Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Raw Water Hose Breaks

We just got off the water from what was an early day as my Raw Water hose sprun an leak. Not just a leak, but a four inch split in two places. Any ideas on what could cause this? Too much pressure? I have 2006 and live in AZ. It isn't like it got too cold or old.

Did it split right down the middle? I have an 2007 VLX and had mine on the water less than 12 hours and the same hose burst. The dealer told me there were a bad batch of hoses.

Where did it fail? If it is the "J" shaped section of hose that runs from the raw water pump to the thermostat housing on the front of the engine (towards the back of your boat), it was a faulty hose as bu2007vlx mentioned. Most of boats were repaired under a TSB from Indmar/Malibu, but some slipped through the cracks. Once the new hose is on you won't have any problems.

If it failed some where else then we'll need to investigate a little bit more to figure out the cause. :)

It split down the middle in a couple of places. It is the J-shaped hose toward the back. The hose is only about 12" I would say and the inlets (connection points) are pretty much right on top of each other.

Thanks for the help!

Last summer something very similar happened to us out on the water. When we got the boat home and I removed the hose completely I started inspecting everything. What I found was pieces of the impeller where stuck on the screen going into the thermostat restricting the amount of water flow. So I pulled all the rubber impeller out and off the screen and replaced the hose. Ordered a new impeller, when I went to replace the impeller the old one was still new and not broken. The pieces of impeller that where stuck on the screen where from a impeller failure before.

After losing an impeller I will pull the trans cooler an clean right away After putting everything back together and running for some time you need to pull the trans cooler again and clean again.

I have found parts of an impeller two years after losing it. That is a good reason to replace the impeller yearly but this does not guarantee not losing one during the season.

• 1 year later...

After posting on the other forum I found this discussion.

I have an 07 Wakesetter LSV and my bilge has been constantly running and bilging warm/hot water. Did yours (Timmybop) do the same thing? As you have an 06 LSV. Another member also said to check the J hose. Mine is slipped out at the lake so I'll have to check but is that something you can do yourself?

Thanks.

After posting on the other forum I found this discussion.

I have an 07 Wakesetter LSV and my bilge has been constantly running and bilging warm/hot water. Did yours (Timmybop) do the same thing? As you have an 06 LSV. Another member also said to check the J hose. Mine is slipped out at the lake so I'll have to check but is that something you can do yourself?

Thanks.

You're posting on a really old thread. Don't know if timmypop is still around.

Might be as easy as tightening all of your hose clamps, but don't crank them too tight, you can crush some of the metal parts.

I would make sure there is not too much back pressure/ clog at your thermostat (not likely if the boat is operating at temperature OK but i would still think about checking it since it's so easy to take a look at)

The circ pump J hose, Indmar had a bad batch in mid 2007 (but not in 06') the issue was very isolated.

The formed raw water hose (after the impeller) if that ruptures or splits, it is all most always caused by too much back pressure because there is a clog at the transmission cooler (Grass, impeller debris, I've even pulled out a plastic bag that made it all the way to the cooler)

-Paul

Hi Paul. I haven't looked at my transmission screen before...where is it located? and is it easy to access and clean? What does the cooler look like?? I am familiar with the major components and do all of my maintenance except the above. Thanks,

Dave

Hi Paul. I haven't looked at my transmission screen before...where is it located? and is it easy to access and clean? What does the cooler look like?? I am familiar with the major components and do all of my maintenance except the above. Thanks,

Dave

The hose after your raw water pump trerminates on the infeed side of the tranny cooler. It is a black cylinder about 3" in diameter and maybe 5-6 " long. The screen is actually the honeycombed heat exchanger inside the tube.