Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just bought a new Malibu....

UberXY

Well, after 9 seasons of using a trouble free Toyota Epic 22, I decided to get a new boat. Stopped by the local Malibu dealer who had this very nice 21 LSV Sunscape with the 340 for 30% off MSRP. Pick it up next week. Lake Anna, Virginia.

Steve

malibu.jpg

Well, after 9 seasons of using a trouble free Toyota Epic

I smiled when you mentioned trouble free. One of the lucky ones :blush:

I think you're going to love your new boat!

Edit:

I apologize for my ignorance. It was a common misperception that Toyota was a flawed boat, when in reality the only notable flaw was on a select number of boats made after a mold had been damaged in the sun, resulting in those boats having a hull defect predisposing them to chine walking.

Epic left the market in 2001, due to inability to compete in limited market, with a small pipeline and even smaller dealer network, on top of an expensive recall (replacing entire boat) for that one model. It didn't help the economy tanked too.

Edited by fever5
If you don't mind me asking, what is a Toyota Epic 22

BTW, nice boat!

Here's a link with some interesting information:

Toyota Epic Ski Boats

Interesting about the recall due to chine lock....the recalled boats were replaced with Brand New Boats

Yeah, the recall thing was strange. I received a letter from Toyota Marine telling me to bring my boat to a dealer for a free "courtesy upgrade", which at the time seemed like a thinly disguised recall. I took the boat in and they did a few hundred dollars worth of little things, like a handle on the transom, step pads on the gunnels, etc. Mine was not one of the warped boats. That was the first - and only - time I ever took the boat in for any work. In 9 summers, the only repairs I made, besides oil changes and winterizing, were two spark plugs and two impellers.

I am stoked about this new boat. Should be accessorized and on the lake next week. We are boating into the marina with the Epic and boating out with the Malibu, and will swap trailers later in the day.

Steve

Congratulations on the fantastic purchase! It is a nice-looking boat and it sounds like you got a great deal as well.

Do you do much slalom? If so, I would really like to hear your impressions after you get a chance to ski behind the 21LSV diamond. I always enjoy reading the true opinions that people take the time to post on this great site and find the knowledge to be extremely valuable in planning a (hopeful) future Malibu purchase.