Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake Surfing & Inboards????

Willy

I sold my VTX, I was going to get a new VTX this year and well the economy has put a little damper on that. So, I may actually have an opportunity to get my 97' Echelon back (still mint) or I was even thinking maybe a nice used I ride. I am totally hooked on surfing now and I was wondering if it was very easy to surf behind a dd with maybe one of those "seat sacs" you see in the back and a manual wedge. Has anybody been successful at that?

If not, I can push the $ envelope and still get the VTX.

Here is a picture of my old Echelon.

post-1537-1206292101_thumb.jpg

Edited by Willy
I sold my VTX, I was going to get a new VTX this year and well the economy has put a little damper on that. So, I may actually have an opportunity to get my 97' Echelon back (still mint) or I was even thinking maybe a nice used I ride. I am totally hooked on surfing now and I was wondering if it was very easy to surf behind a dd with maybe one of those "seat sacs" you see in the back and a manual wedge. Has anybody been successful at that?

If not, I can push the $ envelope and still get the VTX.

Here is a picture of my old Echelon.

you had a great looking VTX willy, as for surfing behind an Echelon... I am not sure, i think with the right prop, a man. wedge and some sacs it would be very possible. I knew someone with a 93 Echelon with a tower, and wedge, he rigged some fat sacs with pump controls right on the dash below where the radio sits. used switches he got from the guys at malibu that matched the dash switches exactly. never rode in his boat but he said it threw just as good a wake as a high end V-drive (in his opinion)

As for my echelon, i am happy to have a nice ski wake as i have not gotten into the board sports yet.

i learned how to surf behind a 94 echelon.. it is very do-able. You have to stay pretty close to the back swim deck to be able to free ride... close as in 2-4 feet.

We had a fat-seat in the rear then 4-5 big dudes piled on one side. Stock prop, no wedge.

I have an 08 lsv now and its not even comparable.. but.. it is possible behind the older slalom boats

I've posted my sunsetter set up multiple times, been surfing it for 2 years now. I run two fat sack twins (440lb a piece) in the rear, a 350lb locker ballast along the side, wedge down and about 300lb of lead. With a driver and spotter I can surf it all day.

I have 3 people in the boat here:

drunksurf.jpg

Edited by Souperfly
I've posted my sunsetter set up multiple times, been surfing it for 2 years now. I run two fat sack twins (440lb a piece) in the rear, a 350lb locker ballast along the side, wedge down and about 300lb of lead. With a driver and spotter I can surf it all day.

drunksurf.jpg

Man that is a very nice pic...you should buy the photographer a beer, cuz that picture has all the right exposure and color and all of that. Makes me want to be there.

Man that is a very nice pic...you should buy the photographer a beer, cuz that picture has all the right exposure and color and all of that. Makes me want to be there.

Definitely didn't think that's how you were going to end that sentance. "all the right..." <insert: Boat, water, surfer, beer, lady-friend> was what I was expecting. But the exposure is nice too. :unsure:

I've got a '98 echelon with a wedge. I have surfed behind it with a couple people in rear seat, two 300 lbs saddle bags, and wedge down. The only thing is that you ride will last about 20 seconds before you start to fade back and need the rope tossed to you to get back in the bowl.

I just bought the rear seat sac (500lbs.) and the bow sac (500-1000lbs...they claim). I'll be trying them out this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.