Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Excessive water

Sorry about the spelling of HDS. I had no idea what is was let alone how to spell it. This brings me to my next question.

I am taking on approx. 5 litres of water shortly after launching and cannot find its source. I have elimated the rear, centre and front ballast and also the log gland. I am convinced the water is entering from the back of the boat, so what other areas should I check? :)

Sorry about the spelling of HDS. I had no idea what is was let alone how to spell it. This brings me to my next question.

I am taking on approx. 5 litres of water shortly after launching and cannot find its source. I have elimated the rear, centre and front ballast and also the log gland. I am convinced the water is entering from the back of the boat, so what other areas should I check? :)

Maybe a few more details would help.

What is a log gland Dontknow.gif

Does it take on 5 litres and then stop? Does the bilge kick on after 5 litres?

Some places to look.

If your convinced it's from the back there is a brass screww fitting in the back of the boat near the bottom of the hull, is it in place?

Do you have a shower on your boat? Even if it's turned off some people report water coming in unless the valves are closed.

If it was winterized, are the drains for the block back in place?

A leak in a hose?

Maybe a few more details would help.

What is a log gland Dontknow.gif

Does it take on 5 litres and then stop? Does the bilge kick on after 5 litres?

Some places to look.

If your convinced it's from the back there is a brass screww fitting in the back of the boat near the bottom of the hull, is it in place?

Do you have a shower on your boat? Even if it's turned off some people report water coming in unless the valves are closed.

If it was winterized, are the drains for the block back in place?

A leak in a hose?

Is what you are calling a log gland the drive shaft packing nuts? Have you watched it? They can leak that much.

it's hard to get rid of all the water in the bildge on a VLX, you might just have residual water in the bildge. Have you tried parking on a steap hill and pulling the transom plug? It might be as simple as that.

The shaft packing seal needs to be tightened 1-2 times a year (if you want to do it right) If you haven't done that recently, i would start there.

You posibly could be leaking at any thru hull fitting or thru bolt. So do the oppisate, fill your bildge full of water (turn off your battery switch so the bildge pump doesn't kick on. Fill it up as much as you can (don't get the starter or alternator wet) and just let it sit. Come back to the boat a hour later or so and look to see where the water is leaking underneath the boat.

good luck

it's hard to get rid of all the water in the bildge on a VLX, you might just have residual water in the bildge. Have you tried parking on a steap hill and pulling the transom plug? It might be as simple as that.

The shaft packing seal needs to be tightened 1-2 times a year (if you want to do it right) If you haven't done that recently, i would start there.

You posibly could be leaking at any thru hull fitting or thru bolt. So do the oppisate, fill your bildge full of water (turn off your battery switch so the bildge pump doesn't kick on. Fill it up as much as you can (don't get the starter or alternator wet) and just let it sit. Come back to the boat a hour later or so and look to see where the water is leaking underneath the boat.

good luck

Good point. Another way to get the water out is to put the boat on a fairly level surface (like a garage or wherever you store the boat) and raise the trailer jack to the point where the water pools around the t-handle drain plug under the v-drive. Drain as much as you can out the drain hole and suck the rest out with a shop vac. If there is no power available, you can use a big sponge to soak up the remaining water. By getting all the water out of the boat, you will get a better idea of how bad the leak is.

Check the packing nut as others have suggested, just be careful at the start of the year. If the boat hasn't been used in some time, the packing will shrink & will leak a lot on that first run. After that, it swells back up a bit. It isn't much, but it's enough to create a significant amount of water vs. what it will swell to after that first run.

The other thing to look for is a leaky hose. A common one is at the tranny cooler. Sometimes the clamps on the hose to the cooler will get overtightened & it will crush the orifice on the cooler. If you run the engine & watch it while it's running (particularly at speed, of course you need someone with you to do that), it will become apparent if there's a leak.

good luck

That a great idea many thanks

Deano

good luck

Good point. Another way to get the water out is to put the boat on a fairly level surface (like a garage or wherever you store the boat) and raise the trailer jack to the point where the water pools around the t-handle drain plug under the v-drive. Drain as much as you can out the drain hole and suck the rest out with a shop vac. If there is no power available, you can use a big sponge to soak up the remaining water. By getting all the water out of the boat, you will get a better idea of how bad the leak is.

Great idea Many thanks