Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge Vs Sacks

Mikaila

Now that gas prices are getting so high, does any one know if you get better fuel economy if you sack your bu vs the wedge? I have a 2006 VLX and I am running all four ballast tanks and the stock prop that came with the boat. Also how does the wake compare with ballast and fat sacks instead of ballast and wedge? I haven't experimented with it much, yet. Any info is appreciated!

I'd be guessing that mileage with the Wedge down would be worse for a couple of reasons. First of all the boat performs horribly, and it rides bow high.

But I haven't tested it either.

When I ride it's ballast and wedge always, havn't really rode with just ballast. But I am concerned with fuel economy myself so my theory for this summer is if you can't jump W2W you don't need all the ballast and wedge. If you can jump W2W with grabs and 180's just ballast or just wedge. If you are trying inverts, 360, etc filler up and hit it hard.

I don't know how well this will work or even how well I will stick to my rules but this is the plan for now. I honestly don't think adding more ballast and no wedge is going to help fuel economy since your draft will be more and you will have more boat in the water and pushing more water, but I could be wrong.

For the same amount of downforce, the wedge will add more drag than just sacks. Therefore, the sacks should be better on fuel economy (if you are running steady state). If you have a lot of starting and stopping or ride with the sacks full when you would raise the wedge then this may not be the case in practice but at 20 - 22 mph with the wedge or just sacks providing the same downforce, you will get better fuel economy with the sacks.