Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Acme or OJ

jesutton3

I'm considering getting a new prop and wanted to get some opinions on the two brands. What is everyone's preference on brand? Any pros and cons of either? The boat is an 01 VLX with the 320 Monsoon.

I don't really think it's going to come to a "brand" decision. Both are reputable companies that are great to work with. The choice will come down to picking the prop specs that you think will best suit your needs....although they both have props of similar shapes and sizes. OJ has the "try it out" option, which sounds like a good idea if it's not a hassle. Pick a prop, buy it, if you don't like it you exchange it for a different one, or something like that.

I'm considering getting a new prop and wanted to get some opinions on the two brands. What is everyone's preference on brand? Any pros and cons of either? The boat is an 01 VLX with the 320 Monsoon.

I ran nothing but OJ for years, until ACME started sponsoring my ski team. Their customer service is excellent, as are their props.

They will cut a prop with a pitch tuned down to 1/8", as OJ only has sizes every inch or 2 (As far as i know).

Their CNC props are works of art out of the box, and run extremely smooth. I'm an Acme customer for life now.

When you call to order a prop, know what is on your boat, and know your WOT RPM's and speed. Describe the changes you want to make.

They will set you up with the exact prop for the job.

James,

You've been on mine and Rhett's with the Acme 537 (I know he had that prop his first year but don't know if he changed his last year too). It does fine with a "light" load - less than 2000lbs ballast. but with a full boat and/or with wedge down it will bog while trying to get on plane. After adding few hundred lbs more to ours I went with the OJ 475 like many others on here, and am happy with the results. It gets on plane with less strain when loaded (I have 2250lbs) plus people. I only use the wedge when surfing anymore. For comparison, Matt is running the Acme 1235 on his X2. I know you've been behind his too. don't hesitate to give Eric a call at OJ as he'll be very helpful with suggestions.

Like mentioned above, both brands are nice. they both run smooth out of the box. You just need to figure out what pitch you need given your boat, motor and amount of ballast.

Edited by mcdave

Has anyone experienced their steering wheel shaking when switching props?

My steering wheel shook violently under any load when I bought the boat. A few months later we switched props (stock prop from dealer still) and for the most part the shaking has gone away.

Has anyone experienced their steering wheel shaking when switching props?

My steering wheel shook violently under any load when I bought the boat. A few months later we switched props (stock prop from dealer still) and for the most part the shaking has gone away.

I bought a 05 vlx last Sept, only used it a couple of times, my steering wheel shutters for a couple of seconds when I throttle up from a stand still. After the shutter stops the boat runs perfectly fine, no unusual vibration after that. My dealer says the prop has a small knick in it but I looked and it doesn't. I'm thinking about changing to an acme 1235. For the most part, I'll run the boat sacked up whenever I'm in the water. Anyone have any suggestions about the shutter or the best acme prop to use???