Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

need HELP from crew

weazer

hello crew need help on what to do about my dealer and my steering vibration on my new 07 VLX with 20 hrs on it. See I took my boat in twice to have the steering vibration fixed and I have been told both times it was fixed and still not fixed so boat was left at dealer for the third time. My problem is I have spent over $1,000 on gas ,rooms and food since dealer is 4hrs from my house (local dealers are a**ssholes) should I ask for reimbursement or a new boat or my money back and go buy another boat or what? This is my first Malibu and not very happy considering how much I spent on the boat and getting screwed by the dealer as far as I can see please give me your thoughts on what I should do am I over reacting?

Edited by weazer

All i have to say is i ran into some pretty major issues with my 08 response during break in this weekend.

Curious as to how Malibu handles it....this boat has to pull a tournament on saturday!

99 the vibration is in the steering wheel when I'm going 37mph or above when I turn to the right it feels as though something in the steering column is vibrating when I go back to straight it is gone (VIBRATION-take a pen and hold between your fingers that are making a peace sign and go back and forth real fast) this is what it feel like but seems to me to be metal parts I don't know I'm no mechanic. So what you guys are saying is that I have to take the boat as is even if they can't fix it is this Malibu's customer service god I hope not

Sounds like a prop issue. What brand, size, and blade configuration is your prop? Is it the original prop? Has it ever been off.

Also, have you ever checked the adjustable piece on your rudder to make sure that it is tight?

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

yes they checked the trim tab on the rudder twice said it was tightened also tightened drive shaft and replaced steering cable prop is the original and by my knowledge has never been off

Edited by weazer

I think that I'd get under the boat to see if there was a hit anywhere in the running gear. It doesn't take much at all to create a shimmy like that at speed, & a small one wouldn't necessarily show up at slower speeds. And if it was a small hit, it may have been something that you weren't even aware of.

The boat is yours and the dealer won’t take it back, nor trade it, unless under SEVERE circumstances. If you feel that the dealer hasn’t addressed the problem and isn’t working with you to resolve the issue then contacting Malibu is the next step. Having work preformed by an unauthorized dealer isn’t something that I’d do, unless arrangements have been made w/ Malibu. Accompany the dealer on a water test this way he gets an accurate account of what is going on and proof that the issue has yet to be resolved.

99 the vibration is in the steering wheel when I'm going 37mph or above when I turn to the right it feels as though something in the steering column is vibrating when I go back to straight it is gone (VIBRATION-take a pen and hold between your fingers that are making a peace sign and go back and forth real fast) this is what it feel like but seems to me to be metal parts I don't know I'm no mechanic. So what you guys are saying is that I have to take the boat as is even if they can't fix it is this Malibu's customer service god I hope not

My '97 VLX had a similar symptom - only vibrated in rh turns & did not always do it. It ended up being the steering cable pressed up against the "big hose off of the water pump" (started to call it the lower radiator hose :unsure: ). When you turn the wheel & the rudder moves - the "handle" of the rudder where he cable attaches moves side to side which changes the route of the cable. When the dealer looks - probably the rudder is straight & the cable is not touching anything that would transmit engine vibration, but when it is turned right - the cable presses up against something on the engine. Good luck with it.

Try a different prop (pitch) and I bet the problem goes away. Just borrow a prop and give it a shot, can't hurt.

I have seen similar vibs that are just an incompatibility of prop to drive system under extreme load at speed.

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

yes they checked the trim tab on the Rutter twice said it was tightened also tightened drive shaft and replaced steering cable prop is the original and by my knowledge has never been off
Biggrin.gif rutter :lol: Edited by SacRiverRat

just talked to dealer and h said Malibu is sending a second steering cable thats longer so it should work thanks for all your responses and help especially you SACRIVER I wouldn't of been able to sleep without your spelling help Notworthy.gif

Edited by weazer
thanks for all your responses and help especially you SACRIVER I wouldn't of been able to sleep without your spelling help Notworthy.gif

NP, I'm here to help, and coach through poking fun Yes.gif

Edited by SacRiverRat

yeah me too I'm about 2 hrs from sac so maybe some day we will run into each other and have a beer over going through the dictionary Cheers.gif

just talked to dealer and h said Malibu is sending a second steering cable thats longer so it should work thanks for all your responses and help especially you SACRIVER I wouldn't of been able to sleep without your spelling help Notworthy.gif

Good. I have my 247 at the factory for a similar vibration. In the 8.1L 247 they put too short a steering cable on. The fix, rather than a new cable, was adding a bracket to the RUDDER arm.

So, hopefully the longer steering cable will fix it. The VLX is a great boat and not many on here have had any problems with them, especially handling.

yeah me too I'm about 2 hrs from sac so maybe some day we will run into each other and have a beer over going through the dictionary Cheers.gif

Perhaps you haven't heard about the norcal Memorial Weekend or the WOW gatherings?

Perhaps you haven't heard about the norcal Memorial Weekend or the WOW gatherings?

Do we really have to bring dictionaries to the WOWs ? Dontknow.gif

Do we really have to bring dictionaries to the WOWs ? Dontknow.gif

Have heard about WOW was thinking about trying to make it this year since my wife and I both have that weekend off (dam postal workers) hopefully we can make it my kids really want to go and hell so do I. Thumbup.gif

...especially you SACRIVER I wouldn't of been able to sleep without your spelling help.

Cry.gif Got to live up to my badge. Biggrin.gif

It's "wouldn't have". :Doh: In the positive the contraction would be "would've" short for "would have". And while spoken it sounds like "would of", that combination of words makes absolutely no sense at all. And since you cannot have a double contraction, (except during childbirth :lol: ) because "wouldn't've" would make every English teacher in the country cryout in pain, the correct verbage in this instance would have to be "wouldn't have".

Class dismissed. :lol:

Thanks NorcaliBu I only gaduated from cloverdale high witch is out in the sticks where the gapevines meet the wedwoods so thanks for the help. and now you guys know what kind of people work for the postal service :Doh:Crazy.gif

Edited by weazer