Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

boat carpet in 04 VLX

hawaiianstyln

I have always kept my carpets VERY clean by always rinsing out with a hose or scrubbing the carpets once a month. Now, i'm wondering if I have a mildew issue underneath the carpet. Whenever my carpet gets wet even if it's in a spot the size of your hand, it starts to smell musty. It's not like a dog hair smell or anything like that, nor have I ever let dogs in my boat. However, I can come back from the lake and have a few wet spots in the carpet, then put the boat in the garage, one hour later the garage smells midly bad from the carpets. Does anyone think I could have mildew underneath the carpets that's not visible? If so, how can I get rid of this smell? Can I wash the entire flooring/carpet of the boat with some product that will get rid of the smell whether it's mildew or the carpet is going bad?

It really causes problems when I take this boat on a trip where we are using the boat all day long for 3-4 days. The carpets stay wet almost the whole time it seems and they smell.

:(

My boat smells :( hahaha

Keith

I have always kept my carpets VERY clean by always rinsing out with a hose or scrubbing the carpets once a month. Now, i'm wondering if I have a mildew issue underneath the carpet. Whenever my carpet gets wet even if it's in a spot the size of your hand, it starts to smell musty. It's not like a dog hair smell or anything like that, nor have I ever let dogs in my boat. However, I can come back from the lake and have a few wet spots in the carpet, then put the boat in the garage, one hour later the garage smells midly bad from the carpets. Does anyone think I could have mildew underneath the carpets that's not visible? If so, how can I get rid of this smell? Can I wash the entire flooring/carpet of the boat with some product that will get rid of the smell whether it's mildew or the carpet is going bad?

It really causes problems when I take this boat on a trip where we are using the boat all day long for 3-4 days. The carpets stay wet almost the whole time it seems and they smell.

:(

My boat smells :( hahaha

Keith

I clean mine with a carpet cleaner

works for me

smell is probably coming from under the gas tank and bilge try cleaning that

Edited by my malibu

That happens to ours, but it goes away after a day or so. We try and vaccum the boat out after each time we go out and let it sit in the sun for a few hours before we put it away in the garage.

yup, it goes away or I can put a high power fan in the boat. I just didn't know if it was due to mildew or something. Maybe it's just due to the non-circulating hot garage and it's inevitable that it will stink if it's not completely dry. I just don't seem to remember that smell when I first got the boat and my carpets were wet for a few days in a garage.

I use a shop vac and literally vacuum out the water. man, you'd be surprised at the amount of water that carpet will hold.

does it sit in the garage under a cover? If so, you need to use DampRid or something like that.

probably got a point there... Yah, I have a 26 foot garage attached to the house. I'll start vacuuming the water out and then leave it in the sun for a little bit maybe (or high power fan)

stop using a water hose for sure. clean it like you would your living room carpet. you woundnt turn a hose on that would you?

An animal might have gotten in the boat. Something got into mine not sure if it was at the dealer or our house cat. In any case it took three soaks with the garden hose and a bottle of the naturalizing urine solution found in pet stores. I have not had a problem since.

i've used some sort of carpet cleaner everytime.

thats is probably what i causing the smell the carpet cleaner

I clean mine with regular soap

If you haven't been vacuuming out the water, that's the problem right there.

Go and buy a small handheld one. Easy to move around and hold while you're sucking out the rear lockers.

The carpet holds an incredible amount of water. You'll be surprised when you first use it.

Then leave it out in the air for a bit. AZ is so dry, it should suck up any moisture quickly, whether it's in the sun or not. But sun is always good.

On trips when the boat sits in the water for many days:

I always wipe down the vinyl at the end of the day. I'll also open up all the lockers, tweak the seats a bit, jockey stuff around so air ventilates the whole boat. Often during the day I'll open up all the lockers as well and put wet vests in the sun. Just an effort to dry things out. Otherwise you're always fighting mold.

I've got an '04 and this method has worked well for us.

If you haven't been vacuuming out the water, that's the problem right there.

Go and buy a small handheld one. Easy to move around and hold while you're sucking out the rear lockers.

The carpet holds an incredible amount of water. You'll be surprised when you first use it.

Then leave it out in the air for a bit. AZ is so dry, it should suck up any moisture quickly, whether it's in the sun or not. But sun is always good.

On trips when the boat sits in the water for many days:

I always wipe down the vinyl at the end of the day. I'll also open up all the lockers, tweak the seats a bit, jockey stuff around so air ventilates the whole boat. Often during the day I'll open up all the lockers as well and put wet vests in the sun. Just an effort to dry things out. Otherwise you're always fighting mold.

I've got an '04 and this method has worked well for us.

Plus1.gif

I have also found that if you do get a little bit of a bad carpet smell, Febreeze will get rid of it immediately and won't hurt the carpet. I would wait for the carpet to be dry before using it, though.