Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Switching?

relentless

So last year I started working at a Nautique and Tige dealership because when I talked to the manager of the local Malibu dealership he told me that "we don't need you crazy young people running around here messing things up." So throughout the year I get the chance to go out on several different boats. Anywhere from a 21LSV Sunscape (which is what we own) to 24 wakesetter to the 220 Nautique. Throughout that summer I learn really what all nautique offered in their boats. (before hand I had considered them one of the top 3 but had known nothing other than that) I was able to see what they both had to offer.

Malibu+

more storage under seats

sleeker look

threw a good wake

wedge

Nautique+

More innovative and user friendly seating

storage above the engine that keeps life vests warm

steps going down to the platform

wakeplate provides more adjustments uses less gass

boat in-general needs less weight to produce the a similar or better wake(depending on your style) the difference is even greater when add the theoretical weight that the wedge(mounted on hollow stringers) adds

Keyless entry(not all think it as a plus that you will never forget your key)

I know you won"t believe it unless you saw my past posts but I was a die hard BU fan that would never change. Right up until I was exposed to Nautique fully and was able to compare apples to apples. So to sum this up we are switching to a Nautique 210. Our current boat, a 2004 21LSV Sunscape threw a solid wake for skiing, wakeboarding and surfing. However we did have 1500lbs in after market ballast and another 500lbs in lead shot with boat of anywhere from 3 to 10 people. Oh ya and by the way it is for sale if anyone is interested. The real problem however is that it performs terribly with that much weight.

I think I am able to say that I have have experience in enough different boats I am making this decision without too much of a bias but PLEASE let me know if anyone has experience that can help in any way.

thank you for your time in advance

Paul

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NorCaliBu

• relentless

• MalibuNation

• chathamsolutions

there is still time to back out so I just want to make sure there is something someone else knows that I don't that may change our minds. Dontknow.gif

We already have re-propped it. Yes it made a huge improvement but it still is very lacking.

Edited by relentless

Boarded behind most popular boats out there, and stock wake and wedge nothing can beat VLX Wakesetter. The 210 will be awful crowded, no matter how you look at it. Since you have made up your mind, enjoy. Not even a comparison in my mind.

As long as you are not paying for it, how bout this one? Its 1100 Hp and throws hell of a wake:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2007-SEA-RAY-60DA-89042378

HAHHAAHA great...

but, seriously, it sounds like your mind has been made up and you are not even weighing the options anymore!

I believe Malibu offers comparable options to most of the ones you have listed in the Nautique category as well!

I'll never stop being amazed by the young folks making the buying decisions re Dad's boat..... or drilling holes in Dad's boat..... or feeling they've "helped" because they added the stereo system.

My goodness.... what does Dad think? Or, does he just say "whatever you want!" And yes, sounds like Dad also sprung for a new prop on said old boat.

As you're making the decision..... have you figured out what dad will be paying for this upgrade? Have you figured out what he lost in depreciation on the current boat?

I kinda think you're still smarting from the negative "young fella" comment from the Malibu dealer. Trouble is, I think I might sound just like him/her.

Oh.... by the way..... what kind of boat does Dad want/need? Betcha that 2004 LSV Sunscape's doin' just fine.

Edited by doughickey
So last year I started working at a Nautique and Tige dealership because when I talked to the manager of the local Malibu dealership he told me that "we don't need you crazy young people running around here messing things up." So throughout the year I get the chance to go out on several different boats. Anywhere from a 21LSV Sunscape (which is what we own) to 24 wakesetter to the 220 Nautique. Throughout that summer I learn really what all nautique offered in their boats. (before hand I had considered them one of the top 3 but had known nothing other than that) I was able to see what they both had to offer.

Malibu+

more storage under seats

sleeker look

threw a good wake

wedge

Nautique+

boat in-general needs less weight to produce the a similar or better wake(depending on your style) the difference is even greater when add the theoretical weight that the wedge(mounted on hollow stringers) adds

I know you won"t believe it unless you saw my past posts but I was a die hard BU fan that would never change. Right up until I was exposed to Nautique fully and was able to compare apples to apples. So to sum this up we are switching to a Nautique 210. Our current boat, a 2004 21LSV Sunscape threw a solid wake for skiing, wakeboarding and surfing. However we did have 1500lbs in after market ballast and another 500lbs in lead shot with boat of anywhere from 3 to 10 people. Oh ya and by the way it is for sale if anyone is interested. The real problem however is that it performs terribly with that much weight.

I think I am able to say that I have have experience in enough different boats I am making this decision without too much of a bias but PLEASE let me know if anyone has experience that can help in any way.

Paul

Your post started out with you sounding rather knowledgable about the boats, then I read down further and found out I was mistaken. Go do some more research or testing. I'm not so sure about some of those statements you made, especially about the wedge. Needs less weight to produce better wake, maybe if you like smaller wakes but that must be your style.

Edited by 06vlx

"More innovative and user friendly seating"

Personal opinion.

"storage above the engine that keeps life vests warm"

Malibu has the same thing.

"steps going down to the platform"

I would never want this in a boat. Takes up valued deck space. The one exact reason my wife didn't like the SV211 that we considered buying.

"wakeplate provides more adjustments uses less gass"

Is this an assumption or are there facts to back it up?

"boat in-general needs less weight to produce the a similar or better wake(depending on your style) the difference is even greater when add the theoretical weight that the wedge(mounted on hollow stringers) adds"

Someone said the samething about a Tige vs. Nati. Also, someone said the samething with a MC vs Nati. Might be another personal opinion.

"Keyless entry(not all think it as a plus that you will never forget your key)"

Cool feature, but is there an extra cost to have it?? Since I have been boating for 20 years and cannot EVER remember forgetting the keys, I would not pay extra for this feature.

When I owned MC, I use to really like the looks of the Nati's and never paid much attention to Malibu. When it came down to selling my MC and buying a Nati, someone from Wakeworld suggested I look at Malibu. I checked them out and was sold in about 5 minutes. In my opinion (and my wife's) there is no comparison. We will be back in an MC before we go to a Nati.

Good luck.

A good friend of mine has a 210TE, It's is a very nice boat. I like it but it's too small for all day on the lake trips not enough storage and it has an ice chest where the glove box is supposed to be(cell phones wallets keys go here) the only Nautiques I care for are the 210TE maybe if they make one just like it bit bigger I'll look again before I buy another boat. Also,everyone likes to ride behind the 210 it's great, but we all like to ride behind and in my VLX, including my 210 Buddie.

e.

Malibu+

more storage under seats

sleeker look

threw a good wake

wedge

Nautique+

More innovative and user friendly seatingYou said Innovative :lol:

storage above the engine that keeps life vests warm Bu has this too. so you can feel all warm and fuzzy in your preheated vest Baby.gif

steps going down to the platform Stop the games: Vomit.gif

wakeplate provides more adjustments uses less gass Dontknow.gif

boat in-general needs less weight to produce the a similar or better wake(depending on your style) the difference is even greater when add the theoretical weight that the wedge(mounted on hollow stringers) adds Better wake than a VLX well..., maybe a different shape And hallow stringers why not ? Is the 21 LSV sunscape on a wake hull ?

Keyless entry(not all think it as a plus that you will never forget your key) I like this feature, cause I like gadgets, I also like the trunk release set up

Paul

The 210TE is a very nice boat, enjoy.

MalibuNation
I'll never stop being amazed by the young folks making the buying decisions re Dad's boat..... or drilling holes in Dad's boat..... or feeling they've "helped" because they added the stereo system.

My goodness.... what does Dad think? Or, does he just say "whatever you want!" And yes, sounds like Dad also sprung for a new prop on said old boat.

As you're making the decision..... have you figured out what dad will be paying for this upgrade? Have you figured out what he lost in depreciation on the current boat?

I kinda think you're still smarting from the negative "young fella" comment from the Malibu dealer. Trouble is, I think I might sound just like him/her.

Oh.... by the way..... what kind of boat does Dad want/need? Betcha that 2004 LSV Sunscape's doin' just fine.

Not only is the young whipper snapper helping his dad ... he is helping us realize how bad our boats are. Thanks and good luck with your new boat.

Not only is the young whipper snapper helping his dad ... he is helping us realize how bad our boats are.

Yep, just realized all of those 210 advantages, going today to see about trading my 07 VLX. :Doh:ROFL.gif

Only been in the Nati's at the boat show, but IMO they are the clunkiest looking things out there. They are quality, and run great, but I think the towers are fugly, and the seating is very uncomfortable. I was looking at an SV211( LOVE the walk thru by the way- agree on that with you), but the seats were stiff and low to the ground- very similar to the Moomba feel, but with better vinyl. Also- the room inside is much less- I ended up with an 06 VLX and it rocks.

First of all he's not even comparing what I would consider comparable boats. The nauti he speaks of should be compared with a wakesetter, not sunscape which is on diamond hull. If you're just about wakeboarding, then clearly you should be using the wake hull for comparison. I think some nautiques are good looking, but as soon as they're on the water I remember why I prefer malibu. Have fun having to ask youir friends to rearrange themselves each time you get up so the wake doesn't wash! Take a hull thats been used from the mid eighties (SN 2001), design a flashy yet unpractical top deck and that's innovative? Not to mention that a "wakeplate" is the biggest marketing ploy ever. It CANNOT increase water displacement, it can only decrease running attitude and REDUCE the wake. They trick you because they set it down, wake looks small, then pick it up and it looks bigger...its the same size it would have been if it wasn't even on!!

That said, is it totally normal to be/work around something and naturally see its benefits and none of its faults, sure, but CCs don't do anything for me personally.

Malibu+

more storage under seats

sleeker look

threw a good wake

wedge

Nautique+

Paul

This has to be one of the most inaccurate comparisons I have seen!

Correct Craft makes good quality boats. In my opinion, Mastercraft, Malibu, and Correct Craft are all similar in quality. They each have their positives and negatives, which is why people pick one over the other. At the end of the day, it is personal preference. I tried several other boats before I bought my VTX but after my demo on a VTX with the Cut Diamond Hull, I didn’t need to test any other boats. My decision was based more on slalom and barefoot performance than wakeboarding wakes so others may make different decisions. I personally don’t know why anyone would pick the SV211 over the VTX but I am sure they have their reasons.

If I had to give one or two reasons why I picked my VTX with the CD Hull over the following boats (just my opinions and to be fair, I only have skied behind the VTX, Tige 20V, and Mastercraft X-2 – I later found out my X-2 test was without the slalom plate but have a friend who bought an X-2 so I will get a couple of sets behind it this summer):

Ski Natique SV211 – VTX-CD has better performance (slalom & footing wakes and top speed) and much much more seating room.

Mastercraft X-2 – VTX-CD has better slalom wake and the boat felt more like I was in a big stern drive and riding on top of the water than connected to it like my Malibu Response (Think of the feel of a 7-Series BMW vs minivan. You have to get a direct drive to get the Porsche 911 feel.)

Tige 20V – VTX-CD has better slalom wake and a much more luxurious feel but impressed me more than I expected it would.

Centurion SV220 – Not quite enough top speed for footing. The 6.2L was slower than the VTX with Monsoon.

Sanger V215 – Closest Midwest Dealer was about 8 hours away, but I am pretty sure the VTX has a better slalom wake.

Supra Launch 20SSV – Not very good slalom performance and not quite the same quality.

Moomba – Felt like I was in a Bayjunker. Even though the salesperson pushed hard at the boat show, I couldn’t get out of the driver’s seat quick enough.

That local Malibu shop that told him no actually happens to be the shop I go to. I sure know I don't want someone young messing with my boat. Also, the Natique dealership has since lost Natiques and they are selling at another shop. Not sure what that says.

As many others have stated, it sounds like this is a done deal. But you asked, so here goes.

1. The comments about bad comparisons are accurate. You shouldn't be comparing the 210 to any diamond hull boat, the 2 hulls weren't built for the same thing.

2. Have you & your family spent any measurable time on the water in the CC? If not, you should before you buy. The comments regarding size, ergonomics & comfort are valid.

3. The comment that you made about the wedge on hollow stringers smacks of Kool Aid that CC & other manufacturers have passed around for years. We're not CC buyers, so you don't need to try to get us to drink it. Most of us acknowledge that CC makes a great boat, its focus is just a bit different than Malibu's.

4. Wake - Now I haven't been behind a new CC so take this with a grain of salt. But when I was at the boat shows this year I did a lot of talking with all of the reps that were there, including CC. One of the things that the CC rep told me (and this came from a CC sales rep, so it's not just conjecture) is that they've changed the hull on the 210 from one that created an incredibly steep wake to one that is much more mild & rampy, eliminating the buck off of the lip & the trough on the landing. It sounded very similar to that of a VLX or even a MC. Apparently it really ticked off a lot of the team riders as well as their loyal customer base that liked the old hull & how it performed. So if CC is changing their hulls to perform like a Malibu, what does that tell you? ;)

MalibuNation
As many others have stated, it sounds like this is a done deal. But you asked, so here goes.

1. The comments about bad comparisons are accurate. You shouldn't be comparing the 210 to any diamond hull boat, the 2 hulls weren't built for the same thing.

2. Have you & your family spent any measurable time on the water in the CC? If not, you should before you buy. The comments regarding size, ergonomics & comfort are valid.

3. The comment that you made about the wedge on hollow stringers smacks of Kool Aid that CC & other manufacturers have passed around for years. We're not CC buyers, so you don't need to try to get us to drink it. Most of us acknowledge that CC makes a great boat, its focus is just a bit different than Malibu's.

4. Wake - Now I haven't been behind a new CC so take this with a grain of salt. But when I was at the boat shows this year I did a lot of talking with all of the reps that were there, including CC. One of the things that the CC rep told me (and this came from a CC sales rep, so it's not just conjecture) is that they've changed the hull on the 210 from one that created an incredibly steep wake to one that is much more mild & rampy, eliminating the buck off of the lip & the trough on the landing. It sounded very similar to that of a VLX or even a MC. Apparently it really ticked off a lot of the team riders as well as their loyal customer base that liked the old hull & how it performed. So if CC is changing their hulls to perform like a Malibu, what does that tell you? ;)

WG, very well put

MalibuNation
I love these posts. Remember the Tige one. That lit off like wild fire.

That's the first thing I thought of.

Heck, I'd ski behind a Bayliner or Jetski if that was my only choice.

The difference being that the Tige guy didn't ask for opinions, he was just a troll that got everyone riled up & then tried to pass it off on his kid in the end (lame). I think that Relentless is trying to make a good, informed decision, & quite honestly that's prudent given the amount of money that these boats cost. (Whether his parents buy the boat or he does, makes no difference to me. The fact that he wants to be involved & is trying to be informed about it is actually quite a bit in his favor in my book.) If he sells CC, then obviously he's a bit biased, but the fact that he's asking may show that he's big enough to overcome that bias & make the attempt to look at the 2 brands objectively.