Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacing Carpet

Woodski

Has anybody have any experience replacing the floor carpet on a Malibu Echelon / Response / Sportster? If yes, please let me know where you bought the carpet and any tips on the job. Also, how long did it take. Thanks.

Not in a Bu but 2 other boats yes. Measure twice cut once. Getting old carpet and adhesive up is the worst part.

Easier to buy a new boat.......

I would like to do it, but I think I'm going to get a carpet saver instead. I know that I will be more covering the problem, but it will be WAY cheaper. The carpet saver is $450 according to the dealer. Is this comparable to what others have found?

Actually when I looked at the carpet link that was attached on my other thread, the cost to do the floor is $300 w/ shipping for a 7.5' x 20' section of carpet, need to add the glue and labor (DIY). That was a 20oz. carpet, source is Corinthian Carpets.

Actually when I looked at the carpet link that was attached on my other thread, the cost to do the floor is $300 w/ shipping for a 7.5' x 20' section of carpet, need to add the glue and labor (DIY). That was a 20oz. carpet, source is Corinthian Carpets.

That's not bad at all for the carpet. I wonder how much the labor would cost. Anyone have any idea how long this would take? I'm sure that a professional could do it in about 8 hours. Let's say that they charge $50/hour for labor. That's about $700 total. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

I just ordered a carpet saver. I'm just going to cover the melted section for now. Maybe I'll replace my carpet myself over next winter.

I just ordered a carpet saver. I'm just going to cover the melted section for now. Maybe I'll replace my carpet myself over next winter.

where did you get your carpet saver from? Is it being custom made? i thought Malibu stopped making them for the RLX and Sunsetter LXI's (that's what i was told) Curious if they have one for my 98RLX

I guess I don't know. My dealer (Skiers Pier in Michigan) said that he can still order one for my boat. He said it usually takes a couple of weeks. I'll ask him where he is getting it from. He needed my hull number to get the exact dimensions of the boat.

Haven't replaced the carpet in a malibu, but have replaced carpet in two different direct drive nautiques. The key is to use the old carpet as a pattern for the new. This was especially beneficial for cutting the hole around the pylon. The carpet on said nautiques was old and heavily used. When I removed the old carpet, the backing had a tendency to stay stuck to the glue in some areas where I guess the glue just had a better grip. I used a paint scraper and rigid spackling tool to scrape off what I could. I'm not so sure it's necessary to have get every little piece of that rubbery backing off although that would be ideal. I did all I could do with the scraper and then vacummed and wiped down the floor and sides. I then layed down just enough glue that I could comfortably get the carpet down on before it cured too much.

If possible, lay down something heavy on the carpet while it dries. I.e. cinder blocks if you got em.

That was my method.

malibusteve

Haven't replaced the carpet in a malibu, but have replaced carpet in two different direct drive nautiques. The key is to use the old carpet as a pattern for the new. This was especially beneficial for cutting the hole around the pylon. The carpet on said nautiques was old and heavily used. When I removed the old carpet, the backing had a tendency to stay stuck to the glue in some areas where I guess the glue just had a better grip. I used a paint scraper and rigid spackling tool to scrape off what I could. I'm not so sure it's necessary to have get every little piece of that rubbery backing off although that would be ideal. I did all I could do with the scraper and then vacummed and wiped down the floor and sides. I then layed down just enough glue that I could comfortably get the carpet down on before it cured too much.

If possible, lay down something heavy on the carpet while it dries. I.e. cinder blocks if you got em.

That was my method.

malibusteve

That doesn't sound so bad, just time consuming. I think I'm gonna kick the garage furnace on next winter and do this job myself. I would really like to use the newer type carpet that Malibu uses, but it wouldn't match the stuff in the storage areas.