Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V-drive Sunpad options

UWSkier

Sunpad poll  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Given the choice between the 2 piece and 3 piece sunpad, what would you choose, and do people use your sunpad for actually laying on?

• 2 piece
    • 3 piece
    • Yes, the girls love to lay on it
    • No, we're never stopped long enough to lay out
  2. 2. Given the choice between a 3 piece and a 2 piece with the integrated stepover, which would you choose?

• 3 piece
    • 2 piece with stepover
  3. 3. What do you think is most convenient?

• 2 piece
    • 2 piece with stepover
    • 3 piece

Just wondering what the V drive owners think of the current sunpad offerings from Malibu. Personally, I'd love to see them go back to a 3 piece. We park our boat a lot to party so we have people sitting and laying on the pad a lot, so the stepover wouldn't be something we'd be into. We also leave our boom clamp on our pylon full time unless we're working on the engine (pretty much never) meaning the 2 piece hatch becomes completely useless.

I think if they'd go back to a 3 piece, they could, especially on the VTX, go with a slightly lower freeboard and less glass above the rubrail, lowering weight and improving the lines of the boat dramatically. They waste a lot of space back there with that tray above the engine. JMO

I wouldn't buy a new boat unless they would make me a 3 piece sunpad. I think the 1 piece or 2 piece are ridiculously useless.

I wouldn't buy a new boat unless they would make me a 3 piece sunpad. I think the 1 piece or 2 piece are ridiculously useless.

That's why I posted this poll. I know Malibu watches this site closely and we've gotten some of our requests before. I think if we were to order a new boat, we'd either request a custom made sunpad or have Malibu ship the boat without a pad and with enough vinyl to make our own. The current options are less than optimal IMO. How much per boat do you think they save on a 2 piece vs a 3 piece sunpad? $50? $100? And their margins continue to go up year after year.

No doubt......3 piece pad. I ordered the step over on my 2008 LSV just to keep the size of the 2 piece pad manageable. I don't know one person who likes the 2 piece.

I like the 2 peice because we use the tray over the engine so much and so often from the swim step.

The results are interesting, I didn't so many poeple missed the 3 piece so much.

After being on Brad 's 07 23 LSV this past weekend I have to agree going back with the 3 piece. The two piece was really heavy and when both are up you swear they're as tall as the tower.

Back with the 3 piece...

I like the 2 peice because we use the tray over the engine so much and so often from the swim step.

The results are interesting, I didn't so many poeple missed the 3 piece so much.

good point on the engine tray....my new Malibu hasn't arrived yet, but I'll bet the two piece is something I'll appreciate for this reason alone.......especially because we ride a LOT in the winter.

otherwise...3 piece rocks!

I've been thinking about the tray. While you can't get the same amount of storage, the netted pockets on the side hatches of the 3 piece decks will get you some warming effect also, especially if you flare out the engine walls so the heat can get up to those nets.

How about a 3 piece hatch where the center can open in either direction like a tip up snowmobile trailer lid that opens both ways? That way you could still access it from the back to get stuff out of a tray... hmm... :)

why cant we have the best of all worlds? A three piece cover where the center section can be flipped over and have a walk over type material. and while there at it do the same with the center seat section on the back bench. One of the only things the bug me is the fact that you cant get in or out with out stepping on a seat. (hear that malibu the best of all worlds. you can send my check as soon as you hit production. or a new boat and we can call it even.) Whistling.gif

Edited by liljohn

I had an 05 with the three pads and now have an 07 with the two. I hate the two because if you want to get something out of the back and some one is laying out they have to completely move to get it up. they need to go back to the three piece and just have the middle section open from the rear. When do you get something in or out of the tray??? When you are standing on the swim platform getting ready to ride or just finishing.....

why cant we have the best of all worlds? A three piece cover where the center section can be flipped over and have a walk over type material. and while there at it do the same with the center seat section on the back bench. One of the only things the bug me is the fact that you cant get in or out with out stepping on a seat. (hear that malibu the best of all worlds. you can send my check as soon as you hit production. or a new boat and we can call it even.) Whistling.gif

I'm pretty sure that the engine being there would prevent you from being able to flip over that center cushion.... a heat issue? I don't mind having to go in or out over a seat - we're on the water, no one has shoes on, when we're houseboating we put a towel across the center section & tuck it in the sides - it's not an issue for us at all. What is an issue is how quickly and badly those walkthrough's get thrashed. I've seen them get really nasty really fast with curling up non skid stuff, mildew, whatever. Yuck. I'd rather have the 3 piece pad and no walkthrough anyday, for esthetics as well as for storage.

Stew, the only reason you have no issue with the 2 piece sun pad is because you can lift it without a problem...LOL! Us weaklings have to muster up all our strength to do it. I get in & out of mine all teh time, so it's really handy to have the smaller hatches.

I had an 05 with the three pads and now have an 07 with the two. I hate the two because if you want to get something out of the back and some one is laying out they have to completely move to get it up. they need to go back to the three piece and just have the middle section open from the rear. When do you get something in or out of the tray??? When you are standing on the swim platform getting ready to ride or just finishing.....

Agree Agree Agree

With the 3 piece, someone can be on the center section and get into either/both side storage areas.

I wouldn't purchase a boat with 2 piece.

(I had a MC 225 that had a ONE piece, motor operated sunpad. now THAT was always in the way.

It's all about easy access to storage when people are everywhere.

Even more ridiculous, at the boat show one mfgr had 3 piece, but the side sections opened hinged toward the center, so you'd have to be standing outside the boat to gain best access. Really dumb.

Just thought of another knock I have personally against the 2 piece. I have a 600 lb sack I put in the back locker for surfing. It's nice to be able to sit or lay on the sunpad with one bay open to burp air, connect hoses, etc. Yeah, we still do it the old-fashioned way, but it's nice to have a padded surface to sit on. I'd be sitting in the tray if I tried that with the 2 piece.

I have a 2007 V Ride- Where can I purchase these sun pads

Sunpad=sundeck=the padded covers to the engine and rear storage on V drives. You have a V-ride. You already have the 3 piece pad/deck. However, if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, PM me. :)

Bunch of wankers...lol

I prefer the look of the 2 piece clean and simple lines, easier access to the warming tray and engine access. I say who likes the new dash….not for me.

Plus1.gif on the sunpad. IMHO I dont like the new dash either No.gif

• 9 months later...

Can't you put a warming tray in the engine compartment on a 3 piece? Heaven forbid you might have to ask someone in the boat to get you your warm towel when standing on the swim platform. We think it's rude to ask people to do nice things for us when out on the water Whistling.gif