Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hull scum

Just bought my first Malibu response 1998 and will be keeping it at my private lake in Ontario, however, it stays in the water all season. The lake has a lot of algae that will stick to the hull. How am I going to keep this thing clean? In the past at the end of the season, I'll get an acid wash from a marina, but I'm worried the hull will become stained.

Should I invest in a lift? take it out after each weekend/every few weeks? The property is in a remote location (no hydro, water, no generator) and the road in is very rough so trailering it to from home is not an option.

Ideas would be appreciated.

Just bought my first Malibu response 1998 and will be keeping it at my private lake in Ontario, however, it stays in the water all season. The lake has a lot of algae that will stick to the hull. How am I going to keep this thing clean? In the past at the end of the season, I'll get an acid wash from a marina, but I'm worried the hull will become stained.

Should I invest in a lift? take it out after each weekend/every few weeks? The property is in a remote location (no hydro, water, no generator) and the road in is very rough so trailering it to from home is not an option.

I'd go for a boat lift for sure. Otherwise if you can pull it out and leave it at the lake on the trailer. I think that there are special treatments (like waxing) made for hulls (besides bottom paint used in salt-water) to help keep hulls from staining also. Maybe some google action in order there.

I second the lift. Some people have trouble with gelcoat blisters when they leave the boat in the water all season. If you do leave it in the water, I would pull it out every two weeks or so for a good cleaning and dry out.

Get a lift!

Do a search on Tony's Topical Toilet Tonic for the cleaning solution of choice around here. 50% Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner (the blue gel) / 50% Hydrogen Peroxide.

Mike

I would invest in a lift or like someone else suggested leave the trailer there and pull the boat out onto the trailer every couple of weeks for a good cleaning.

I second the lift. Some people have trouble with gelcoat blisters when they leave the boat in the water all season. If you do leave it in the water, I would pull it out every two weeks or so for a good cleaning and dry out.

I guess I could be wrong here but I think you will not have to worry about gel coat blisters if you are in a fresh water lake in ON. I think osmosis (gel coat blisters) only occur when fiberglass / gel coat is left in a salt water environment.

Sorry I am not trying to bash BlastRlxi's post or anything and as stated I might stand to be corrected on this point.

I guess I could be wrong here but I think you will not have to worry about gel coat blisters if you are in a fresh water lake in ON. I think osmosis (gel coat blisters) only occur when fiberglass / gel coat is left in a salt water environment.

Sorry I am not trying to bash BlastRlxi's post or anything and as stated I might stand to be corrected on this point.

Nope - you can definitely get blisters in fresh water as well.

Mike

...you can definitely get blisters in fresh water as well.

Yes.gif Invest in a lift. Yes.gif A blistered hull will kill the resale value of your boat.