Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dual Battery

jesutton3

I'm in the process of adding dual batteries to the boat and saw this product the other day:

http://www.shoplocal.com/lid-2093652089pri...l-sense-vsr-.fp

Has anyone used it? It looks like you get the advantages of a perko switch with advantages of an isolator. Is this correct or am I looking at it wrong? Wonder how well it works and how well it will hold up?

There are also several other options from this company listed here.

http://www.novamarine.co.il/images/products/BEP_bat.pdf

I'm in the process of adding dual batteries to the boat and saw this product the other day:

Has anyone used it? It looks like you get the advantages of a perko switch with advantages of an isolator. Is this correct or am I looking at it wrong? Wonder how well it works and how well it will hold up?

that is a great product. i have them on our toterhome, buckhoes, snokel lift, and boat.

If this is the route you want to go I'd go with this product instead.

http://bluesea.com/category/1/productline/overview/329

I just bought a hellroaring isolator\combiner for my new system. It should arrive late this week. It was more expensive than some of the other electro mechanical ones mentioned above, but I chose it over those because:

1. It can be set up to be totally automatic - no switching to remember or think about. Depending on what you want it to do, you can literally hook the whole thing up and never have to worry about switching between batteries, or having a dead battery. It combines the batteries while charging and separates them while not - or you can set it up with a little low voltage toggle switch by the dash so you can select which battery to run off while while the engine is not running.

2. there are no mechanical parts - the whole thing is solid state, and is very well constructed, made here in the US. This means it should last longer, there is no chance for the internal components and contacts to corrode, and more importantly there is much less of a voltage drop and current draw.

There has been some talk about them here, search 'hellroaring' should turn up some stuff

there website is: www.hellroaring.com There is alot of info there and it is kinda confusing (i went on overload when i first saw it and gave up, and I am fairly electrically inclined...) but give them a call - they will tell you exactly what you need to do what ever you want and how to hook it up. My experience with them has been very good so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to got with something like this in my Bu' too. Did you get the Hellroaring kit yet? I'm curious to know how it works. Also, has anyone tried the "Add a Battery" system from Blue Sea?

I have the Hellroaring isolator with dual Optima's in my Sunsetter LXi and it is an outstanding product. No switche is needed and you can use it in many different configurations. I had great email support from them as I designed and installed my setup.

Tom

I have the Hellroaring isolator with dual Optima's in my Sunsetter LXi and it is an outstanding product. No switche is needed and you can use it in many different configurations. I had great email support from them as I designed and installed my setup.

Tom

That is exactly what I'm looking to do in the exact same boat. Crazy! Do you have any pics of the finished product? I bought a non Optima battery the other day, but then I learned that I can get Optima batteries for $55 each through my father in law's work. I'm doing 2 blue top. Should I do both deep cycle? They are the same price.

Tom

That is exactly what I'm looking to do in the exact same boat. Crazy! Do you have any pics of the finished product? I bought a non Optima battery the other day, but then I learned that I can get Optima batteries for $55 each through my father in law's work. I'm doing 2 blue top. Should I do both deep cycle? They are the same price.

Dude you have all the hookups!!!! Guns.gif

<a href="http://www.shoplocal.com/lid-2093652089pri...l-sense-vsr-.fp" target="_blank">http://www.shoplocal.com/lid-2093652089pri...l-sense-vsr-.fp</a>

<a href="http://www.novamarine.co.il/images/products/BEP_bat.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.novamarine.co.il/images/products/BEP_bat.pdf</a>

If this is the route you want to go I'd go with this product instead.

http://bluesea.com/category/1/productline/overview/329

i agree with 06vlx

Go blue seas automatic charging relay & switch or install a perko switch, can't go wrong either way

Isn't this the same type of system that is an option on newer Bu's? My 2007 VLX has a Voltage sensitive relay hooked up from the factory for dual batteries purposes.

How hard is it to add one of these charging relays if I already have two batteries with a perko switch?

Really easy. It has two terminals on it, side A and side B. You run side A to the #2 terminal on your Perko switch (or #1 would work to as long as the reserve battery is on one of them and the house is on the opposite side). You run a battery cable from the positive of the reserve battery to side A of the Relay and then you run side B to the positive of the house battery. It sounds like you are hooking them together but you're not, the relay is separating them and charging the reserve battery when it needs to, it won't let the battery drain back the other direction. You will need to keep your perko on #1 the whole time (if your reserve battery is on #2) and then if you drain your battery dead you will switch the perko to the #2 position for your reserve battery.

You basically never have to switch your perko ever again, unless you drain your house battery down so far it won't start the boat.

Edited by 06vlx
Isn't this the same type of system that is an option on newer Bu's? My 2007 VLX has a Voltage sensitive relay hooked up from the factory for dual batteries purposes.

The factory doens't install these, you must have a perko switch.

How hard is it to add one of these charging relays if I already have two batteries with a perko switch?

Really easy. It has two terminals on it, side A and side B. You run side A to the #2 terminal on your Perko switch (or #1 would work to as long as the reserve battery is on one of them and the house is on the opposite side). You run a battery cable from the positive of the reserve battery to side A of the Relay and then you run side B to the positive of the house battery. It sounds like you are hooking them together but you're not, the relay is separating them and charging the reserve battery when it needs to, it won't let the battery drain back the other direction. You will need to keep your perko on #1 the whole time (if your reserve battery is on #2) and then if you drain your battery dead you will switch the perko to the #2 position for your reserve battery.

You basically never have to switch your perko ever again, unless you drain your house battery down so far it won't start the boat.

Very interesting. 2 questions:

1.) In this setup, if I understand correctly, you don't have any load direct wired to the "reserve" bettery, the ACR keeps it topped off and you only switch over to combine if you need the extra juice? I looked over the diagram on bluesea.com and seems that's how they did it.

2.) I have a perko already but their tech support said the switch that came with their kit (5511e) is better than the perko but I'm not seeing how. I assume I should just have to get the relay (7610si) versus the kit with the switch.

Thanks!

Tom

I used to have them in my gallery, but all my pics apparently have been cleaned out as I haven't been very active lately. I'll have to do some searching, but I think I even have a schematic somewhere. Unfortunately the bu's still in storage at the moment but I'll get it out in a few weeks. I use two blue top Optima's (I believe D34M's) that are deep cycle. Initially, I just bought the Blue Top for a starting battery and used my existing standard battery for accessories. I have three power amps and two teen daughters so I wanted to be sure ;-) Wow - $55 is a steal for an Optima!

Very interesting. 2 questions:

1.) In this setup, if I understand correctly, you don't have any load direct wired to the "reserve" bettery, the ACR keeps it topped off and you only switch over to combine if you need the extra juice? I looked over the diagram on bluesea.com and seems that's how they did it.

2.) I have a perko already but their tech support said the switch that came with their kit (5511e) is better than the perko but I'm not seeing how. I assume I should just have to get the relay (7610si) versus the kit with the switch.

Thanks!

Correct, their switch is basically the same thing as a perko accept I dont' think it has an all it's only a two position. Basically an All and an off. If I understood them correctly their switch actually combines the batteries, well if you have several batteries like I do (4 house and 1 reserve) if the 4 go dead and they get combined with the reserve that might not be a good thing. I'd rather have the option of switching over to the reserve battery and not combining so that the batteries won't equalize themselves. For this reason I chose to stay with the Perko over their switch. They say it's better on the phone but he couldn't tell me why, I finally got him to admit that the perko would work fine and do the same thing as I described. They just want you to buy their product. I think the automatic charging relay is going to be really nice to have.

Tom

Dude you have all the hookups!!!! Guns.gif

Yeah, I don't know how I'm coming up with all this stuff. I just keep coming across more of these insane deals.

I must admit, I'm a bit confused. So, it sounds like the best setup is the perko switch with the Blue Seas ACR. I want to run my ignition through the main battery and the stereo and lights all through the second battery. Is this second battery what you are referring to as the reserve?

That's basically the same thing as the Blue Sea "Add a Battery" system, just a different company. Skiers choice puts those on some of their boats at the factory.

I must admit, I'm a bit confused. So, it sounds like the best setup is the perko switch with the Blue Seas ACR. I want to run my ignition through the main battery and the stereo and lights all through the second battery. Is this second battery what you are referring to as the reserve?

No you want you ignition running through the common on the perko. That way you can actually start the boat with whatever battery you want. The second battery is the reserve for emergency starting situations. The best setup for me is the perko option, for someone else it might be different. I like the perko for a few reasons.

1. I already had it.

2. I can select the battery I want to start the boat.

3. I don't have the worry about the fully charged reserve battery equalizing across the 4 dead batteries and potientially not being able to start the boat.

I just ordered the Blue Seas ACR. Found a great price at <a href="http://www.jackrabbitmarine.com/Detail.bok?no=3137" target="_blank">http://www.jackrabbitmarine.com/Detail.bok?no=3137</a>

I'm going to pair it up with my Perko switch that I haven't installed yet.

What do you think is the best scenario?

2 Starter batteries or 1 deep an 1 starter.

Thanks

Jim

Both deep cycle marine batteries.

You don't NEED a "starting" battery on your boat, a deep cycle will work fine for starting and probable last longer with the long storage times your boat will see.

I've had a deep cycle yellow top in my truck and a deep blue top in the boat for a 3-4 years now.