Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

oj 475...any good?

greenworks

Fellas looking to take advantage of the group buy but I haven't heard much about the oj 475 mostly only the acme 1235. Boat will have 2000lbs of ballast in it don't much care about top end looking for holeshot,fuel milage and speed consistany over the stock oj malibu prop.

Am I going to like the oj?

I have never had the 1235, but i just got my OJ475 and LOVE it!! The holeshot is great and I didnt really see to much of a drop on the top end. We had the ballast full, wedge down and 7 people in the boat. It also seemed like the speed was holding a bit better then with the stock 537.

I give it a Thumbup.gif

I've got an OJ 475: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....=prop&st=20

I like it alot. We spend our time split, 50% with a light load skiing, and 50% heavily loaded for surfing and wakeboarding typically with a large crew. The 475 made a HUGE difference. The thing is a rocket out of the hole, even with 12 or 14 people on board. RPM's around 30mph only increased about 300 from what it was with the stock prop, so I cannot complain much there either. It made a big difference in handling, maintaining the correct speed, and hole shot.

What are the specs on the OJ475? I can't seem to find it on their website. I see a 474 and a 476. I'm looking to replace my stock prop as well on the VLX. I'm currently borrowing an OJ w/ similar specs to the Acme, and I can say that I had to b**** slap my driver for yanking my arms off. The hole shot was incredible, but we were lightly loaded. Top end was down about 3mph, but I don't go much about 22.5 anyway. I did notice that speed held much better in the turns w/ the wedge down.

For comparison, the Acme 1235

1235 14.50 14.25 .105 cup 4 1 1/8" LH

According to this post: Link

#475 - 14.25 X 14.5 LC 1 1/8" 4-BLADE .090 CUP

Great, now you guys have me thinking about spending more money. I recently changed from the 381 (stock) to the 537. Adding ballast for this year so maybe I should look at the OJ 475

edit: The specs look very similar to the 1235. Is there really that much difference?

Edited by vette-ski

I had to dig out my old test on this prop. Mind you, I've never run a 1235 so I can't speak to that prop, just the 475 compared with the stock Acme 537. Here's the link to my post:

Link

Those tests were all done on a private lake, back to back. So we got really good direct comparisons under the same conditions in a semi-controlled environment. Now, that post was made before I had a chance to test the prop here at home. I ended up selling the 475, because what I found is that while it really performed much better than that 537 at close to sea level, when I brought it home to higher altitudes the gains went away. So for me, it wasn't worth spending the money on.

According to this post: Link

#475 - 14.25 X 14.5 LC 1 1/8" 4-BLADE .090 CUP

Great, now you guys have me thinking about spending more money. I recently changed from the 381 (stock) to the 537. Adding ballast for this year so maybe I should look at the OJ 475

edit: The specs look very similar to the 1235. Is there really that much difference?

Shocking.gif I may be getting you to spend more money. Love.gif. Tease.gif

I have had both the 1235 and 475 on my 03 VLX. Both have great hole shot but I found the 1235 to hit the Rev limiter and I didn't like that. I do know ACME has the same a prop with the same specs as the 1235 but with .150 cup. Have not had it on yet but would love to test it out.

Tracie, refresh my memory. When at Higher alt the hole shot or top end went away?

This is why the thread "How do you prop you boat" is so important

You guys all have wake hulls and I have the Diamond, so I don't know how much difference that will make. Also, has anyone noticed the 475 kicking up a larger rooster tail and how far back is it (issue for slalom skiing since I still ride the skinny stick occasionally).

I had to dig out my old test on this prop. Mind you, I've never run a 1235 so I can't speak to that prop, just the 475 compared with the stock Acme 537. Here's the link to my post:

Link

Those tests were all done on a private lake, back to back. So we got really good direct comparisons under the same conditions in a semi-controlled environment. Now, that post was made before I had a chance to test the prop here at home. I ended up selling the 475, because what I found is that while it really performed much better than that 537 at close to sea level, when I brought it home to higher altitudes the gains went away. So for me, it wasn't worth spending the money on.

Also note that Tracie has the Hammerhead, not Monsoon - so it's not an apples to apples thing.

I have the 1235 on my VTX (diamond hull) and it performs really well. Since I needed a spare prop anyway, I picked up a 475. It sits comfortably in a box in the boat, yet to be used. This spring I plan on doing some back to back comparisons, but cant give you any date for said tests.

One more thing:

Last time I put an OJ 4 blade prop on a boat (SSLxi), I noticed the rooster was less and the wake was softer than the prop I took off. It seems that Edwin had similar results in his tests, but remember that his tests were on an inboard, not a V-drive.

I was surprised to see that the oj475 was 2 lbs heavier then the 537. Looking at them side by side you can see that the Oj had more meat on it.

According to the shipping weights. I did not way them side by side.

Edited by txwakejunkie

Link

Also note that Tracie has the Hammerhead, not Monsoon - so it's not an apples to apples thing.

I have the 1235 on my VTX (diamond hull) and it performs really well. Since I needed a spare prop anyway, I picked up a 475. It sits comfortably in a box in the boat, yet to be used. This spring I plan on doing some back to back comparisons, but cant give you any date for said tests.

I will be very interested to see that report of the two with the diamond hull. Please use GPS for your speeds. Thumbup.gif

I was surprised to see that the oj475 was 2 lbs heavier then the 537. Looking at them side by side you can see that the Oj had more meat on it.

yes your right about that and can tell you Whistling.gif the OJ has taken a few hits with out a problem.

Link

Good point, but I think that it is good data since we were able to literally compare them back to back. I also drove another VLX with the Monsoon that weekend that had been equipped with the OJ 468, & IMO that was a good match for that boat. After driving both boats with those props I think that the 475 may be a bit too tall for the Monsoon, but it's just a suspicion.

The OJ is a very beefy prop. I have to believe that it would hold up to a hit better than an Acme, but that's JMO.

Link

Good point, but I think that it is good data since we were able to literally compare them back to back. I also drove another VLX with the Monsoon that weekend that had been equipped with the OJ 468, & IMO that was a good match for that boat. After driving both boats with those props I think that the 475 may be a bit too tall for the Monsoon, but it's just a suspicion.

The OJ is a very beefy prop. I have to believe that it would hold up to a hit better than an Acme, but that's JMO.

I was happy to see the extra meat for sure, we spend most of our time on the river. You never know what you will come across on there.

Woody has had both the 468 and 475 on his 05 VLX with the Monsoon. The 468 is a great match for that boat if your going to be on a private lake, loading it down with a lot of weight and or not running at high speeds. What we had seen is it would just touch the rev limiter (on this boat just over sea level) and ran a few higher RPM's. Now this same prop in a high alt area would work sweet Thumbup.gif on a Monsoon. IMO but when wanting the best of all worlds the 475 is my pick for lower elevations. JMO.

Greenworks,

I have the sane boat & run similiar weight. I bought the OJ 475 through the group buy. It's is awesome. Brings the boat with ballast out of the water no problem. Even add the wedge & it still comes out fine. Top speed is decent also, Very heavy duty unit. Highly recommend.............

Greenworks,

I have the sane boat & run similiar weight. I bought the OJ 475 through the group buy. It's is awesome. Brings the boat with ballast out of the water no problem. Even add the wedge & it still comes out fine. Top speed is decent also, Very heavy duty unit. Highly recommend.............

thanks everyone I was going to buy a oj through the group buy but today I ordered my titan II through my local dealer and asked about the prop he sells acme and I got it (1235) and puller cheaper than the group buy.....go figure. Anyway either way I am sure I will be happy!

Jason Thumbup.gif