Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Proping a 2003 Sunscape 21 LSV

nemalibu

I purchased my 03 21 LSV last fall and have only used it once (when I tested it just before purchase).

The prop it came with is a 4 blade 13.5 x 17.5. When I was testing the boat I noticed that the top end was about 45 and the rev limiter appeared to cut in at about 4400 RPM. The engine is a 335 HP Monsoon.

Does anyone know what the factory prop likely was?

Does anyone know if the current prop is a reasonable choice? (We both Ski and Wakeboard and we have small children just starting to ski.)

Is this setting for the rev limiter normal (it seemed a bit low to me)?

Any information would be appreciated.

45 is about right for that boat. If the 4400 was on a perfectpass tach, or heck even a regular tach you can't really trust it too much.

-Chris

45 is about what we get. I forget the prop dimensions, but we re-propped to the 537 last year, and noticed quite a bit better hole shot. We didn't notice too much off of the top end. We don't barefoot, so top-end isn't really important to us. As long as we break 40 we're happy. And we rarely even go that fast.

45 is about right for that boat. If the 4400 was on a perfectpass tach, or heck even a regular tach you can't really trust it too much.

-Chris

Is there a good way for me to get an accurate tach reading?

MalibuNation
Can anyone tell me the specs on the 537?

I'm on the run right now ... and not sure it that's an Acme or OJ prop ... but you could check their websites. Google them.

I purchased my 03 21 LSV last fall and have only used it once (when I tested it just before purchase).

The prop it came with is a 4 blade 13.5 x 17.5. When I was testing the boat I noticed that the top end was about 45 and the rev limiter appeared to cut in at about 4400 RPM. The engine is a 335 HP Monsoon.

Does anyone know what the factory prop likely was?

Does anyone know if the current prop is a reasonable choice? (We both Ski and Wakeboard and we have small children just starting to ski.)

Is this setting for the rev limiter normal (it seemed a bit low to me)?

Any information would be appreciated.

Your engine should be able to turn 4900 RPM's at WOT, if you can't something is wrong. It could be as simple as a fuel filter or a tune service (timing is off)

Can anyone tell me the specs on the 537?

Here are the specs on the 537 prop http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=279

13.5x17.5 is the stock prop. However, you shouldn't be hitting a rev limiter already at 4400 RPM. Check your fuel delivery (pump, filter, injector state, gas quality). Also, pull the distributor and check your points. You shouldn't hit the limiter with that prop.

Edited by UWSkier

-Chris

Shop tach or a Rinder tool hooked up to the ECM.

Or just going out with someone who can tell you when a monsoon is spinning full revs.

If the boat is really going 45 you probably don't have any problems besides an innaccurate tach.

Does your boat have the perfectpass gague with the analog tach?

-Chris

Shop tach or a Rinder tool hooked up to the ECM.

Or just going out with someone who can tell you when a monsoon is spinning full revs.

If the boat is really going 45 you probably don't have any problems besides an innaccurate tach.

Does your boat have the perfectpass gague with the analog tach?

My boat has PerfectPass but no factory Tach (unfortunately the previous owner had PP installed in the place of the tach). The PP version I have only has the digital tach. I was thinking about trying to install an analog tach somewhere in the cockpit but it is not clear where this could fit.

I have a hard time believing you’re hitting the rev limiter at 4400 rpms. How do you know your hitting the Rev limiter? I'm thinking that what your trying to say is at WOT my rpm is 4400rpm at 45mph.

With out knowing if your boat is running right I'm going to hold back at what prop you should be running.

Part #:acme381 Acme - Dia: 13 1/2, Cup: .105

Pitch: 17 1/2 Blades: 4 Shaft: 1 1/8 Rotation: LH

Part #:acme537 Acme - Dia: 13 1/2, Cup: .105

Pitch: 16 Blades: 4 Shaft: 1 1/8 Rotation: LH

If the boat is running right and your only going to use it for the kids and skiing then I would go with the 537 and stay away from the wakeboard props like the 1235 acme and 475 OJ.

The Crew is holding a Prop group buy for all supporting members.

I'll include a link here to a post I did a while back. Your boat is essentially the same as mine....same hull with Monsoon. Although you have a few more hp than mine with the newer Monsoon so you should be able to get a few more rpm. The data is pretty accurate. Speeds were via gps. RPM was from a quick glance at the tach. Not 100% accurate but definitely in the ballpark. Your boat came stock with the acme 381, just like mine. I repitched to the 537 for more pull out of the hole.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....showtopic=10877

I guess looking at your numbers, the speed looks alright, but your rpm should have been higher than 4400. You should not have been hitting the rev limiter at that engine speed. I believe its up around 5000 or slightly over, I can't remember exact. But I know I didn't hit it at 4850.

I'll also note that I believe my boat was running about 44 when I first got it. Then once I started adding gear to the boat (tower, wedge, stereo gear, boards up in racks, etc), it seemed to slow down with the extra weight/drag. So I was only hitting 43 when I started this whole experiment with a 381 prop in good shape. Anyway, hope this helps some. I'd give the 537 prop a look. More out of the hole without much loss on top.

Edited by vette-ski