Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bag for Sand...Ballast

bofer84

Im hoping to add about 350lbs in sand weight to the front of my BU. It will be going in the storage areas under the front seats. Any ideas on what to put the sand into. I was thinking a couple of plastic trash bags...double bagged :) then some sort of canvas bag over that and sew it shut. I just don't want sand to get everywhere.

Any ideas??

Im hoping to add about 350lbs in sand weight to the front of my BU. It will be going in the storage areas under the front seats. Any ideas on what to put the sand into. I was thinking a couple of plastic trash bags...double bagged :) then some sort of canvas bag over that and sew it shut. I just don't want sand to get everywhere.

Any ideas??

Your asking for a big mess. Do you have any idea how much sand 350# is, no thanks. If I were you I'd go for a balast bag and a pump, the long fligh high 400# sac will fit underneith your seats up front and come back into the bow walkway a little bit. Don't nickel and dime your boat to death.

Any ideas??

Your asking for a big mess. Do you have any idea how much sand 350# is, no thanks. If I were you I'd go for a balast bag and a pump, the long fligh high 400# sac will fit underneith your seats up front and come back into the bow walkway a little bit. Don't nickel and dime your boat to death.

make a great anchor Thumbup.gif

I did the sand bag thing in my old supra comp, not a good idea. Any time you have a big crew go and the boat wont plain or in your case take a wave over the nose that will fill the boat, the bags will go over the side!

buy a fat sac Biggrin.gif

and you'll be chilli dipping your bow all the time with the rear ballast empty.

Chili dipping? Learned something today!

I agree, the bow weight is great if the rest of your boat is weighted. But the day it's not will make it an interesting to drive without "chili dipping" the bow in the drink.

I have a locker sack from an old boat & plan on installing it underneath the seats/play pen cushion for just this purpose.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Agreed bad idea. If you are dead set on it though, get some heavy plastic soil sampling bags that soil engineers use for sampling. Double bag with those as they are much thicker and stronger than trash bags. Good luck.

The only reason why i was thinking sand was it would be cheap...well, pretty much free actually. I am going to my lakehouse here in a few weeks with about 13 people. I already have 2 440s for the rear lockers, and i have the MLS ballast in the ski locker. I feel like i just need something upfront, especially with that many people in the rear part of the boat.

What sack would you recommend that would fit under the front seat area, and come back into the walkway a bit. I also herd a lot of these make the seat rise up??

The only reason why i was thinking sand was it would be cheap...well, pretty much free actually. I am going to my lakehouse here in a few weeks with about 13 people. I already have 2 440s for the rear lockers, and i have the MLS ballast in the ski locker. I feel like i just need something upfront, especially with that many people in the rear part of the boat.

What sack would you recommend that would fit under the front seat area, and come back into the walkway a bit. I also herd a lot of these make the seat rise up??

Maybe throw a couple of them up front? Dontknow.gif

If your just talking about putting the sand in there temporarily, it should work. But getting it out might be a royal PITA. A regular garbage bag will rip easily so get something heavier.

Fly High's integrated bow sack. Just don't fill it all the way up.

Another option is some weights...... like dumbbells. Just be sure to pad under the seats good.

bofer84: here is what I have done for bow weight (FYI: this is on a 21ft 2000 vlx wakesetter):

I currently have tee-d off the pump intake in the center locker and have a jabsco reversible in there running through the center locker, up underneath the dash and into the bow cupholder area. I have a 750lb pro x sac that has the quick disconnect fittings that plugs right into that line. When I dont want to run front weight I just roll up the sack, stuff it under the bow cupholder area and all is well, open bow, plenty of space. When its time to weight down, I plug the sack into the line filler up and get to "slumpin". I am also running anywhere from 150-300lbs of lead in the bow depending on where (and who) I am riding with. Yes, the bow does sit pretty low fully unloaded with just the bow weight, it definitely forces you to stay on your toes as a driver. I personally dont mind it, but it has become second nature to keep an eye on the bow due to a lot of heavily weighted driving.

Yea, i don't trailer my boat, so the sand bags would only be temp. And if it came down to it, i could always move the weight further back.

I was thinking trash bags(contractor), double bagged, so sand wouldn't go through, then some sort of canvas bag sewn up around that.

If you've got that many people - how many are going to be on the boat at once? You probably wont really need any additional ballast - even the sacks might be overkill... but then again maybe not depending on how you ride... but if they are mostly beginners, they won't need that much of a wake anyway...

However -- as far as bagging sand -- I've been thinking about the same thing... just to dial our surf wake in depending on how many people in the boat...

You have probably heard of "Pop Products" -they make durable bags of lead shot that you can place around your boat, they are not really cheap. They are compact and heavy.... but sand is pretty heavy too-- one of those little bags from Lowes is 50lbs. Was thinking could triple bag, duct tape the heck out of it, and drop it in a canvas bag from Harbor Freight.

Maybe something like this http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=32282

I would love to go the pop products route, however, he is in Cal, i am in Fl, Shipping would be a bear and wouldn't be worth it i imagine. I will just tell some people to get up front i guess.

Up here in snow country gas stations and grocery stores sell 40lb bags of sand (The kind people use in flood weather).

Once upon a time in our old MC 205 we used them.

They worked for our bow ballast. We would just take them out if we didn't need them.

We have a 21.5 LSV, and most of the seating is in the back. What do yall do if you have a ton of people in the back, and maybe 1 person up front. It would seem that the bow would rise pretty far up in the air, and that gets annoying when you are out on the lake all day. Its also annoying telling someone where they can and cant sit....thats what movable weight is for ya know.

I used a 4mil plastic bag over sand bags last year, but definitely like have the pro-x integrated bow sack much better. I also try to always get as much weight up front as possible and then just be carefull when idling around.

I used sand in our '95 sunsetter for a while before I got sacks. I use the 40lb lead pop bags in the nose of our VLX for more hidden weight. I don't like sacks on the seats. The pop bags are all tucked away in the front in various places and it really helps out with added weight in the back.

For sand, I went and bought sand bags for $1.25 or whatever they were at the time. I put a few strips of duct tape around them to hold the original bag together, then I put them into heavy trash bags. The really heavy duty ones, completely covered them with more duct tape and then another bag and more tape. Otherwise, if the bags get wet, they get really heavy and nasty. It worked alright and was pretty cheap. By the time i was done with it all though, I could have bought a small sack for the price of all the sand bags, duct tape and yard bags. It'll work though

I would love to go the pop products route, however, he is in Cal, i am in Fl, Shipping would be a bear and wouldn't be worth it i imagine. I will just tell some people to get up front i guess.

With 13 people your Bu will be sinking as it is. Just have some of them get up front.