Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding a Wedge

kknudsen12

Is it possible to add a wedge to a Malibu that doesn't have it? Obviously, I know you can add one if the boat already has the wedge plate. However, can you do it if it doesn't have that? Also, what would be the approximate cost (cost of the wedge, and cost to install it)?

it can be added after the fact , but what model are you referring to? a Direct Drive or a V- Drive?

I would expect around 1,200 installed...

it can be added after the fact , but what model are you referring to? a Direct Drive or a V- Drive?

I would expect around 1,200 installed...

We're looking at a couple direct-drive models. 1998 Response LX and 1998 Sportster LX.

How about a 99 Sunsetter LXi that already has a wedge? Click on the link below :)

Sorry, we've considered another SLXi, but we're really trying to get something a little smaller.

I spoke with a dealer and it seems it would be around $500 to add the wedge if the boat already has the wedge plate, or $1200-1400 if it doesn't have the plate.

Is this expense worth it? Would it be better to just get some fat sacs and use those? Any comments comparing the wakes and performance of boats using the wedge vs. sacs would be appreciated. The simplicity of the wedge sounds great, but maybe it's not that big of a deal if fat sacs will do the same (or better) thing for less money.

How about a 99 Sunsetter LXi that already has a wedge? Click on the link below :)

What a shameless plug.... Whistling.gif

G!!! is correct about the cost. Keep in mind the diamond hulls use the flat wedge and the non-diamond hulls use the angled "V" wedge.

In addition to sacs vs. the wedge, how would an RLX without wedge or any weight compare to a similarly-sized sterndrive at wakeboarding speeds? We're going to be moving from an I/O to the direct-drive, so it would be nice to know how the two will compare for wakeboarding. Of course, it would be nice just to go drive them and see, but we still have ice on our lakes up here!

I'm not too crazy about weighting a Response because of how low a freeboard they already have. I know people do & will say they get a pretty descent wake from it. But I also know 2 guys who have sank their Response with just a little ballast in the boat & a rogue wave catching them off guard.

The Wedge might be better from that standpoint since the boat would not sit so low when your just floating. Or a boat with a bit higher freeboard would be more up my alley.

If your on a private lake, more power to ya. A weighted Response would be perfect.

I'm not too crazy about weighting a Response because of how low a freeboard they already have. I know people do & will say they get a pretty descent wake from it. But I also know 2 guys who have sank their Response with just a little ballast in the boat & a rogue wave catching them off guard.

The Wedge might be better from that standpoint since the boat would not sit so low when your just floating. Or a boat with a bit higher freeboard would be more up my alley.

If your on a private lake, more power to ya. A weighted Response would be perfect.

We're on a really small public lake (~250 acres). The only waves out there would be from a few other boats... think that would be a problem?

Edited by kknudsen12

We're on a really small public lake (~250 acres). The only waves out there would be from a few other boats... think that would be a problem?

I know of a Response sized walkthrough open bow 1993 Echelon that is for sale with the wedge already installed Whistling.gif

Yea, thats a small lake, borders on private. Assuming you don't use the boat elsewhere, weighted, then it would probably be fine. If you get some neighbors with a wake boat, especially if they decide to check out surfing, then it might start to be an issue.

My own Prostar 205 was a bit of an issue for this same reason, and they are higher than the Response. Really kept me on guard watching for anything that might be a problem, ie; approaching waves or slow boats that might send one my way. Since I upgraded to the Vride, I'm so much easier going about that stuff. Make a lot more pleasant trip for me & ultimately anyone around me.

I know of a Response sized walkthrough open bow 1993 Echelon that is for sale with the wedge already installed Whistling.gif

oops here it is93 Echelon LX

• 11 years later...

It's certainly possible, and been done many times. There was even a tutorial with pics on the forum at one point. The hardest part will be finding the parts. If you have any mechanical ability, you can do it yourself in about an hour.