Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cover and skirt?

VLXRonnie

I was on the MBO site and found this Bu with what appears to be a sweet cover. Does anyone know what type of cover this is Dontknow.gif ? I know that Rankin posted a topic about sun skirt that attached to their cover with a zipper awhile back http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....mp;#entry165380 but this other cover looks like it attaches to the trailer to and appears you could possibly tow with the skirts in place Yahoo.gif .

Boatcover.jpg

It's an New Zealand & Australian style cover. They are great and offer fantastic protection. Far better protection than the partial covers I've seen on some used boats imported from US. We have one for our RLX.

Here's a link to the manufacturer. I'm sure they could ship one to you.

http://www.agnewbros.co.nz/Marine.htm

Here's my cover

DSC01562.jpg

Edited by uk_exile
It's an New Zealand & Australian style cover. They are great and offer fantastic protection. Far better protection than the partial covers I've seen on some used boats imported from US. We have one for our RLX.

Here's a link to the manufacturer. I'm sure they could ship one to you.

<a href="http://www.agnewbros.co.nz/Marine.htm" target="_blank">http://www.agnewbros.co.nz/Marine.htm</a>

Here's my cover

DSC01562.jpg

Thanks UK... I will try and contact them and see what the shipping would be. I thinking that the cover may be similar in price "apples for apples" but the overseas shipping may be the issue. How do you like your cover? Does it trailer well and not rub on the gel coat? How does it seal around the tower?Sorry for the multiple questions but I am looking to purchase a trailering cover. Yours looks like it would protect your Bu better from sun damage sitting outside.

Ronnie,

I want one of these covers for my BU too. I sent them an email already, but we should see if they can/will do a group buy. Or atleast send the covers together to save on shipping. Let me know if you would be interested.

Thanks!

Ronnie,

I want one of these covers for my BU too. I sent them an email already, but we should see if they can/will do a group buy. Or atleast send the covers together to save on shipping. Let me know if you would be interested.

Thanks!

I am interested, just would like a little more information. Biggrin.gif

We're working with Cory at Evolution Cover to see if we can come up with something like this. The problem with all of these shown is that you'd never be able to use it as a mooring cover, but Cory's got an idea that may work as an optional add-on. Stay tuned. Biggrin.gif

I had a cover made about two months ago that has the side skirts and covers the swim platform, my boat sits on a hydro hoist. I do not have any pics but can post some in a week when I am back at the the house. I know that the guy that made mine would make more if people ordered. The cover was pricey but does work well and made with Sunbrella material.

We're working with Cory at Evolution Cover to see if we can come up with something like this. The problem with all of these shown is that you'd never be able to use it as a mooring cover, but Cory's got an idea that may work as an optional add-on. Stay tuned. Biggrin.gif

I could understand the mooring aspect. It seems to me that if it was an add on like you suggested, similar to Rankin side skirt, you would just need to add eye holes on the bottom to attach it to the trailer. Then Zip it on and attach it to the trailer for towing or unzip and use it as the original tow/ mooring cover.

If you are working with Cory may I make a suggestion or request? I would like something that would cover the transom and step too. It seem that all the covers that are trailer-able don't cover the transom or swim step. I don't know if it is possible but it would be nice.

in the meantime I just had my factory cover modified to seal better around the tower...

What do you think...Simple but effective.

DSC00886.jpg

that cover would be such a pain to take on and off... nice maybe if you want to protect against UV if you have to store your boat outside? I wouldn't want to tow with that, the wind abrasion on the boat and trailer would be narly..

I will talk with Cory about it, but I will tell you that this issue has come up in the past. The problem with a cover that comes down to cover the swim platform (like the stock covers) is that it creates a point at which air can get under the cover & make it billow. Movement, any movement, in a cover while trailering is what causes rub marks in the gel. A true towing cover is tight, so tight initially that you would think that it's too small. The other thing is that you won't see a true towing cover come down past the rub rail, because there's no good point on the boat itself beyond that to keep it secure. But I'll bring it up with him & maybe we'll come up with a solution.

Ronnie, what exactly is it that you had done there? Did you have the tower boots tightened up?

I will talk with Cory about it, but I will tell you that this issue has come up in the past. The problem with a cover that comes down to cover the swim platform (like the stock covers) is that it creates a point at which air can get under the cover & make it billow. Movement, any movement, in a cover while trailering is what causes rub marks in the gel. A true towing cover is tight, so tight initially that you would think that it's too small. The other thing is that you won't see a true towing cover come down past the rub rail, because there's no good point on the boat itself beyond that to keep it secure. But I'll bring it up with him & maybe we'll come up with a solution.

Ronnie, what exactly is it that you had done there? Did you have the tower boots tightened up?

I had the factory cover modified. It had the huge cutout holes for the tower that seamed to work as a drain for the cover. No matter what I did the water would just drain into the boat from the holes. I definitely would not trailer with the cover though (not tight enough) but it works well to keep the dirt and water from channeling into the boat.

As for the Uk cover, I know it would be a pain to put on and off, but since the move our garage is not large enough to fit my Bu. Now stuck outside, my Bu needs all the protection she can get. UV rays are brutal no matter how much wax you use.

Like Tracie said, we are working with Cory to come up with a skirt solution for our cover. For us long distance towing is the issue, not UV. We are trying to come up with a skirt that covers from bow to quarter window and then down to the point where the trailer frame angles towards the tongue. This would keep grit and gravel from sand blasting the front of the boat but would not actually come in contact with the gel coat. I would attach it with a zipper above the rubrail so that it would be removable so that I can still us our cover for mooring on those long weekend camping trips where I am too lazy to pull the boat out every night.

As for UV, I will see about mocking up side and rear panels that could be added for storage.

Joe

The covers do not rub at all. My bu has zero cover rub marks. They have a fleecy type fabric inside at all points that contact the hull. Also they are stretched tight so they don't flap around or move at all. They provide very good towing protection for the hull. There is a rubbing on the trailer as they don't have the fleece at those points but hey, it's a just trailer that can easily be repainted ! (trailer is paint over galv)

However they are fairly heavy to put on and off. It's really a two person job wityh aperson on each side rolling or unrolling it. Takes about 3-5 mins to complete, inlcuding strechiung down the bungy cords to the trailer chassis.

There are zips where the tower legs are. They have inner flaps (like wetsuits zips) to prevent any hard zip parts on cover inside and they have velcro flpas over than takes the strain off the zips & prevents towing vehicle fumes entering (particularly diesel with tends to leave black marks).

Also they are not cheap. About NZ$1500-2000, that's US$1200-1600

Our boat lives in a garage so we don't have the cover outside for long periods.

However we do use it when camping, often for a week or two and it seems to keep out the rain well.

UV should be ok ?

Wow $1600 ouch Shocking.gif ...The Rankin cover with the sun skirts weigh in at about $1000. But you cant trailer with the skirts on. I hope Cory is close to rendering something soon. I surmise that it may not be until next winter though. With that being said, $1600 would be a small price to pay for the amount of money we spend for and on our boats. I would love to get storage for my Bu but that would end up being $2400 a year. I fear that a lot of soul searching is in order. I could however use the UK cover for storage and trailering and use the stock cover for mooring. I think I may have talked myself into it while typing this post. Dontknow.gif

:thankyou: UK for the info...

Side not it is interesting to see that the dollar is strong somewhere. Whistling.gif

Edited by VLXRonnie
There are other ways to protect the boat from getting sand blasted for a heck of a lot cheaper.

Ohh Dontknow.gif

Like a towing protector that goes behind your vehicle. The one I use is called a TowTector and cost under $200. It doesn't even mar the gelcoat can you believe it. Shocking.gif