Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Opinions on towers

Sippi

I was raised on the water, learning from my dad (46 year old cancer surviver). When i was little he used to compete in trick, slalom, and was an avid footer. when he was diagnosed in 03, he sold both our boats (nautique 2001 was his ski boat and the wakesetter). but in 04 i ended up buying an 03 RLX to suprise him. we've made it into a pretty versitile boat. He doesn't foot anymore or slalom that much, but the man rips on a trick ski. Next time we go out i'll video him. But for my dad's bday which is may 7th, i'm going to sign over there title to the rlx to him. I'm in the market for a new boat but that's irrelevant for this particular thread. See Pops tricks behind the RLX on the skylon Pylon we have up. He loves the difference in the tricking from the low pylon to the high pylon. so before i give it to him, i'm going to throw a tower on it for him. I've been looking at two towers. the Samson Edge tower and the Airboom 3D tower. Does anybody have any opinions on these? I showed him a picture a while back of one with the skylon swoop tower and he didn't like the look of it, nor did he care for the look of the titan or the monster. he liked both of these though. So any of your experiences with them or even opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Samson Malibu Pics

Airboom Malibu Pics

Yea i like the look of the samson a little better too. Plus its custom made for each boat. The only thing i'm not a huge fan of is the extra bend at the top. where it kind of kinks up again. but i don't know anyone with experience with either one of these.

THe towers themselves aside, Samson is great to deal with - before & after the sale. Maybe the other outfit is too, but I have never dealt with them.

My advice is to not only base your ideas on looks but to go and shake one on a boat. Many of these towers look killer but flop around like a fish on a dock.

Plus1.gif

I talked to scott at Samson, he seemed like a really nice guy. I asked him about my bimini that's already on there. He said that he doesn't want to make a $2,000 tower shakey to try and fit a stock bimini on it. But that he'd hook me up with a bimini at cost if it didn't fit. So it looks like he takes sturdiness into consideration. He was also really nice and sent me pics of a couple of more responses with the towers. I'm leaning towards them mainly becuase of how nice the guy is, and the fact that its custom made for each boat. So i would think it would be sturdy. that and the two emails that i have written airboom i haven't gotten anything back. And i believe airbooms tower is adjustable and telescopes at the top and that doesn't appeal to me at all!

I showed him a picture a while back of one with the skylon swoop tower and he didn't like the look of it, nor did he care for the look of the titan or the monster.
I know this wasn’t on your list but I can tell you that the Titan’s don’t move or sway.

:Doh:

I have horrible experiences with both these towers & would never own either one. Both include catastrophic failures where there was major damage to the boat & gear & in one case, a person. If looks are what your basing this decision on, go with either one.

If you want strength, run, don't walk, away from both. I have personal connections with both companies. Yet I have a Titan II. It's definitely not the prettiest. But it is by far the sturdiest.

I showed him a picture a while back of one with the skylon swoop tower and he didn't like the look of it, nor did he care for the look of the titan or the monster.
I know this wasn't on your list but I can tell you that the Titan's don't move or sway.

:Doh:

Well Sampson and Airboom are on the list, Titan isn't so I'm correct :) ..... For strength alone I'd recommend taking another look at Titan. The Sampson looks similiar to the swoop, I'm surprised that you would like one and not the other.

My advice is to not only base your ideas on looks but to go and shake one on a boat. Many of these towers look killer but flop around like a fish on a dock.

Plus1.gif

Shake one with boards and speakers on it, weight plays a part in the flop. Going by the looks, Sampson.

Edited by txwakejunkie

Thanks guys, I spoke with a few people that have samson towers or been around them and they said they were very solid. Since they are custom made for each boat, and whatnot i would figure they would be as well. I ended up going with a red samson edge tower with the swivel boardracks (his trick ski will fit on it) and a new bimini for him.

Now it looks like i'll have to sell the red skylon pylon, with skylon skyrack, and customed bimini that i had made so that the pylon goes through the bimini. Anybody with an RLX interested let me know.

Now it looks like i'll have to sell the red skylon pylon, with skylon skyrack, and customed bimini that i had made so that the pylon goes through the bimini. Anybody with an RLX interested let me know.

Ask martho, he just got a red Response.