Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

flooding when hot

It could be that the float level is too high, the needle and seat is worn or the float is saturated (or has a hole) and is heavier than it should be. If your carb is a Holley, you can adjust the float level from the exterior of the carb.

My 85 Malibu Skier floods when idling around after it gets hot. Any ideas? Checked the choke, appears to be working fine.

Your floats may be sticking. Gently tap the carb with a screw driver handle when this problem occurs, if it temporarily goes away your fix is easy.

Sure it's not vapor lock?

What are exactly are the symptoms of vapor lock? The ones I've heard of were caused by ill placed fuel lines but my boat has all factory fuel lines.

Vapor lock is a problem that mostly affects gasoline-fuelled internal combustion engines. It occurs when the liquid fuel changes state from liquid to gas while still in the fuel delivery system. This disrupts the operation of the fuel pump, causing loss of feed pressure to the carburetor or fuel injection system, resulting in transient loss of power or complete stalling. Restarting the engine from this state may be difficult. The fuel can vaporise due to being heated by the engine, by the local climate or due to a lower boiling point at high altitude. In regions where higher volatility fuels are used during the winter to improve the starting of the engine, the use of "winter" fuels during the summer can cause vapor lock to occur more readily.

One more that I found.

Vapor Lock And Difficulty Restarting A Hot Engine

"Vapor lock" is loss of power or engine shutdown due to gasoline vaporization in the fuel system. Vaporization prevents the fuel pump from delivering sufficient gasoline to the engine. Factors favoring vapor lock are high ambient temperatures which accompany high power output. Sometimes vaporization occurs after the engine has been intentionally stopped because of the cessation of mechanical cooling and fuel flow. In this case, the hot engine will be difficult to start.

Vapor lock and hot restarting have been reoccurring problems for engine manufacturers. Some manufacturers are concerned that oxygenated gasoline will aggravate these problems because adding either ethanol or MTBE to gasoline increases volatility.

The volatility of gasoline sold in each area of the country is tailored for the expected ambient temperature range. Buying smaller amounts of gasoline more frequently make it more likely you will have a gasoline of the correct volatility.

Your owner's manual may suggest additional ways to avoid vapor lock. Remember that some situations lead to vapor lock more often than others. One is running an engine at full power for an extended time on an unseasonably warm day. If vapor lock does occur, it will probably be necessary to allow the engine to cool before it can be restarted.

Sure it's not vapor lock?

What are exactly are the symptoms of vapor lock? The ones I've heard of were caused by ill placed fuel lines but my boat has all factory fuel lines.

D-Goose's info was spot on. I don't know if it could cause your engine to stall, but it mostly manifests itself if the engine doesn't start after having just run it.