Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What Malibu am I looking at?

IamN2Speed

Hello fellow Bu-aholics

I am looking at purchasing this 2000 LSV, but I'm not clear on what specific model it is. (or frankly, what the differences in models are)

The Dealer called it a LSV 23 originally, which left out the most telling part to me. Is it a Sunsetter LSV, a Wakesetter LSV, a Sunscape, or an Escape (as noted in NADA). And what is the difference in these hulls?

Being an Echelon owner, all I know is what I have. I'm looking for a Wakeboard boat, primarily because we have been doing more wakeboarding than anything else, and the added room of the V-Drive and size of the bigger boats is super appealing. I'm not a super advanced trick boarder, I'm quite novice actually. But I want the deep V hull for cruising around in choppy water, and want something I can enjoy with lots of friends. This one seems to be a good fit, just wondering (without any question) what it is.

It's been newly renovated, and has brand new gelcoat, and full new interior, and new motor. (Plus it matches my truck) Biggrin.gif

Thanks for the help,

Keith

Edited by IamN2Speed

Hey Keith-

Your confusion stems from the fact that prior to 2004, the Wakesetter 23 LSV and Sunscape 23 LSV didn't exist. The original LSV (the one that you're looking at) was only offered as the Escape model with one hull choice. Malibu's naming convention has made for a lot of confusion over the years, and has a tendency to drive people made.

While the Escape LSV isn't known as the best wakeboard boat (the hull is most similar to a current Diamond hull), it's still an adequate boat with some weight, and is reasonably affordable for the amount of boat you get.

You will need to step up to a 2004 23 LSV to get a better wakeboard boat in the 23 size, and that's going to cost quite a bit more.

Thank you both for the information. That sums it up pretty good. I guess now I should search for reviews on the "Diamond hull"?

Hey Keith-

Your confusion stems from the fact that prior to 2004, the Wakesetter 23 LSV and Sunscape 23 LSV didn't exist. The original LSV (the one that you're looking at) was only offered as the Escape model with one hull choice. Malibu's naming convention has made for a lot of confusion over the years, and has a tendency to drive people made.

While the Escape LSV isn't known as the best wakeboard boat (the hull is most similar to a current Diamond hull), it's still an adequate boat with some weight, and is reasonably affordable for the amount of boat you get.

You will need to step up to a 2004 23 LSV to get a better wakeboard boat in the 23 size, and that's going to cost quite a bit more.

I have a 2000 Escape LSV and it's not like the one pictured. Is it possible that they would make 2 different gelcoat patterns for the same boat in the same year. Also this one has the MLS system, was that available in a 2000 Escape?

skicrave, this was my 2001 Wakesetter LSV . This boat is on the Diamond Hull, but made a very respectable wake. Takes alot of upfront weight. we put 2/500# in front (ski locker/walkway) and another 500# in front of back seat. weight in lockers made the boat bog. I took my boat to the TN factory and had ballast installed.

post-161-1207621223_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malibuman
Thumbup.gif Nice boat seems to be a good deal.Why was everything replaced?

As I understand, the boat was docked on Tahoe, and during a storm, broke loose, and was beached. Not sure how long till it was discovered, but damage was done. No rock scrapes, but it washed up on the decomposed granite sand beach. Waves washed over the stern, and sand got EVERYWHERE... (Including in the motor) The only logical explanation I could come up with is the owner discovered it, and bailed the water out, and attempted to start the boat. Sand now 'inside' the motor. Took the boat to Z-Marine in Reno for repair. Owner decided he didn't want to keep it, and shop owner purchased it, and made it the shop's winter project. (again, I'm guessing insurance totalled it, and he saw an opportunity to get out of it free & clear) Since the interior was showing it's age, they basically went all out and replaced everthing. (I'm guessing because insurance covered it too). Motor was replaced with a full Monsoon 340hp long block, and is brand new. The shop had the illusion X tower in house, and decided to put it on. Since they needed to fill the holes from the previous tower, they decided to redo the whole top gelcoat.

All I need to do is figure out what decals I want to put on it, and how I want my new bimini to look. (I get to pick).

-Keith

I have a 2000 Escape LSV and it's not like the one pictured. Is it possible that they would make 2 different gelcoat patterns for the same boat in the same year. Also this one has the MLS system, was that available in a 2000 Escape?

Custom gelcoat. Probably didn't follow the standard pattern too perfectly. What is MLS?

That looks like a Sunscape 23 LSV with a diamond hull, you can tell for sure by the hull ID number, the letter before the 4 numbers in the middle tells whta model/hull the boat is. somebody sure spent a lot of time on that boat, the vinyl job is crazy..

good luck with the purchase

As I understand, the boat was docked on Tahoe, and during a storm, broke loose, and was beached. Not sure how long till it was discovered, but damage was done. No rock scrapes, but it washed up on the decomposed granite sand beach. Waves washed over the stern, and sand got EVERYWHERE... (Including in the motor) The only logical explanation I could come up with is the owner discovered it, and bailed the water out, and attempted to start the boat. Sand now 'inside' the motor. Took the boat to Z-Marine in Reno for repair. Owner decided he didn't want to keep it, and shop owner purchased it, and made it the shop's winter project. (again, I'm guessing insurance totalled it, and he saw an opportunity to get out of it free & clear) Since the interior was showing it's age, they basically went all out and replaced everthing. (I'm guessing because insurance covered it too). Motor was replaced with a full Monsoon 340hp long block, and is brand new. The shop had the illusion X tower in house, and decided to put it on. Since they needed to fill the holes from the previous tower, they decided to redo the whole top gelcoat.

All I need to do is figure out what decals I want to put on it, and how I want my new bimini to look. (I get to pick).

-Keith

No hull damage Clap.gif Very good looking boat.Good luck with choosing a graphic,Iam currently going back and forth on that myself.

Custom gelcoat. Probably didn't follow the standard pattern too perfectly. What is MLS?

The Gelcoat below the rubrail is what's different. Check it out....post-1857-1207627006_thumb.jpg

MLS is the Malibu Launch System built in ballast. Also where is the shop that put the tower on. I'm loving it!!! I asked my local dealer, Tilly's, but they said it couldn't be put on this boat and is only done at the factory.

.....Also where is the shop that put the tower on. I'm loving it!!! I asked my local dealer, Tilly's, but they said it couldn't be put on this boat and is only done at the factory.

Z-Marine in Reno, NV

Edited by IamN2Speed

-Keith

The boat looks great now, but I would still be worried about all the damage it sustained.

but I would still be worried about all the damage it sustained.

I'm sorry, maybe I missed all this hull damage??? :unsure:

I was trying to say there was 'no' hull damage. The white part at the very underside of the keel is the original gelcoat. (where the sand would have actually been in contact with the boat). I'll actually 'see' the boat Wednesday afternoon, so I'll hold final judgement till then, but I'm really struggling with finding an issue with this boat. It really looks great to me, and being towed behind my black GMC, I'm thinking it'll be a good match. Thumbup.gif

but I would still be worried about all the damage it sustained.

I'm sorry, maybe I missed all this hull damage??? :unsure:

I was trying to say there was 'no' hull damage. The white part at the very underside of the keel is the original gelcoat. (where the sand would have actually been in contact with the boat). I'll actually 'see' the boat Wednesday afternoon, so I'll hold final judgement till then, but I'm really struggling with finding an issue with this boat. It really looks great to me, and being towed behind my black GMC, I'm thinking it'll be a good match. Thumbup.gif

You didn't miss anything, I never said hull damage Tongue.gif

I was just referring to the water/sand damage.

You said it, not me. :)

Edited by jetskipro550
You didn't miss anything, I never said hull damage Tongue.gif

I was just referring to the water/sand damage.

Uhhh errr uhhh. Oh... Whistling.gif

you sure that engine is new? there are several rust spots in the photos (I know even from the factory engines come through with rust), but the thermostat housing is repainted.

i am not saying its a problem being a remanufactured engine, i just question the term "new"...

I noticed a couple of labels missing on the dash switches. I have this same problem, where can we get new ones made? I would like to change what mine say.

Mike

A longblock is not the solution for a motor that was submerged.

Ensure all electrical in the boat was replaced, otherwise stuff will work now and fail later.

-Chris

My 2 cents, sand in the motor means motor submerged, sand / silt entered the motor through the exhaust, means majority of the boat submerged. I agree with 99 response, potential for major electrical issues. If the majority of the boat was submerged (not that they'd tell you that), did they go to the effort of re-doing the tranny & v-drive? Draining & fully cleaning the fuel tank & lines, replacing all the filters? Would the steering cable take a hit if part of it were under water for a period of time? Looks to be fixed very nicely from a cosmetic & structural perspective, I'd just worry about the stuff you can't see, and can't confirm whether they did or did not fix. Again, just my 2 cents and if I'm off base regarding this thing being under water, I stand corrected.

My 2 cents, sand in the motor means motor submerged, sand / silt entered the motor through the exhaust, means majority of the boat submerged. I agree with 99 response, potential for major electrical issues. If the majority of the boat was submerged (not that they'd tell you that), did they go to the effort of re-doing the tranny & v-drive? Draining & fully cleaning the fuel tank & lines, replacing all the filters? Would the steering cable take a hit if part of it were under water for a period of time? Looks to be fixed very nicely from a cosmetic & structural perspective, I'd just worry about the stuff you can't see, and can't confirm whether they did or did not fix. Again, just my 2 cents and if I'm off base regarding this thing being under water, I stand corrected.

I'm guessing you're probably not too far off base. Thanks for this insight, I'll really look hard at this stuff. Also, since the owner of the boat personally owns the shop, I'm thinking a warrantee on the work/boat isn't an unrealistic request. After my discussions with him, I have the 'feeling' the boat was stripped do the shell, and built back up. But the tanks/lines & V-Drive questions are great. I'll deffinately probe there.