Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LearnWake.com

chathamsolutions

email from LearnWake.com:

LearnWake.com Free Public BETA is now open (until April 1st)!

Clermont, FL - The production team that created the best-selling DVD instructional series "The Book" has just released their new project to the public - LearnWake.com. WakeBoarding Magazine's instructional editor, Kyle Schmidt, has once again teamed up with Mike McLin to bring the next revolution in wake instruction. Through their new website, the LearnWake.com team will bring interactive instruction through the use of videos, an online instructional library, bulletin boards and chat rooms.

The free public BETA period is a test period where all of the last minute kinks are worked out to get the website ready for its official April 1st launch. On April 1st, LearnWake will become a premium subscription-based website with a monthly fee. The free public BETA is open to everyone, and users can cancel at anytime.

Check out LearnWake.com...

-The LearnWake.com team

$10/month for "Online Instruction"... :unsure: ...over $100 year for...

Dontknow.gif OK. Whatever.

It'll be interesting to watch and see how they do. The whole "credit card required for 'free' beta" is kinda sketchy to me. Newspapers try to get you that way..."Receive The Herald free for four weeks and if not completely satisfied just write CANCEL on the invoice" you will eventually receive (weeks after the free period is over).

Well I better go put my flame suit on now. Glad to be a slalom skier... :lol:

Edited by NorCaliBu

I think the way I would use it, sign up for a month - get the stuff I want, and then cancel.

I can't see people signing up and paying for it for a full year.

I think the way I would use it, sign up for a month - get the stuff I want, and then cancel.

I can't see people signing up and paying for it for a full year.

You can use it for free until April 1, but in order to sign up now you need to enter a credit card and then if you don't remember to cancel, you start getting charged.

I think I will pass.

• 2 weeks later...

This is Mike McLin, one of the creators of LearnWake... This is one of the forums I browse to every once in a while... Anyways, let me address some of the concerns that I see here...

First off, we are out of BETA now, so the site is up and running in normal day-to-day operation now. As far as trying to get people to join the free BETA in hopes that they would forget and accidentally stay on as a member...c'mon! What that'd work for a month or two? Maybe we'd make an extra $100 or something? We've built this website to become the future of wakeboard instruction. We released The Book Instructional DVD Series in 2004. Since then, we've been the top selling DVD in the industry EVERY year. We've realized that instructional DVDs aren't the future, and the future is the web, because it is an interactive experience. So, instead of releasing another DVD, we've moved on to this project. I seriously doubt that we'd move from such a successful DVD business model to a "lets try to scam people into making a quick buck" program.

We had the Free Public BETA period because we had to test out the site. Testing out the site includes testing out the payment system. If you signed up for the BETA, you would have seen a countdown to how many days are left of the BETA period each time you logged on. The day before the free BETA ended we sent out a mass email to all of our members reminding them to cancel their accounts if they didn't want to stay on board, and even provided them a link to a "How to cancel" instructions page. People don't realize, but we actually made it free for a few extra days in case people were late in canceling. At the end of the day, what I am trying to say is we are trying to do the right thing. We want to get started on the right foot. If our main strategy is to get people on a free trial and hope they forget about it, then our website isn't good enough, and we will fail. Fortunately that isn't the case, and that isn't our goal.

Another concern... Why would someone join for over a month? Several reasons... The first is, there is new content coming out all of the time. Every week we are releasing new videos, library pages, etc. Also, much like TheMalibuCrew.com, it is an interactive experience. We have a bulletin board were people can ask questions, and get answers not just from other members, but from professional coaches. Many people think that being able to ask WakeBoarding Magazine's Instructional Editor, Kyle Schmidt, a question directly is pretty valuable. We also have other perks for our members like scheduled Live Chats with Wakeboarding Pro Riders.

We basically looked at it like this. There are many people that pay over $1000/week for a camp. We've had tons of people buy The Book DVD Series at $100 for 8.5 hours of content. We feel that $9.99/month ($99.99/year) for an instructional website is pretty reasonable. Maybe we are wrong. Has anyone on here actually tried the site yet?

I know you guys are just looking out for each other, and you aren't trying to bash LearnWake... And I'm definitely not hear to try to bash you guys. I'm just trying to explain to you guys what we are doing. I hope one day you do try out the website, and I hope one day you report right back to this forum thread and tell everyone how much you liked it :)

Edited by Mike McLin

Thanks for chiming in Mike. Glad to hear businesses are pushing the envelope in our industry.

We wish you the best and look forward to feedback right here.

TheMalibuCrew Team

These are the guys you want teaching you. I've had Kyle up for clinics at my store the past few years. There is noboby better qualified.

I'm signing myself up

These are the guys you want teaching you. I've had Kyle up for clinics at my store the past few years. There is noboby better qualified.

I'm signing myself up

I'll make the drive over again (and prob bring some friends) if you're doing it again this year.

Certainly a different concept. I have to admit when I first read this post, I thought that it seemed a little wacky. After reading Mike's post, it made more sense to me. The concept may or may not work but after thinking it over with more information, I think it has potential. I say, best of luck to them and bravo for thinking outside of the box!

I am not into wakeboarding, but would be interested in wakesurfing instructions. I would certainly pay 10 bones a month to have interactive instruction at my fingertips.

• 2 months later...