Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat hours question.

Jeffro84

How does a boat accumulate hours? Is it when the engine is running or is it when the the key is turned. I see ads for used boats that mention stereo hours.

How does a boat accumulate hours? Is it when the engine is running or is it when the the key is turned. I see ads for used boats that mention stereo hours.

The hour meter will run if the key is turned on even if the motor is not running. If you take it to a dealer they can do a disgnostic test and determine the actual engine hours.

Great answer Mike. Dead on. If you are looking to buy a used boat and the owner is claiming many "stereo hours", I would highly recommend that you take it to a dealer to get the engine hours verified prior to purchase.

An easy question that should have and easy answer.

When I bought my 'bu (2006) I was told (byt he dealer) when the key is in the "on" position (first click to the right) the hours are ticking. Click to the left for accessories to be on without the hours ticking off. I have never verified this, I just always use the accessory position when not running the engine. Many have said on other threads that newer boats won't tick off hours unless the engine is actually on. Certainly if the engine is on the hours are clicking.

I'm guessing "stereo" hours are hours accumulated both running the engine and with the key in the "on" (rather than accessory) position. Since you can't verify this, you have to assume they are all running hours, at least I would.

Edit: Man... 3 people answered in the time it took me to type my answer.

Edited by CedarLakeSkier

In my 2000 RLX I accedently left the key on until the battery died, 4 days. I freaked out as I thought that my hours were going to read through the roof. Come to find out that your RPM's have to be above a certain # for the computer to register any hours. I charged the battery and the hours never moved.

I spoke with my delaer about it and he is the one who verified the RPMs, if I remeber correctly it was 500 or 600.

In my 2000 RLX I accedently left the key on until the battery died, 4 days. I freaked out as I thought that my hours were going to read through the roof. Come to find out that your RPM's have to be above a certain # for the computer to register any hours. I charged the battery and the hours never moved.

I spoke with my delaer about it and he is the one who verified the RPMs, if I remeber correctly it was 500 or 600.

That's interesting. I've never heard of that before, but what do I know Dontknow.gif

IIRC, on my RLX a little hour glass symbol blinks where the hours display only when the boat is accumulating hours. When the key is in the "on" position, I don't believe the hour glass symbol is present.

Chris

While playing with the stereo, washing and doing maint things, I normally listen to the stereo. I have watched the hours many times just to make sure, they did not increase with the key on.

Depends on the year of boat. My 97 Echelon ticked hours when the key was on, engine not running. I don't recall on my 99 SSLxi, but on my 07 VTX, it does not tick if the engine is not actually running.

Absolutely depends on the year of the boat. My '02 Sunsetter will not spin the hour meter until a certain RPM, but not with the key on.

If you're buying an older boat with some claimed 'stereo hours' on it, the ONLY way to get an accurate reading of engine hours is to have the ECM scanned (if it has an ECM). Otherwise, I guess you'll have to take the previous owners word for how many hours on the meter are not actually engine hours.

And BTW, my listening to my stereo in the driveway does not require the key be in the on position.

Absolutely depends on the year of the boat. My '02 Sunsetter will not spin the hour meter until a certain RPM, but not with the key on.

If you're buying an older boat with some claimed 'stereo hours' on it, the ONLY way to get an accurate reading of engine hours is to have the ECM scanned (if it has an ECM). Otherwise, I guess you'll have to take the previous owners word for how many hours on the meter are not actually engine hours.

And BTW, my listening to my stereo in the driveway does not require the key be in the on position.

i have done it both ways On and ACC, The only reason i did it in the on pos is to watch the hours. The hours do not show in the acc pos.

Yea, this the only boat I've ever owned that does not require the keys at all to have the stereo to be on. Hopefully it doesn't prove to be an issue down the road.