Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Folsom low water pics

SacRiverRat

Very interesting! Are any of the buildings left in the main part of the city? Could be a very interesting dive and at only 90' right now.

Are there any predictions for this year on how the snow pack will effect the level this summer? Asked in an easier way, how much is the lake expected to rise this year?

-Dave

Keep in mind the contours outside of the river channel are very shallow. 30’ of water makes that lake look more pathetic than it already is. While this winter the water was low but by no means was it the worst, when we were out there in January the depth finder still hit 150’. We used to bike around the ruins of the old city back in the early 90’s when it was far lower than it was this year. It was about 70,000 acre feet less back then. The ramps were all high and dry while this year they were open all year and had plenty of water. I’ve looked at many of those pictures before and it’s always cool to see what was there before. I remember on year that a boat was heading up the south fork and hit the old Salmon Falls Bridge, ouch!

Are there any predictions for this year on how the snow pack will effect the level this summer? Asked in an easier way, how much is the lake expected to rise this year?

-Dave

Folsom Lake sits at 44% of capacity (or 71% of average for this time of year) and the Sierra snow pack was 92% of average for this time of year (or 91% of average for the season).

Comments from the Department of Water Resources California

As of March 1, Water Year 2008 statewide hydrologic conditions were as follows: precipitation, 100% of average to date; runoff, 60% of average to date; and reservoir storage, 85% of average for the date. As of March 18, the date of the last forecast, the projected median April-July runoff for the water supply basins ranged from 105% (Kaweah River) to 87% (Shasta Lake). The forecast is down for all basins since the March 1, Bulletin 120 forecast. The current unimpaired runoff rates in all major Sierra basins are well below the normal March averages due to lack of precipitation and little snowmelt. The Water Year 2007 October through February, Northern Sierra 8-Station Index, seasonal total of 31.5" is the 43rd driest year out of 89 years of record (or approximately the median). January and early February brought significant amounts of precipitation to California, including heavy snowfall in the mountains. Many locations in Northern and Central California now have near average rainfall. In Southern California, many stations are above average. Snow water content in California is almost twice as much as last year at this time. In fact, in almost all regions of the West, the snowpack is much above average. In the Sierra and the Cascades, the snowpack is even higher in percentage of average at low elevations. The large water supply reservoirs in California received some inflow from these storms; however, the amounts were muted because much of the precipitation fell as snow. Because of the extremely dry conditions last year, the current long-term, dry hydrologic conditions still prevail. Storage in most of the major water supply reservoirs is still below average and it would take a significant increase in the snowpack to fill them. The latest National Weather Service Climate Prediction Center (CPC) long-range weather outlook for April 2008, issued March 20, 2008, is forecasting average precipitation for Northern California and portions of Central California. Below average precipitation is forecast for parts of Central California and all of Southern California.

Very interesting! Are any of the buildings left in the main part of the city? Could be a very interesting dive and at only 90' right now.

I was thinking the same thing, Blade. Too bad I'm a bit far away...

I was thinking the same thing, Blade. Too bad I'm a bit far away...

When it was much lower there isn't more to see than foundations and such.

• 11 months later...
Found these pics while poking around tonight

Thought some might enjoy some of the history Folsom Pics

Nice Troy, I found that page last year, and tried to go out there this year to see if I could see any of the same. I took some pictures of my own. The first set is from Jan 19th. The second set is from last Thursday, on the 19th of March.

Enjoy.

Looking at Beals Point

bealspoint.jpg

Looking North on the lake

lookingnorth.jpg

Looking at Granite Bay ramps

granitebay1.jpg

Folsom Dam

folsomdam.jpg

Taken just below Los Lagos

loslagos.jpg

Then eight weeks later...

lake-march.jpg

This is the road to the lower ramps which are primary entrance during summer.

road2lowerramps.jpg

This is the lower parkring lot, and the main ramps.

lower_ramps.jpg

The Rattlesnake Bar ramp.

rattlesnake_bar1.jpg

Rattlesnake Bar "Marina"... ;)

rattlesnake_bar2.jpg

Looking out across the lake from Rattlesnake Bar

rattlesnake_bar3.jpg

Lookin up the lake towards the 5MPH zone.

to5mphzone.jpg

Let's hope they keep the levels up through most of the summer. I'll probably get my season pass for Rollins again anyway.

-Keith

Nice pics. I just dropped my boat in the water last week. I was pleasantly surprised how high Folsom was being that a month or so ago I hiked around the rim with my kids. Let's just hope they don't drain it too quickly.