Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Factory Ballast Pumps

What size are the factory ballast pumps? When replacing them, what is the largest I can go with and keep the factory hoses? I have a couple that are a bit slow and may be near the end.

I searched for the size but could not find anything. Piranha is the brand correct?

Edited by txwakejunkie

These should work:

Rule 1100 gph

They're the ones I used when I installed my ballast, and I think they work great. They have a 3/4" inlet, and the output is a 1" barbed fitting. I think the factory is probably 750 gph or so.

Your factory pumps are probably close to Rule 750's. Just check on your new pumps for the in & out sizes. You need 3/4" out to use the stock hoses. The 1100 referenced up a post has a 1" out and you will have to adapt to your hose or thru hull. We did an extensive test here a few weeks ago to check the difference between pumps and fill times on a stock fill & dump port. There is less improvement as you go bigger in pumps because of the 3/4" inlet in the hull and the 3/4" thru hull dump reducing the flow.

Ronnie's dead on. The Tsunami 800 is a direct plug & play pump. Our stock pumps are Piranha 800s, but they're a bit limp in comparison with the Tsunami 800. I use the Tsunami on one of our bags & even though rated the same, I think that the Tsunami is faster than the stock pumps. Another one that is a direct plug & play is a Mayfair 1100, but they're harder to come by & IMO/E not that much faster (if at all) than the Tsunami 800.

One more thing. If you Google Tsunami pumps you'll find them much cheaper than some of the Ballast companies are selling them for. These types of pumps are used across the boating world, not just to fill your ballast.

Our tests showed they actually flow about 1/3 of what they are rated and different pumps of the same brand/rating flow vastly different.

We tested several pumps:

Rule 750

Mayfair 1000

Rule 1100

Tsunami 1200

As I was strolling through the boating section of Walmart the other day, I noticed that they're selling the Tsunami's now. I think the biggest they sell is the 800, but I can't really remember. $35 or so.

I know that Academy sports here in Dallas sells them too, about the same price, maybe a little cheaper.

Our tests showed they actually flow about 1/3 of what they are rated and different pumps of the same brand/rating flow vastly different.

We tested several pumps:

Rule 750

Mayfair 1000

Rule 1100

Tsunami 1200

So how did they all rate? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

As I was strolling through the boating section of Walmart the other day, I noticed that they're selling the Tsunami's now. I think the biggest they sell is the 800, but I can't really remember. $35 or so.

I know that Academy sports here in Dallas sells them too, about the same price, maybe a little cheaper.

The wal-mart in hillsboro has the Tsunami 800 for 29.99. That seems like the way to go.

Thanks for all the info.

We tested several pumps:

Rule 750

Mayfair 1000

Rule 1100

Tsunami 1200

So how did they all rate? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Not that different. I am not at home until tonight so I don't have the info in with me. I'll get it tonight.

The wal-mart in hillsboro has the Tsunami 800 for 29.99. That seems like the way to go.

Thanks for all the info.

The only thing to remember with that one is that on the output side you'll need a fitting since it's got threads instead of barbs. But you should be able to pick something up either in the gardening section or the plumbing section of Home Depot or Lowe's.

Thanks for all the info.

The only thing to remember with that one is that on the output side you'll need a fitting since it's got threads instead of barbs. But you should be able to pick something up either in the gardening section or the plumbing section of Home Depot or Lowe's.

Good to know, thanks again.

• 2 months later...
And the 800 is usually considerably cheaper than the 1200 (you wouldn't be able to use the 1200 easily though since it's got a really oddball size on both the intake & output).

Tracy, have you tried this pump in your boat. I would love to put this pump at mid ship since I need to replace mine. I also need to replace my rear drain pump... any tips on getting back there?

Edited by Romi
And the 800 is usually considerably cheaper than the 1200 (you wouldn't be able to use the 1200 easily though since it's got a really oddball size on both the intake & output).

Lisa, have you tried this pump in your boat. I would love to put this pump at mid ship since I need to replace mine. I also need to replace my rear drain pump... any tips on getting back there?

Uh, if you're talking to me....no I haven't tried the 1200 mainly because of that weird size (I think that it's 1 1/8"). The 800 is pretty fast in addition to being plug n play & I was able to find one locally for around $20, so that was easier to set up.

I changed out my Rule 750's for Rule 1100's.

Also changed the hoses from 3/4 to 1".

The 1100's are the same size as the 750's - the housing is the same except for the 1" output.

They cost me $25 each I think from ebay.

Much faster fill times and I'm filling 750 lb Fly Highs instead of 250 lb tanks.

I left the 750's on the drains till they go out - not that much of a hurry to drain

Uh, if you're talking to me....no I haven't tried the 1200 mainly because of that weird size (I think that it's 1 1/8"). The 800 is pretty fast in addition to being plug n play & I was able to find one locally for around $20, so that was easier to set up.

Opps... but yes and thank you Tracy