Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

on-water wetslip storage - boat blisters - concerns

snowrider

I was just confirmed for a wetslip storage at our local marina/state-park. The convenience of access and not having to trailering/launching the boat is awesome. The cost is also very reasonable and comparable to off-site covered storage.

However, I have read the posts about keeping a boat on the water for too long of a period and am curious how many people have their boat in a wetslip during the summer and what maintenance they do.

Also, as we are fairly inexperienced boaters what process is best to secure the boat in the slip. I don't believe the state-park will allow the use of the mooring whip style setups, which look pretty effective.

We keep out boat in the water for a about 2 weeks at a time during the summer. So far with the Malibu and previous Mastercraft I haven't had any problems. (We might be lucky).

Before I launch it for the first time it gets a good coat of wax. Then every two weeks we pull it out for a wash to get the junk off the bottom. It gets another coat of wax (below the waterline) every other wash or about once a month. By no means is this the correct way but we haven't had any problems and this is what I've done.

I was just confirmed for a wetslip storage at our local marina/state-park. The convenience of access and not having to trailering/launching the boat is awesome. The cost is also very reasonable and comparable to off-site covered storage.

However, I have read the posts about keeping a boat on the water for too long of a period and am curious how many people have their boat in a wetslip during the summer and what maintenance they do.

Also, as we are fairly inexperienced boaters what process is best to secure the boat in the slip. I don't believe the state-park will allow the use of the mooring whip style setups, which look pretty effective.

I've been mooring my boats for over 10 yrs on various Washington lakes with no blistering problems. The only person I ever knew personally who had the problem got it when the boat was sitting on the trailer with wet bunks. The glass that was touching the bunks blistered. And he could only see the problem when the boat was not on the trailer..... with a dive mask.

Pull the boat & clean it good every couple of weeks. Wax will help keep it clean. And using Starbrite Hull cleaner will get the gunk off. Then wax it again.

I use a home made mooring set similar to this one. I bought the rope, PVC & carabiners at Home Depot for less than $30. I backed the boat into the slip. Had a PVC support at each end of the boat, plus a rope going from the back of the slip to the other end of the boat to keep the boat from hitting the dock. I never use bumpers & never have problems.

Or it's available thru marine dealers like Overtons.

26386_L1.jpg

Good luck & welcome to the Crew!

We have been storing boats on the lake for 4-6 months at a time for the past 30 years and have had Nautiques, Mastercrafts and now a Malibu and have had some blistering issues with all of them. My 2002 Response has only recently started to develop some small blisters.

I will say that none of these blisters have ever popped or caused any real issue other than cosmetic below the water line.

I would love to have a lift but they are not allowed on my lake.

We've been keeping our boats on the water in our local river for the past 5 years. Never had any problems with blistering. We take it out every few weeks or so and wash the hull. Can't say that I've ever waxed below the waterline, but probably should. Even without doing it, we've never noticed any problems. I use the Lysol toilet bowl cleaner/Hydrogen peroxide mix to clean the scum off the bottom, it works great.

I use the exact same Stowaway Holdaway thing that Bill shows above. I ordered it from Overton's last year and it works great. The little ball on the end left a small mark on the hull but it should buff out, just waiting till the weather warms up to work on that. I only use one of those on the back, on the front, I tie it off to the bow eye in two locations on the dock so it can't move side to side. This keeps it away from the dock up front and keeps the right amount of tension on the back to keep the PVC contraption working right. Caribina clips are great for attaching to the D rings on the bow and stern so you can quickly tie up and get off the dock.

Thank you for the information. The water in our reservoir will not get over 70degrees this summer - anyone think that warmer water is more prone to cause blisters?

Where on the boat are you attaching the stowaway-holdaway arm.

I want to put my cover on the boat while in the wetslip. The cover goes over the rubrail and over the grab handle above the swim deck in the rear, so I am not sure where to attach the lines or stowaway arm to.

Would you use the bow eye in the front and the transom d-rings in the rear?

Where on the boat are you attaching the stowaway-holdaway arm.

I want to put my cover on the boat while in the wetslip. The cover goes over the rubrail and over the grab handle above the swim deck in the rear, so I am not sure where to attach the lines or stowaway arm to.

Would you use the bow eye in the front and the transom d-rings in the rear?

You got it, Snowrider.

Heres a quick sketch. The red dots are carabiners. The heavy black lines are PVC. And the wavy lines are ropes that should be tighter.

Hook the three carabiners, start your cover at the bow, work your way to the swimstep & then your one hop to the dock.

The PVC is great for those of us who are tied up in a slip with only one side. If you have both sides, just suspend the boat between the two using rope & carabiners. Just be sure to use that rope along the right side in the sketch to keep the boat from drifting back & hitting the dock.

Hope thats a bit more clear.

post-821-1207177724_thumb.jpg

I use a similar system to Bill above, but we pull the boat in forward and just use the stowaway on the back and ropes on the front. If you set it up right, you can use the PVC on the stern to keep it off the dock and use two ropes coming off the bow to the dock in front to keep the front away from the dock. We use the transom D rings and bow eye just as stated above.

The water in our river gets up to 80+ in the months of July and August due to the shallow areas it flows through upriver, so I don't think you'll have a problem if I've never seen anything.

Thanks a lot for the information guys. Our slip will have two sides and we will moor it bow in.

Would you suggest not using the PVC setup and going with ropes/carabiners side-to-side?

Would I also need a longer rope from a front dock cleat to the rear transom and another

rope from a rear dock cleat to the bow eye to prevent the boat moving backward/forward

while in the slip?

Thanks a lot for the information guys. Our slip will have two sides and we will moor it bow in.

Would you suggest not using the PVC setup and going with ropes/carabiners side-to-side?

Would I also need a longer rope from a front dock cleat to the rear transom and another

rope from a rear dock cleat to the bow eye to prevent the boat moving backward/forward

while in the slip?

If your going bow in, then just tie off a carabiner to the bow & then to cleats on either side. Then 2 more carabiners from each stern ring to cleats on either side. This should suspend the boat in the middle. When you set this all up, sit & watch the boat for a bit. If it looks like the wind/waves can push the boat into the slip, then use a 3rd rope on the bow carabiner tied back to the cleat by the stern. This should keep the boat firmly in place.

The reason we got stern in is because the slips are only like 18' long. So once your all tied off & have the cover down, how do you get back to the dock? If the boat is stern in, the dock is right there by the swimstep.

Also, as waves from the main part of the lake hit the boat, I prefer they hit the bow & slide down the length of the boat. If they hit the stern, it can push the boat around a lot.

I don't mean to high-jack this thread but how does everyone tie there Malibu up to a houseboat for the night, the last thing i want to wake up to is my baby bumping up against the side of the houseboat.

I don't mean to high-jack this thread but how does everyone tie there Malibu up to a houseboat for the night, the last thing i want to wake up to is my baby bumping up against the side of the houseboat.

We use anchor buddy, digger anchor, and sandspike, and don't fool with tying the boat to the houseboat at night.

http://www.sandspike.com/products.shtml

We use anchor buddy, digger anchor, and sandspike, and don't fool with tying the boat to the houseboat at night.

http://www.sandspike.com/products.shtml

Ditto.

We had a situation on Shasta last year. We had the big 3 story houseboat. The wind kicked up one afternoon & showed us just how good our anchor lines were...... not. The houseboat ended up getting pushed sideways to the shore & one of the ski boats was between it & the rocks. It got pushed up on to the rocks & had some hull damage as a result. Luckily it was a Supra. Whistling.gif

I'd hate to have that happen in the middle of the night. Tie your baby up separately, bow out the way jjackrash explained. And sleep peacefully.