Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas fill up on lake or run to the gas station?

sarasetp

I will be keeping my Bu on the lake so I won’t be trailering the boat throughout the summer. Knowing that gas is going to be expensive this year, I wanted to know your opinion on whether I would save enough money filling up gas cans at the gas station and then running them to the boat to fill up, which seems like a hassle or is the extra cost to use the lake’s marina to fill up worth the hassle. I am unsure how much more it is to fill up on the lake than it is to go to a normal gas station for gassing up my boat. I have a 55 Gallon tank in my 23’ LSV.

Using a gas can seems like a hassle to me because it will be a lot of trips back and forth to the lake to fill a 55 gallon tank than it is to just pull the boat up to the marina to fill up. But, I just do not want to be gouged by the marina. What do you think is better, less hassle or cheaper?

Since gas on the lake in my hood can be $1.65 more than town, twin gas fills and two siphon hoses are my best friends.

Assume the position..... because your gonna get it this year.

We have always used gas cans because of the marina prices or where the gas was or if it is even on the lake. I just carry a couple of can in my truck at all times. And ask my regular crew to bring gas with them when they come out.

But then again, we don't have a 55 gallon tank either. Nor do I want it with $4 gas coming.

Assume the position..... because your gonna get it this year.

We have always used gas cans because of the marina prices or where the gas was or if it is even on the lake. I just carry a couple of can in my truck at all times. And ask my regular crew to bring gas with them when they come out.

But then again, we don't have a 55 gallon tank either. Nor do I want it with $4 gas coming.

I usually pull into the fuel dock while boating with a load of people. The majority of my friends will offer up $20 for a fun day on the lake. By pulling in to the fuel dock they get the message without feeling like you are out right asking for $$. If nobody offers then I'll usually make sure their bottle of vodka makes it's way into my duffle bag to stock the bar at home. =)

We also do what Bill_AirJunky does with a few gas cans. While putting $100 into my suburban I'll fill up a few cans of gas for the boat. It's only a PITA to use gas cans if you have to make a special run to get it.

I will be keeping my Bu on the lake so I won’t be trailering the boat throughout the summer. Knowing that gas is going to be expensive this year, I wanted to know your opinion on whether I would save enough money filling up gas cans at the gas station and then running them to the boat to fill up, which seems like a hassle or is the extra cost to use the lake’s marina to fill up worth the hassle. I am unsure how much more it is to fill up on the lake than it is to go to a normal gas station for gassing up my boat. I have a 55 Gallon tank in my 23’ LSV.

Using a gas can seems like a hassle to me because it will be a lot of trips back and forth to the lake to fill a 55 gallon tank than it is to just pull the boat up to the marina to fill up. But, I just do not want to be gouged by the marina. What do you think is better, less hassle or cheaper?

I have tried to figure this out very much lately because of the increased gas prices at the marina. I have a 38 gallon tank in my Sporster. The fuel at the dock is about $1.25 a gallon more at the marina over pulling the boat out of the water and driving it to the next freeway exit to get the reduced price of fuel. On a normal ski day, I burn about 20 gallons. The cost to fill at the dock runs about $25.00 more a day than going to the land fuel station. Is the $25.00 saved worth pulling out the boat and going to the land station? Only you can decide that. In my case, unhooking the motorhome and driving it is not worthwhile. Not only is it time consuming, the motorhome will use some of that fuel savings by driving it to the land gas station

I run premium in my bu' and the boat docks where I'm at only have 87 octane. With gas prices this year though, I may move down to midgrade. I trailer my boat to the lake, so I just fill up on the way to or from the lake.

I built a 90 gallon fuel tank for the back of my pickup. I go to our location Oil company and buy my gas and carry it with me. At the end of the year I have to send in my receipts to the state for my $.175 a gallon rebate.

I always have never understood marinas charging more for gas, because it should be cheaper than road fuel because you don't have to pay road use tax on a boat. You can actually get a additional $.18 gallon Federal off if you have a commercial fishing license. But it would be hard to prove your a commercial fisherman in a Malibu....LOL

Every little bit helps....

• 2 weeks later...

5 gallon cans. Been doing it that way for 20 years. With the same cans, for that matter! And a big funnel with hose attached so I only bend over when getting the gas, not when I pour it into the boat! Whistling.gif

• 3 months later...

Gas Caddies. They come in a ton of sizes. They have options for electric pumps or gravity feeds. Wheels.

Whole lot better then 5 gallons at a time.

So how do you get a gas caddie out of your truck or across a sandy beach when they weigh a ton? Always seemed like more of a PITA than gas cans.

Typically I want to pull the boat out every couple weeks to clean it anyway, or take it somewhere else. So I pull it out, gas it up, clean it, then drop it back in (busy Saturdays are great times for this). Then thru the next week or two, I'll throw a couple of gas cans in my truck & fill them whenever it's convenient. As the boat gas goes down, I refill it using the gas cans. 30 gallon tank, 2 gas cans & I can stretch it for at least 2 or 3 weeks easily... and thats riding &/or booze cruisin 3 or 4 nights/mornings per week. Then it's time to pull the boat & clean it anyway.

I don't know if you are keeping your boat at a marina or you have a lake house, but I live on the water and have a 500 gallon tank that a company comes and fills up when we need them to...they give it to us for almost $1 less per gallon than fillin up on the road...and that is $2 less per gallon than fillin up on the lake.

Gas cans for sure. That extra $1.00+ per gallon adds up in a hurry with these boats. I have two 12-gallon cans and a 6 gallon can for my VLX (40 gal tank). When my gauge reads 1/4 tank, I put 30 gal in...that gets me back to full. For every fill I do this way (usually weekly to bi-weekly), I save roughly $36. In the course of a summer, I'll save somewhere over $500 by doing a little 20 minute manual work and not giving in to the rip-off marina gas.