Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V Drive Oil Change

I'm trying to change the oil in the v-drive on an 01 VLX. I know the oil I need and I know it needs to be pulled out by vacume. But what I don't know is how to do it. Where do you pull the oil out, and how do you check the level to make sure its not over full?

Suck it out the dip stick hole. If you have a SuckUp, it should have a thinner hose that can slide and clamp into the clear thicker hose used when changing your motor oil. http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SUC01

You fill it the same way, thru the dip stick hole. make sure the boat is level or do this on the water and fill until the oil level is within the marks on the dip stick. It's not much, maybe a qt.

Also , if you have the SuckUp, go to Lowes and buy a female brass fitting that can clamp onto the the clear urethane hose. One end of the brass fitting will be a barb the other will be a female npt (not sure of the thread size) and then you can screw your SuckUp onto your oil drain hose when changing the motor oil without ANY mess whatsoever. You'll still be able to slide the thinner hose into the thicker clear one to change the transmission oil and gearbox oil.

They both have dipsticks, IIRC.

On the bell housing of the tranny is a red screw in type dipstick, whereas the Vdrive dipstick is atop the Vrdive itself and is not threaded and just slips in/out. Usually a round, black knob.

To change both, I simply check the levels immediately before sucking out with the vaccum...then simply refill to the same level.....BAM! Done...that simple. Thumbup.gif

Dave,

Isn't the one with the dipstick the transmission?

Edited by WaveMake'nLSV

There is a small round knob just to the right of the round dipstick...and I believe it IS the vent for the Vdrive. Dontknow.gif

Ok, I know what I'm looking for now. I didn't know that the round thing was a dipstick. Thought it was some kind of vent.