is the only one used.

A quick-connect bypass (or shutoff valves) in your heater core lines will prevent the situation onamission mentioned about putting the y fitting before the impeller.

Well, the heater install is nearing completion. I know the boat is a mess with little pieces of carpet, zip ties, etc. It will not look like that for long!!! I took a picture as I couldn't believe how many tools I had laying around the boat.

The one thing I have noticed is that the space behind the kick plate to the vertical wall narrows substantially between the plate and the wall. The heater with the mounting brackets is too wide to mount all the way back at the wall. I had to mount it closer to the kick plate location. Now, the hole in the floor where the cables and heater hoses come up is in the area where the heater needed to mount. I had to be really careful installing the heater brackets as to not pinch a cable or hose.

If you look at the following photos, you can tell that the heater is just about as far back as it could go without coming in contact with both walls. The photos don't do a good job of showing the distance. It is 10" from the back wall. Think about how far the fan motor sticks out, too.

In this photo, you can see the hole in the floor at the front, left corner of the heater.

post-77-1208487672_thumb.jpg

Edited by martho

Yo no se

No one seems to have the answer. As I wrap up the heater install tonight, I am going to trace the cable and see if it is even attached at the dash(or wherever it goes)

Yo no se

No one seems to have the answer. As I wrap up the heater install tonight, I am going to trace the cable and see if it is even attached at the dash(or wherever it goes)

If you bought your boat was used and it was previously used in tournaments it might be the cable used to connect to the sensor that pickup course magnets??