Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How long do you keep your boat?

Malibusteve

Average time you keep the same boat  

340 members have voted

1. 1. How long do you keep your boat or plan to keep it?

• less than 1 year...I have to have the latest & greatest
    • 1-3 years...I like the peace of mind that the warranty gives me
    • 3-5 years
    • 5 years or longer...I run it until it dies

One of the greatest things is that our Bu will be free and clear in less than two years! Rockon.gif

Free and Clear = Burn as much $5.00 or 6.00 per gallon gas as you want. (Adjusting for inflation in two years) Cry.gif

I'm sure that day will be a great feeling. Yahoo.gif Even if it needs work once and a while it's PAID FOR!!!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malibudude

• 68Slalom

• wienrdog

• martinarcher

I worked to hard and planned my boat out exactly how I wanted it so I don't ever have to buy another one. It's mine forever or at least until I can't wakeboard anymore. I figure I have a good 30 years to go. Clap.gif

We have had our first boat for 8 years, I would have kept it but turned to the dark side… I think we'll keep the new one for good.

I might suggest the poll be 5-10 years and then the last question forever.

Not so dark anymore, huh :)

Oh it's dark trust me, I've yet to ski this year... :( I couldn't even board yesterday... :(

I see you only have the 2000 Sunsetter listed in your profile now. Thumbup.gif

:)

I worked to hard and planned my boat out exactly how I wanted it so I don't ever have to buy another one. It's mine forever or at least until I can't wakeboard anymore. I figure I have a good 30 years to go. Clap.gif

I was boat debt free...until you smucks brainwashed and convinced the wife to get a new one....

We're only on the second season on our 'Bu. Although, I did own my Seadoo for 6 seasons before I traded up to a much bigger craft.

I am re-doing most of the interior seating and adding some goodies. I'd love to do PP too. With all that, I'd like to keep the boat a couple more seasons to enjoy it all.

Although, the SO really wants a V-drive (as do I), so I don't see keeping the Sunsetter toooo much longer.

1st boat 8+ years, 2nd boat 13+years, this boat 10+ for sure. If I have spare $$ for a new boat I'd probably get a used center consol or a jet sled and keep the 'bu.

This is my first boat and I'm planning on keeping it for as long as I can. I still have my 1st truck and it's got well over 10 years and 220K miles. I like to get my money's worth out of the things I buy. I think my next boat won't be for AT LEAST 10 years.... or until I hit the lottery!

Jet-Ski - 10 years

First boat - 6 years (Sold the two of them on the same day).

This boat - until they come out with a better ski based crossover than the 99-04 SLXi that easily holds 8 - or it gets destroyed by 'Act of God'/accident/theft.

Jet-Ski - 10 years

This boat - until they come out with a better ski based crossover than the 99-04 SLXi that easily holds 8 - or it gets destroyed by 'Act of God'/accident/theft.

Already happened, my friend. Trust me.

Jet-Ski - 10 years

I was thinking the exact same thing....VTX all the way.

The only problem would be if you wanted to ski the course with that wide of a boat.

-Chris

My family typically has a boat for about 10 years or so, until we find some kind of deal that we cannot resist.

I guess you're due soon... did I mention I have a sweet 2006 Response with only 80 hours for sale? Whistling.gif

I've owned some underwear longer than I have kept some of my boats (not to say most or maybe all...). I always intend to keep it for a long time, but something always happens that makes me want to change... Love.gif On the other hand, I have always had used cars and don't really spend much other than on barefoot related stuff. I guess it is my reason to work...

Edited by 1FootDan
Jet-Ski - 10 years

I was thinking the exact same thing....VTX all the way.

The only problem would be if you wanted to ski the course with that wide of a boat.

-Chris

Not a problem. I ran the course with my VTX last summer for a week at Lake Powell. We only ended up taking out 2 guides all week, and that is with 2 drivers that had never driven a course, and the only reason those buoys got hit was do to the sun in our eyes.

It was great. The only thing that I had to do was load the rudder a bit more to keep it tracking better.

Jet-Ski - 10 years

Whoops I guess I went to far... ;)

We have had our first boat for 8 years, I would have kept it but turned to the dark side… I think we'll keep the new one for good.

I might suggest the poll be 5-10 years and then the last question forever.

Not so dark anymore, huh :)

Oh it's dark trust me, I've yet to ski this year... :( I couldn't even board yesterday... :(

It's OK Dude, you can get a pull behind my debt free boat anytime. I'll even designate it a slalom boat for Memorial Weekend Thumbup.gif

For me 10-15 years on a boat.

I've heard both favorable and non-favorable comparisons of the VTX vs. SLXi Classic slalom wake from slalom enthusiasts who've skied behind both. The VTX is a great boat, but not better enough to make me spend $$$. Also, I may be in the minority, but prefer D-Drives to V-Drives.

We had our last boat for 16 years. I love my Sunsetter LXI. I will do whatever it takes to keep it forever and then will it to my kids when I die (which incidentally is when I am going to be able to retire).

• 1 month later...

When we bought our '99 there was no kids, and we were addicted to camping, outdoors and boating. (Not in that order..) Nine years, a 5 yr old, an'04 VLX and a newly started business later priorities and lifestyle are a little different to say the least. The season starts later and there are fewer trips mostly due to our other "boating" friends and us are finding fewer boat days (forget about weekends or long trips) available together. Now that our daughter is going on 6 she has shown more interest in the water, thus we will make a better effort to go more often.

I vote forever for our current boat. I would still have the '99 if I had only bought a V-drive in the first place...

Now way can I justify the cost of a new boat at the moment. (or the foreseeable future for that matter.)

Patrick

You'd have to pry my cold, dead fingers off my '99 SLXi's steering wheel before I would get rid of it. Biggrin.gif

Posted I was getting an 09, probably will not get anothe BU when this one is sold this fall or spring. Situation weekend retreat has changed, and joints are hurting more after a few days of boarding. Couple that with some graduate level education, and desire to change boating locations in the future, BU ownership is being scrutinized closely. Shocking.gif:(

Posted I was getting an 09, probably will not get anothe BU when this one is sold this fall or spring. Situation weekend retreat has changed, and joints are hurting more after a few days of boarding. Couple that with some graduate level education, and desire to change boating locations in the future, BU ownership is being scrutinized closely. Shocking.gif:(

At your age?!

Time to scrutinize you discipline of choice & find something with as much thrill but a little easier on your body. Rockon.gif

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I had to answer 3 - 5 since we've only owned it 4 years. That being said, we are very happy with the boat and I would guess we'll keep it until we're a) done with boating or B) it dies.

You'd have to pry my cold, dead fingers off my '99 SLXi's steering wheel before I would get rid of it. Biggrin.gif

Just make sure you don't end up having to eat those words...... Whistling.gif

I can answer 5+ years since I've had the SLXI for 8 yrs... Clap.gif

Isn’t it great to see the devotion of some DD owners exclaiming how much we treasure our choice and to notice the contentment that accompanies ownership of such a coveted water tractor for a long time without the desire to change from such a fine machine?

Especially for the truly versatile crossovers like the Sunsetters or SLXI's.

Could this be the reason they don’t make them anymore? Did everyone like them too much and keep them so long that it hurt the sale of new ones? Dontknow.gif

I know a lot of people went to the dark side, but it seems that such a flexible craft as the DD Sunsetter/SLXI would still be popular with people favoring slalom skiing, yet having a formidable wake available for that other sport, while having the roomy feel of a slightly larger family boat (compared to the LXI's, which are also awesome btw).

Things that make you go hmmmm.

Anyhow…what a warm fuzzy feeling. Biggrin.gif

We are now in our tenth season with our Sunsetter. I look and price new boats all the time but this one does all we ask it to do and they just don’t make them like they use to!

DSC01570.JPG

I couldn't agree more!! got 12 years still like new. BTW I had to look twice cause I'd swear you posted a picture of my boat. I got a titanIII which looks slightly different though