Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How long do you keep your boat?

Malibusteve

Average time you keep the same boat  

340 members have voted

1. 1. How long do you keep your boat or plan to keep it?

• less than 1 year...I have to have the latest & greatest
    • 1-3 years...I like the peace of mind that the warranty gives me
    • 3-5 years
    • 5 years or longer...I run it until it dies

Just curious as to how long (on average) you folks keep the same boat. I'm interested to know how many people purchase every year vs. every 3 years when the warranty is out or those that purchase for the long haul.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malibudude

• 68Slalom

• hyperlitenerd

• lakewaterjunky

We were planning on buying a new boat this year but I wasn't really happy on some of the features of 08' so we'll test some out and see what we want to do for next year. I voted 3-5 years :)

I plan on eventually giving the Bu to my daughters. It will be in the family for a very long time. As you can see from my signiture, I keep things very long. Also have 2, 1970 snowmobiles, and a 63 motorcycle. Brought everything new except for the motorcyle which was 6 years old when purchased. Everything is still original.

Had the old boat (four winns) for 17 years, will keep this one for at least 15 years. Unless there is a killer feature, that I (my dad) would be willing to pay the difference for. We've decided that the power wedge would not be worth the 10k for a new boat.

Had the old boat (four winns) for 17 years, will keep this one for at least 15 years. Unless there is a killer feature, that I (my dad) would be willing to pay the difference for. We've decided that the power wedge would not be worth the 10k for a new boat.

:lol: When dad's paying, guess who gets to decide? Even if he let's you "think" you have a say....

We'll have ours until we have too much money & nothing else left to spend it on. Cry.gif

I'd LOVE a new boat, but the list of things requiring $$$ just keeps me from getting to it. I was really close in '08 though. I love the new windshield!

I had my last BU for 16 years ('90 Euro F3) and I have to say it looked just about as good as they day I brought it home when I sold her. There were just too many improvements between then and now to not make the change.

I now have an '06 RLXi and plan to keep it for quite some time. I'm sure when I'm ready to make another change, the technology will have improved so much it will make it worth it. What's really nice, is that Malibu makes a boat that will last that long Yahoo.gif and that you would still feel good about taking to the lake.

Peter Brown is the devil! Somehow, he has managed to spin me into a new boat every year, for the past 10 years...

My last boat was supposed to be my LAST boat. But now THIS boat is supposed to be my last boat. And yet, somehow, without Peter ever mentioning it. . .the thought has crossed my mind to spin this one. . .

Must be his no pressure sales tactics. That Ba$tard. ;)

We are now in our tenth season with our Sunsetter. I look and price new boats all the time but this one does all we ask it to do and they just don’t make them like they use to!

DSC01570.JPG

Have to think that it will be over 5 years. Going on the third year now. For me it was such a big luxury to buy the bu, there is no way I could justify selling and getting a new one every couple of years....although I wish I could!

MalibuNation

I think this might be a once in a life time purchase for me ... being a "working stiff" it amazes me to see people buy a new boat every couple of years. Wish I could ... but very happy with what I have.

My father helped my brother and I buy our first Malibu...95 Echelon LX. My brother bought his first Malibu in 2000(Wakesetter VLX). Then I sold the Echelon in 2001 and purchagd my 2000 Sunsetter LX. I was content with the Sunsetter and had no plans on upgrading until I found a deal on a "leftover" 2007 VLX in October 2007.

So for me it's beens about ever 6-7 years before I upgrade.

Edited by jimw

Last boat I had for 6 years, just coming up on 2 for this one and could easily see our family using it well for another 8+.

I've owned my bu's from anywhere between 1 week and a year, I would say average is about 4 months...but I have yet to own a new 'bu.

-Chris

I try to be on the 3-4 year plan. But you never know when I will get the urge. Hopefully my current boat is my last one for a while.

:lol: When dad's paying, guess who gets to decide? Even if he let's you "think" you have a say....

We'll have ours until we have too much money & nothing else left to spend it on. Cry.gif

I'd LOVE a new boat, but the list of things requiring $$$ just keeps me from getting to it. I was really close in '08 though. I love the new windshield!

Oh I know who's decision it is. He said if I could front the difference we could trade it in. But I didn't see that I would get another 10k of enjoyment out of it.

We have had our first boat for 8 years, I would have kept it but turned to the dark side… I think we’ll keep the new one for good.

I might suggest the poll be 5-10 years and then the last question forever.

We have had our first boat for 8 years, I would have kept it but turned to the dark side… I think we’ll keep the new one for good.

Not so dark anymore, huh :)

We have had our first boat for 8 years, I would have kept it but turned to the dark side… I think we'll keep the new one for good.

Oh it's dark trust me, I've yet to ski this year... :( I couldn't even board yesterday... :(

We had our last boat 4 years, but it wasn't the right boat. Our VTX diamond hull skis well, boards well and, of course, cocktails well Wine.gif . We plan on keeping this for longer.

We have had our first boat for 8 years, I would have kept it but turned to the dark side… I think we'll keep the new one for good.

Oh it's dark trust me, I've yet to ski this year... :( I couldn't even board yesterday... :(

I see you only have the 2000 Sunsetter listed in your profile now. Thumbup.gif

Our Sunsetter performs great at all levels and we have no need what so ever to change to a different or newer boat, especially during this economy.

Unless something bad happened to our beloved water tractor (I.E. theft, fallen tree etc.), I don’t see any reason for us changing into anything else for a very long time.

In fact, it really wouldn’t surprise me if we still have the Sunsetter after both of our children are out of the house. (They’re 11 & 8 now)

One of the greatest things is that our Bu will be free and clear in less than two years! Rockon.gif

(and we bought it in January of 06)

Edited by lakewaterjunky