Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gapping spark plugs

I purchased a new set of spark plugs for my 05 HH. I noticed that the metal tab that wraps around the bottom of the plug creating the gap does not line up perfectly with the electrode coming out of the bottom of the sparkplug. The plugs I removed from the boat lined up perfectly. Should I be concerned with this? Also, how important is it to get the gapping accurate?

Yes, you should address the issue, as spark plug gap is quite important for good firing properties. I the gap specifications may be in your engine manual. Otherwise, contact Malibu for the proper gap for your make/model/year engine. If you aren't familiar with proper spark plaug gapping techniques, it's very easy to do with the $1 tool from your local autoparts store. Let us know if you need assistance in checking/setting the gap.

Yes, Yes, and more yes...

Gap is very important (.045) Make sure not to replace your plugs with what came in the engine from the factory. To make a long story short, GM sells the engines to indmar with platinum plugs in them all ready. Instead of taking them out and throwing them away they leave them in. Platinum plugs are meant for cars running at 240 degs... since we run at 160 the platinum plugs never get hot enough to cook off all the carbon build up. Therefor they are usually junk after a year 100+ hours.

NGK plugs are by far the best to use, go with the BPR6EFS, here is a link to my local dealers page http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=765

Avoid autolite like the plauge, they crack and fail way too often...

hope this helped

I certainly like the price of the NGK BPR6EFS plugs. So these are a direct replacement of the AC Delco 41-993?

No risks of running these?

Timely topic as I will be replacing my plugs this spring. I was looking at plugs on SKIDIM's website. They show NGK TR5 for my boat. What is the difference between it and NGK BPR6EFS?

Just an FYI.. You can get the NGK BPR6EFS spark plugs at most auto part stores for $1.59.

Really? I've never found them that cheap. Boatfix.com has them for $1.77 ea.

I don't know if they're all that cheap but I got a set at Oreilys Auto Parts.. I think you can order them off their web site..

Link

I have a feeling your gap should be .060. Oh, and what cars run at 240*?

Edited by electricjohn