Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater Core leaks

I either have a crack in my heater core or a crack in a hose. Is there a way I can bypass the heater core and plug, cap off, etc. the hoses. I live in Florida and have used the heater once. I'm not sure how the water flows through the core so if I removed the hoses from the core would I have to connect them or just clamp them off? Any advice would be appreciated.

I either have a crack in my heater core or a crack in a hose. Is there a way I can bypass the heater core and plug, cap off, etc. the hoses. I live in Florida and have used the heater once. I'm not sure how the water flows through the core so if I removed the hoses from the core would I have to connect them or just clamp them off? Any advice would be appreciated.

You can just pull the hoses off the core and connect them together. You can not just clamp them off though, as that would not allow the water back to your engine for cooling

If it is installed like the ones I have always had, I would pull the hoses and plug them (or plug where they attached to the engine. There is no need for water to flow through the hoses. Although, connecting them together will not hurt either.

/Steve

You can not just clamp them off though, as that would not allow the water back to your engine for cooling

This is not true. The water flowing off the engine and through the heater core is purely auxiliary. In fact, I have a shutoff valve in my supply side hose in case my heater core begins to leak. I've actually found it to be a nice feature in the summer time when I'd like to have some airflow under the dash but don't want hot air blowing on me. Works like a charm!

I've actually found it to be a nice feature in the summer time when I'd like to have some airflow under the dash but don't want hot air blowing on me. Works like a charm!

GROSS!!! :unsure: J/K

You can not just clamp them off though, as that would not allow the water back to your engine for cooling

This is not true. The water flowing off the engine and through the heater core is purely auxiliary. In fact, I have a shutoff valve in my supply side hose in case my heater core begins to leak. I've actually found it to be a nice feature in the summer time when I'd like to have some airflow under the dash but don't want hot air blowing on me. Works like a charm!

OK, OK, I take that comment back. You are right. The H2O that heads to the core is auxilary. I should've thought of that one.

I've actually found it to be a nice feature in the summer time when I'd like to have some airflow under the dash but don't want hot air blowing on me. Works like a charm!

GROSS!!! :unsure: J/K

:lol: