Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel pump question...

Hello everyone, I finally had a free weekend to get the boat out and check everything. It looks like I need a new fuel pump. I have two questions. I believe this is the correct pump. Can someone verify this? My boat is a '02 Sportster with the carb Indmar 310hp motor. Click here for the link: Fuel Pump. Also, does anyone know a place with a better price? I really don't want to spend this much. Thanks in advance. :)

Are you sure its the fuel pump?

Did you change the filters? Some Bu's have up to 3.

Not sure if you boat has it but some have an anti siphion check ball that can plug up.

Perhaps you have gone all over this but we forum guys just hate to simply answer a question. :)

Did you check the oil pressure swich, otherwise known as the fuel cutoff switch? On a Sporty with an Indmar Vortec 310 this controls power to the fuel pump. The old style has 3 spade connectors and the new style has 2 spade connectors, and it's located right next to the distributor, coming vertically off the block. With the key on if you jump the connectors the pump should come alive....

To answer your question the carter pump looks correct, but I can't verify without having it or matching Malibu part numbers...

Peter

If you buy with SkiDIM tell them your engine model and year. They will make sure the parts are correct.

Haven't seen too many of those low pressure fuel pumps go bad though...

-Chris

Perhaps you have gone all over this but we forum guys just hate to simply answer a question. :)

Did you check the oil pressure swich, otherwise known as the fuel cutoff switch? On a Sporty with an Indmar Vortec 310 this controls power to the fuel pump. The old style has 3 spade connectors and the new style has 2 spade connectors, and it's located right next to the distributor, coming vertically off the block. With the key on if you jump the connectors the pump should come alive....

To answer your question the carter pump looks correct, but I can't verify without having it or matching Malibu part numbers...

Peter

Plus1.gif The pressure switch will gum up and shut your fuel pump off. Many times it will be intermittent. I pulled my hair out trying to find the problem on a 99 sslxi and I don't have much hair to pull out. Pull the pressure switch and flush it good. It likely does not need to be replaced. On the 99 sslxi the switch was on the lower left side of the block moor to the rear.