Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel stabilizer

I have my boat in a boat house on the lake 80 miles form where I live. I only get to use the boat every 30 to 45 days and never burn all the gas that is in the tank. My quesiton is, do you think I need to put fuel stabilizer in the tank if it is going to sit that long? And should I put it in every time I fill up the boat?

I agree it is cheap insurance, howver, I don't put it in when I fill up, but when I am almost finished for the day. That way I am treating less fuel each time and use less stabilizer. If I forget to put it in at the lake before leaving, I put it in at the house when I am cleaning up and let the engine run on a fake a lake for about 10 minutes while it flushes everything out. This allows it to mix well in the gas tank as well as in the fuel lines. :)

I agree it is cheap insurance, howver, I don't put it in when I fill up, but when I am almost finished for the day.

I learned the hard way a few years ago. It seemed logical Dontknow.gif to treat the gas before filling up at the gas station (get it mixed in there good while adding new gas). Wrong... :Doh: I had foaming gas and stabilizer spewing all over me. It happened instantly with less than a gallon pumped into the tank.

Moral of the story. Treat it at the end of the day or after filling up.

Never used the stuff, but then I never pump gas at 7/11 or places like that. I also don't let the motor sit for more than 3 weeks before starting so maybe if it was to sit more than a month or so I would probably agree on using it.

So, trying to understand the way you do it... Dontknow.gif you just guess how much stabilizer to put in at the end of the day not knowing how many gallons are in the tank? Then next time you guess again how much to put in it? Or do you just put in the amount to treat the fuel you think you used for the day since you treated it last time you were out? Wonder how much extra or too little you are actually using over the season? How does running it on a fake a lake mix it in the tank? Everything I put it in goes into a gas can first then the tank.

Either way, at least we are protected... Thumbup.gif

So, trying to understand the way you do it... Dontknow.gif you just guess how much stabilizer to put in at the end of the day not knowing how many gallons are in the tank? Then next time you guess again how much to put in it? Or do you just put in the amount to treat the fuel you think you used for the day since you treated it last time you were out? Wonder how much extra or too little you are actually using over the season? How does running it on a fake a lake mix it in the tank? Everything I put it in goes into a gas can first then the tank.

What, you don't trust your fuel guage? :lol:

Edited by vette-ski

Drop a can of "seafoam" in there. It'll be fine. I put it in my tahoe about every 5000 miles, and in my boat every once in a while too.

Thanks for the replies. Its helpful and I will be sure to put some in next time I am up there. Can you use too much??

Also, what is "seafoam"?

My dealer (granted, CC dealer, but they are very good) says that the biggest enemy of gas these days is the alcohol in it. It bonds with water and causes all kinds of problems. They advise using stabil if the boat sits for more than a week or two, but, more importantly, they advise keeping the tank full when stored, to keep the condensation out, and also to avoid a host of other problems. My Dad, who is ex coast guard and who has been in the boat business for over 40 years, says the same thing. An empty tank is just plain bad for your boat. I use the recommended amount of stabil every time I refuel and refill my tank after every outing.

I only use it for winter lay up putting it in 10 minutes before I pull the boat out of the water for the last time. I do not top the tank off either, being told plastic gas tanks do not get condensation in them. This way I start off the next season with fresh gas after filling up.

I only use it for winter lay up putting it in 10 minutes before I pull the boat out of the water for the last time. I do not top the tank off either, being told plastic gas tanks do not get condensation in them. This way I start off the next season with fresh gas after filling up.

Plus1.gif

My opinion on stabilizer.....it's purpose is to maintain fuel properties (octane) when stored for extended periods. I don't know the time curve off-hand, but obviously the longer it sits, the more it drops. If you let it sit a month or two it might drop a point or so. Most modern ECM's will detect knock if the fuel degrades too much and make timing adjustments so engine damage won't occur. I don't think I'd personally be worried if it sits for a month. Much longer than that you can just put mid-grade or premium in if you wish. If it degrades much it should still be better than 87 octane, which is what I run in mine w/o problem. Although that may cost more than stabil but then you don't have to worry about how much and when, etc. If you are already running 89 fuel, I don't think I'd do anything. But that's just me and what I'd do for the boat. For my high performance engines tuned to run on 93 fuel, loss of octane isn't allowed so I do use stabil in those cases.

Edited by vette-ski
Thanks for the replies. Its helpful and I will be sure to put some in next time I am up there. Can you use too much??

Also, what is "seafoam"?

Seafoam is used to stabilize fuel, as well as clean. In your case if its sitting up for a while or dewinterizing, its good to use to clean. You put a bottle of it your gas tank and it basically goes through your system with your gas and cleans out carbon deposits and all that crap that can build up over time in an engine. You also use it for a "top end" clean where you can either pour it into your oil, or straight into the block. on my tahoe, i pour it into my oil, or into the pcv valve on the block, let it sit for about 5-10 mins then go drive around. If you do the top end clean with it, you normally want to put it in like 5 hours (in a boat) or the last 1000 hours (in your vehicle) just before you change your oil. it'll also put out a grey smoke out of your exhaust for about 3 mins after you do it, which is pretty funny considering you know nothing wrong, its just getting rid of all the crap, and you can drive around and act like you have a blown engine haha. You can get seafoam in any autoparts store ...advanced auto, autozone, etc.

Check out this website for more info on it. Its really helpful and should be used. There isn't many other ways to clean like this stuff does.

SEAFOAM

I'm all about the fuel stabalizer.. but that SeaFoam stuff sure sounds a like like

snakeoilman2L.jpg

If you rub it on your body, does it help to remove the toxins? :unsure:

Ever put food coloring water? Biggrin.gif Sort of the same principal, it will dilute into the gas. As far as putting to much, if you read on the bottle of stabilizer it states that you can actually put double the amount for long term storage...so it isnt' going to hurt if you have a little more than you need. But as you stated....either way you are protected. Clap.gif