Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Who wears waterskis behind a 247?

RedOwl

As you've read over and over again from me - my wife and I want to buy a 247 LSV (sunscape or Wakesetter) as an all around boat.

We're pretty well settled into our decision, but we ran into a Mastercraft dealer last night and he said waterskiing behind the sunscape or wakesetter would be miserable!

He told me that all big v-drives are awful for waterskiing.

I know they aren't a DD and I don't expect them to be comparable, but I was under the impression that they are completely adequate for the amateur skiier.

What do you people with hands on experience think?

P.S. I just became a Crew Supporter, feels good to have my own avatar Thumbup.gif

Brian

I'm not sure about the 247, but I do know for a fact the other sunscapes are pretty darn good skiing boats. I think the MC dealer is blowing smoke up your "you know what".

I've been behind the 21 and 23 and they were pretty solid skiing wakes. Their not a response wake, bu they are far from MISERABLE.

J

As you've read over and over again from me - my wife and I want to buy a 247 LSV (sunscape or Wakesetter) as an all around boat.

We're pretty well settled into our decision, but we ran into a Mastercraft dealer last night and he said waterskiing behind the sunscape or wakesetter would be miserable!

He told me that all big v-drives are awful for waterskiing.

I know they aren't a DD and I don't expect them to be comparable, but I was under the impression that they are completely adequate for the amateur skiier.

What do you people with hands on experience think?

P.S. I just became a Crew Supporter, feels good to have my own avatar Thumbup.gif

Brian

I ski, along with an 8 yr old girl, 10 yr old boy and my wife (all slalom )and we all have no problems. We cam from a std I/O and it was like nite/day. My bud has a 20' MC and it is better, but not that much better, to offset the functionality of the 247LSV. Unless you are running the course every day, you OK. PS. my bud ran the course behind my boat and was pleasantly surprised.

I'm not sure about the 247, but I do know for a fact the other sunscapes are pretty darn good skiing boats. I think the MC dealer is blowing smoke up your "you know what".

I've been behind the 21 and 23 and they were pretty solid skiing wakes. Their not a response wake, bu they are far from MISERABLE.

J

that's what i say also!

I skied another brand V drive and it was very good at short line. So what I want to say is get a good rope with sections and pick your speed you will ski at. now see what length well get you in front of the roster. The table will likely be fairly flat and have at it. Yahoo.gif 247 is a big boat so I hope it works.

That boat is 4000lbs. bone dry with a 100+ inches of beam and a bottom designed to ride considerably better than a 2200lbs. flat-bottom-slalom-tractor in rougher water. It is not designed to be a dedicated ski boat, but it does a lot of other things really well. Test drive it and ski behind it and see if the wake is acceptable for your needs and skill level. And ask the MC guy which comparable 4000lbs+MC skis better and try it out as well. Different boats do different things well--you just have to decide which features are most important to you. And I wouldn't make the decision based on the salesman's take on his own product vs. one he isn't going to make a commission on.

Edited by jjackkrash

What speed do you ski at? I know that on my last boat, a 2000 VLX, the ski wake was not great at slower speeds but improved dramatically once in the 32 to 36 mph range.

I have an 07 Sunscape 21 LSV, and the ski wake behind it is fabulous, especially for a v-drive. The rooster tail flattens out with at least one person in the bow. I can't speak for the 247, but my boat is a crossover machine! Last week I had my cousin out on the boat, and he is a very accomplished wakeboarder, and he was doing all sort of inverts, ralies, etc. We have the rear tanks, belly bag, and power wedge. However, another buddy of mine is a very good amateur skier, and he can run the course in my boat at 15 off at 32-33. I used to have a 93 CC Sport Nautique DD, and the wake behind it was superb. My buddy said that he can't tell much of the difference between the two.

I don't think you'll be at all disappointed with the 247. I cannot sing the praises of the Sunscape Line enough. They truly are versatile boats providing advanced ski, wake, and surf wakes.

Prior to purchasing my VTX with the Cut Diamond Hull, I wanted to ski several V-Drives because I knew I would be giving up some skiing performance from a D-Drive but wanted to make sure the VTX-CD had noticeably better slalom performance than a larger V-Drive or else I would have gone with a 21.5 or 23 ft for the more room. I did not ski the 247 but I did slalom behind an 06 23’ Wakesetter with the Wake hull. Frankly speaking the wake wasn’t that bad. The VTX-CD hull wake was noticeable better for slalom, but I will say that if I leaned more toward boarding or just boating and only slalomed occasionally, I probably would have bought a 23’ Wakesetter and still enjoyed an occasional casual slalom run. I also have to say that the 23’ was like ridding on butter compared to the VTX-CD over rough water. I understand the draw toward bigger boats.

Incidentally, regarding MC, in my opinion their 20’ X-2 slalom wake was closer to the 23 Wakesetter with the Wake Hull than the VTX-CD hull. I’m not sure about other MC V-Drives – no first hand experience.

• 12 years later...

Brining back an oldie. Anyone ski behind a 247? A friend of mine is looking for a nose but his wife still has interest in skiing. Looking at a vtx, vlx and 247 all for about the same price and the 247 has the most features and is the cleanest. Obviously it’s not going to be vtx level but as long as it’s doable.

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Slalom behind a 247?  At what speed?  Or do you mean goofing around on an old set of jumpers (which actually would be kinda fun!)?

It’s not for me but I believe just doing some turns at an intermediate level. 

And yes slalom on a jumper is actually fun, been there. Even went through the course on a paddle board before. 

ahopkins22LSV

If he’s comfortable at 32-34 mph it might be ok. Might have to make a custom line length to either get him in the flattish portion in front of the rooster tail, but before the trough or well enough behind the rooster tail.

We ski behind our 247 all the time.  For kids and beginners, the wake is kind of big because they don’t want to go any faster than about 22. Once put to about 34, the wake is perfectly acceptable for recreational skiing.and hard /fast cuts across the wake.  No it is not a DD, but it is fine for about 98% of all skiers.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, amartin said:

We ski behind our 247 all the time.  For kids and beginners, the wake is kind of big because they don’t want to go any faster than about 22. Once put to about 34, the wake is perfectly acceptable for recreational skiing.and hard /fast cuts across the wake.  No it is not a DD, but it is fine for about 98% of all skiers.

Got any video of those hard, fast cuts across the wake at 34?

I see people trying to aggressively slalom behind the large surf boats at the lake, and it looks painful.  None of the Malibu promo videos I've seen ever show anything more than a great turn but not crossing the wakes.

They did make a 247 direct drive for a while....the 247RX.   We never ski'd my buddy's, but just throwing it out there as another step towards a "do all" machine. 

Edited by hethj7

I slalom ski behind my 247 and it is not to bad.  It is certainly not the 2001 ski nautique I used to ski behind... but it is not bad at all.  You will be fine.  I wouldn’t trade my 247!!