Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06 RLXi Heater install pix...

martho

I am going to install the 3 outlet heater in the RLXi. Would the 06 RLXi owners please post pix of your heater installs so I can get an idea where to put this thing?

I did some searching, however I only found 5 pix in the gallery with "heater"

Thanks

Hey Martho,

I've got a couple pics, but it's difficult to get much perspective in the shots because it is so tight under there. In a nutshell, the unit is going to mount from the underside of the dash panel where all the other modules are mounted. Blower unit is toward the bow, vents toward the stern. Pics are of the two brackets from directly underneath looking up at the dash. Hopefully you can figure the orientation based on the other things in the vicinity (such as the cutout for the dash speaker).

post-60-1207317153_thumb.jpg

post-60-1207317165_thumb.jpg

Should have added that this mine is a 3-outlet unit, not sure what you decided to go with.

Edwin's pic also reminds me - the Hot Tube in mine was originally mounted in the walkthough, down near the floor. I found it to be rather poor location for the passengers - if it was cool enough to need the heat, people weren't in the bow. So having it there was just a long reach people in the observer seat. Edwin posted that same shot some time ago, and it made total sense to me. So I moved mine there too (covered the 4" hole in the walkthrough with a louvered vent).

My only concern was whether I would be hitting it with my knees all the time - has proved to be a complete non-issue. I am completely satisfied with it located there, and would highly recommend it to anyone. Much more accessible than before, and if there aren't any passengers using it, all the more heat for the driver!

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier

Can't find any pics but my old one was mounted like Edwin's and worked find for 13 years. My new one has about a 20' flex hose that goes around the bow with the Hot Tube outlet mounted under the passenger's seat, at the passenger's feet.

/Steve

Edited: Found them.

post-256-1207323499_thumb.jpg

post-256-1207323527_thumb.jpg

Edited by ibelieve
I am going to install the 3 outlet heater in the RLXi.
Should have added that this mine is a 3-outlet unit, not sure what you decided to go with.

:Doh: Try to keep up, Jerry. Especially when you're offering your advice. . .

Just out of curiosity is there any reason you guys are installing them under the driver's dash? Granted I don't have an RLXI (v-drive...gasp), but I put mine on the observer side under the seat. I have a hot tube pointed rearward similar to ibelieve, another hot tube mounted just like that only pointed in the driver's direction, and I used outlet #3 as a defroster up on the observer side of the dash. Not sure what your dash looks like, but a Eurovent will fit the same sized hole as a cup holder, so now I have one less cup holder. I have really never used this as a "defroster", but it does do an ok job of blasting heat up higher on the observer's side.

I just got off the phone with Heatercraft. If anyone is considering buying a heater, call Steve and get it done. Great pricing and a super guy to speak with on the phone. This is my second purchase from Heatercraft in the last 4 years.

Great place to do business

What is the point of defrosting the observer side of the windshield?

I assume this is aimed at me.

Isn't that the observer's job....tell the driver where to go while the driver keeps an eye on the skier? Dontknow.gif

Actually, I've never encountered frost in the boat, nor will I ever. I just needed a find a place for a 3rd outlet and it was convenient not having to drill another hole in the boat. One of the items on my list is to find a spot for a 3rd hot tube that doesn't eat up storage space. I'll look into that when I get my boat back. But the eurovent in the cup holder does work decent if you aim it at the observers head.

I don't usually worry about defogging the observer window. Only time a fogged W/S is a problem is on those cool/damp early mornings when we are running the course. Only the driver needs to see - nobody else out there. Yahoo.gif Observer's job (if we have one ;) ) is to watch the skier - hopefully they are not in front of the boat!

Anyway, I do have a second 2 outlet heater to install, and it will go in the observer storage area.

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier
Isn't that the observer's job....tell the driver where to go while the driver keeps an eye on the skier? Dontknow.gif

A driver drives and the observer observes. The driver has no business watching the skier. This is exactly why people get whipped into docks and other boats on the water.

Total sarcasm folks. Apparently it wasn't that obvious.

Yeah, it was.

I like to keep the entire windshield clear, just in case one of those pesky lake-gnats shoots across the course. Guns.gif