Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

On The Water

VinRLX

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VinRLX

• SmoothWaterMan

• 1FootDan

• WakeGirl

Say what you want about the new LXi, but I really like the way it looks on the water. Especially your boat Jack, it's gorgeous!

Plus1.gif

and what makes it that much sweeter is the teak on the back...

Class all the way Rockon.gif

Hey Will, you KNOW I'll be in the water before you! Crazy.gif

Wrong again Jack... I was skiing on Wednesday morning!

Yahoo.gif Had a great day with Drew Ross, Thomas Degasperi, Glen Campbell, and Mariana Mosti.

had to offset all of that "ugly" surrounding the driver. ROFL.gif

Yup. That boat is so gorgeous even YOU could drive it.

Sweet boat jack. See if you can get a nice shot of the glitter.

Absolutely will do. I tried to match the hull with the metal flake, so when it wasn't glittering it would look like one color. I think it works pretty well. But when that sun hits it--WaWow!

Hey Will, you KNOW I'll be in the water before you! Crazy.gif

Had a great day with Drew Ross, Thomas Degasperi, Glen Campbell, and Mariana Mosti.

Will, that doesn't count. Unless they were up here skiing on Sunapee! ;) Oh yeah, an astute observation, Peter called it--we want pics. Please don't tell me you left the camera charger home. . .I think you have recurring problems with technology and electricity. Tease.gif

Thought you boys might enjoy a 'Then and Now' picture. Only problem for me is, now I understand how someone could be a polygamist. Biggrin.gif

post-30-1208088547_thumb.jpg

I like the silver...on the boat not the driver Tease2.gif

Ok, look you young punk, I hope you're not out this way looking for a pull sometime. You'll get no such satisfaction from this silver-haired driver. Mad.gif

Oh, alright. I would still take you skiing. I don't stay mad long. :lol:

Thought you boys might enjoy a 'Then and Now' picture. Only problem for me is, now I understand how someone could be a polygamist. Biggrin.gif

post-30-1208088547_thumb.jpg

No offense, but I like the then better...exept for the moustache. :blush:

Edited by 1FootDan
Break it in good and hard and it should be "almost" as snappy out of the hole as your RLX. :) I wonder if some of that loss of out of the hole performance comes from the drive and shift by wire.

I wonder how much of that has to do with the Cats? I know that they claim no power loss, but I'm a big skeptic on that one. General rule of thumb (or maybe it should be old school rule of thumb) is that you can't add more restriction & expect to not lose at least some power. Also, what prop are you running on this one vs. the '03?

Say what you want about the new LXi, but I really like the way it looks on the water. Especially your boat Jack, it's gorgeous!

So true. They look so much better on the water too, most people that haven't seen one in person on the water may not believe that but it's true. A very, very sexy boat.

Jack,

What's the deal with that swim platform being so far off the water? I saw that in your teak thread & wondered about it from the first pic that you posted.

Jack,

What's the deal with that swim platform being so far off the water? I saw that in your teak thread & wondered about it from the first pic that you posted.

That's what happens when the driver weighs in at what.... 100 lbs? He must put weight up front to keep the hotrod look....

Break it in good and hard and it should be "almost" as snappy out of the hole as your RLX. :) I wonder if some of that loss of out of the hole performance comes from the drive and shift by wire.

I wonder how much of that has to do with the Cats? I know that they claim no power loss, but I'm a big skeptic on that one. General rule of thumb (or maybe it should be old school rule of thumb) is that you can't add more restriction & expect to not lose at least some power. Also, what prop are you running on this one vs. the '03?

I can tell you the cats have elimiated the smell...

So true. They look so much better on the water too, most people that haven't seen one in person on the water may not believe that but it's true. A very, very sexy boat.

Jack,

Persoanlly the RLX is still a sweet boat and if I could get a DD along side our evil boat that'd be it. The RLXI is awesome but the RLX just screams slalom machine to me...

Jack,

That's what happens when the driver weighs in at what.... 100 lbs? He must put weight up front to keep the hotrod look....

Is that boat as sensitive to weight placement as I've been hearing? Oh, & that's 100 lbs dripping wet, right? ;)

No offense, but I like the then better...exept for the moustache. :blush:
Oh, & that's 100 lbs dripping wet, right? ;)

Ok, ok, ok. You can ALL :biteme:

Platform height is something I hadn't even noticed until Matt mentioned it in the platform thread. Guess I'll find out the functionality later today when I GO SKIING! Yahoo.gif

Tracie, I'm not sure yet about sensitivity to weight placement. I can tell you with my 03 that the passengers ALWAYS outweighed the driver (my wife only weighs a few pounds more than me LOL) and the boat listed to port. The other day I had two people in the observers' seat, one on the floor in the middle, and the boat barely tipped left.

Regarding the CATS and power: My feeling is that this hull is not as instantly, push-you-into-the-seat-quick as my old boat. But the 03 weighed 400# less and had a smaller hull. The WSM BBG also shows 08 RLXi being slower to 36 by roughly one second+ (than the 03 RLX). Real world experience? How does it compare to the 03-06 RLXi? What about this variable and that variable? Does any of this matter? Can't really say, only can tell you what it feels like to me. Also, last boat had standard mufflers, this boat has CATS, Silent Riders, and STE.

Other info: Prop is an ACME 13x11.5. One passenger said he thought it was quicker out of the hole. My neighbor, a regular ski partner and 99 RLX owner, says it feels smoother to speed and glides up on plane faster. These two observations come without me using all of the throttle. Speaking of which, I *think* when I am able to open it up and use GPS it may be faster on the top end than my 03. . Drool.gif

This boat is definitely very sexy on the water. When the wife drove it over from the launch site, I saw it for the first time. It was. . .magical. If the platform weren't already on the boat, I'd have rubbed my wood. ;)

Jack,

I think a little of it has to do with the addition of the cats but I think the cats influence is stronger at the higher revs. I think that it's mostly the computer controlling how much fuel gets to the cylinders. I think they dialed that way back and the result is a smoother yet less stressful pull up(said in my most PC voice). This is also true for the other brands too BTW.

This boat is definitely very sexy on the water. When the wife drove it over from the launch site, I saw it for the first time. It was. . .magical. If the platform weren't already on the boat, I'd have rubbed my wood. ;)

Woah!!..familly forum here..

Edited by 1FootDan

Apparently the engines with cats have an oxygen sensor that controls the right gas/air ratio. Apparently this is why it is more fuel efficient and performant.

Since it's been mentioned a few times about exhaust......putting a restriction in can reduce flow on the top end, but will usually improve torque on the bottom end. But "snappy-ness" out of the hole, or acceleration as felt by the buttometer usually comes from torque. So I really don't think the addition of cats would make it feel more sluggish on take off. Now like I said you could lose a few ponies at the top end, unless these were engineered for high flow, which they very well may have been.