Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gauges used in 97

Does anyone know what brand gauges Malibu used in 97. I didn't see anything on the front of the gauges, and I haven't pulled the console to look at the back of them.

I need a new temperature gauge.

The secondary gauges used in early '97 are Teleflex. Late model year boats may have had the new Medallion gauges used in '98.

Can you get a picture of them?

Let me back the "new temperature gauge" train up real quick.

I've been dealing w/ a temperature gauge that hasn't worked for the last 2 seasons. The thermostat & sending unit were both replaced last season by my mechanic, leaving on the gauge & wire left. To check if the gauge worked, I grounded the brown/black wire and the temp gauge pinged itself. My understanding says this test determines if the gauge is good or not.

Tonight I jiggled the wire and was able to get a temperature reading, but the gauge is reading anywhere between 20-30 degrees variance in a matter of seconds (it doesn't stay on the same temp. very long).

So, if my gauge "works", and the thermostat and sending unit are new, does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this variance. Am I looking at a bad wire/bad connection? Something else?

Knowing my luck, the stupid thing won't work tomorrow...

If jiggling the wire got you a reading on the gauge, there's a good chance one of the contacts on the circuit board in the gauge, or the connection of the wire itself isn't secure, and that's why the needle is fluctuating.

I would recommend picking up a cheap generic gauge to test with (you can probably get one at Autozone for less than $20). If that solves the problem, then try to track down an exact match for the rest of the gauges in your dash.

Based on the tests you've performed so far though, I would say you've isolated the problem to something in the gauge.