Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Getting Boat on Trailer

SC Fam

The most important thing is to teach your wife how to do it as well. Most women do not like to back the tow vehicle down the ramp, which is understandable, but they certainly need to learn to drive the boat on/off the trailer. This makes the process so simple and should take less then 30 seconds.

To learn what NOT to do, simply to go a popular boat ramp the first few nice Saturdays of the season. Pull up a lawnchair and observe for about 3 years. You will learn real quick what does not work so well.

For a beginner, I highly recommend going in the middle of the week when the ramp is quiet. This will give you a stress free experience until you become comfortable with the situation. The process is very very simple, but can be extremely stressful for those people who make it more difficult then it really is.

wow 3 years I hope a person would learn how to drive their boat on and off before then. Biggrin.gif

Edited by txwakejunkie

Teamwork... I'll stress that one again. Teach your wife & friends how to help out.

Teach your wife how to back the trailer up. Take her to an empty parking lot & practice for a while. Use both your side mirrors & place your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. It's a blast when she can do it better than any of the guys on the ramp!

And in my wife's case, she loves to help out, especially when she can show up the boy's club.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Ah - yea, assuming your wife waaants to learn. Having a pleasnt time out on the water after launching is also desired, and forcing someone to be in charge of something they don't want, isn't a great plan either.

The best thing to have ready at the ramp is your patience Yes.gif

Silicone spray??? What brand / where do you get it?

Fingerwag.gif This is the first time i have heard this and i have been boating for many,many years. Thanks i will follow up with this. Man i am old.........but Old Guys Rule!

I agree w/ all that is said here Yes.gif However, I have to say that different circumstances warrant different ways of loading and unloading. I can agree that watching people on the ramp can give you a very good idea of what not to do Ranting.gif My wife and I have gotten the loading and unloading of our Bu down to less than 1 minute for each, and yes, she does make numerous men look foolish every time we are at the ramp ;)

We did the same, after a few months of me doing everything, the wife took change and learned how to back the truck up and now makes fools of many a men on the ramp... In their defence they may be doing it once a month where she does it 3 to 4 times a week. With a boat buddy in place loading an unloading is about 1 minute... biggest problems we encounter now is me missing the trailer in heavier currents or fogetting to preload the boat buddy :).

More wives should learn how to back the truck up or load the boat. It ain't that hard.

John

Edited by jphillips
Thank you to all!! Now I'm feeling a lot better about it all....nice.

Thanks.

One other thing not so much related to technique, but more free advice - It depends on your comfort level whether you leave your vehicle on or off while you're out hooking/unhooking the boat, but one thing I always do is leave the driver's side window rolled down all the way. Also, I've never locked my keys in the car on the ramp for obvious reasons, despite how hard I try to do that. :Doh:

I've been power loading & unloading boat for years without any issues. Recently local laws have been put in place that forbid power loading & unloading on some ramps. Others don't have issues.

Also, different ramps are different degrees of steepness.

And then my own property is not a ramp, but really just a sandy beach that we launch from.

Because of all these variables, my process tends to change to fit the situation. If it's not very steep, I'll unhook early & back in till the boat is floating. If I have a friend in the boat & know the ramp, I'll back in & hit the brakes so it pushes the boat off the trailer. If it's a steep ramp or I'm not 100% familiar with it, I leave the boat hooked up till I'm at the water's edge, then unhook & back the rest of the way in. Then we'll back the boat out of everyone's way so the ramp is clear, returning only to pick up the truck driver.

Loading is much the same. Back in till the fenders are at the water's surface, then power on to the trailer. If the local ramp doesn't allow power loading, then we'll winch load the last foot or two. Then hook up the safety cable. But it's most important to approach the trailer slow enough that you can back out if there is a problem, yet fast enough that waves & currents don't effect you much. Keep in mind the bunks & guides will help you align the boat on the trailer.

Last summer when I was looking at boats, we looked at a Vride where the owner was so cautious that he pulled the boat on & off the trailer with mooring lines, and kept the boat at the dock while he was parking the truck, blocking the ramp the entire time. I guess if he can't load & unload right, this is the best way to keep the boat in pristine condition. But it was time consuming & blocked the ramp for a good 10 minutes....... something that really chaps me when I am the guy waiting on them. So teach your wife & friends to help you, and trust them to do their part so the process goes smoothly & quickly.

Bill is absolutely right about blocking the ramps. I see it every time we go to the lake. Early on, I gave my wife the choice of driving the boat or the tow vehicle. She picked the boat and has since done all the loading/unloading while I run for the tow vehicle. We still get looks at the ramp from men who are busting their a$$ while their wife sits in the boat and does nothing. It makes the whole process go fast and smooth.

Nice!! Courtesy is a huge deal with me, so I VERY MUCH appreciate that advice. Golden Rule man!!

Thank you to all!! Now I'm feeling a lot better about it all....nice.

Thanks.

One other thing not so much related to technique, but more free advice - It depends on your comfort level whether you leave your vehicle on or off while you're out hooking/unhooking the boat, but one thing I always do is leave the driver's side window rolled down all the way. Also, I've never locked my keys in the car on the ramp for obvious reasons, despite how hard I try to do that. :Doh:

Smart...I did that once when I got a gate...bad experience with a locked running truck and the handle of a shovel. My glass guy thought it was just fine!!

A point of safety.

NEVER NEVER go up the trailer under power with your driver standing at the back of your truck. I have a neighbor whose friends daughter was killed when his boat malfunctioned. It went full throttle up the trailer and crushed her against their truck.

Have them stand to the side while you come up the trailer. Once it has stopped on the bunks to where you will finish pulling it up with the winch, have them then hook the strap and crank it up. Using the liquid rollers will make this an easy task.

Team work at the ramp is much apprieciated by all. It is also a good way to visually teach other that may not have it down.

Do you run your bilge blower on the way down the ramp and while backing it in?

We have ours backed down and off the trailer in just a couple of minutes. The same when pulling it out.

Wow, that is some serious stuff...a good word to pass along. Please spread that tragic story where you can...it may save someone.

Teamwork... I'll stress that one again. Teach your wife & friends how to help out.

Teach your wife how to back the trailer up. Take her to an empty parking lot & practice for a while. Use both your side mirrors & place your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. It's a blast when she can do it better than any of the guys on the ramp!

And in my wife's case, she loves to help out, especially when she can show up the boy's club.

I have to say this is some of the best advice regarding this topic. Not only does it make for a great day on the lake, there is no question of what needs to take place. Each person has their job and they know what to do. I have been in situations where my wife will insert the trailer with such precision I just sit in the boat and smile... Thumbup.gif while all of the other people are trying to figure out who's supposed to hold the rope etc Mad.gif . A little practice and it's like a well oiled machine... teamwork, it's the best.

Around here, it is frowned upon to power load onto the trailer. It washes out the end of the ramps to the point where the concrete cracks off. So I don't make it a practice of hitting the throttle once I'm on the bunks. Usually I glide right up to within a foot or two and do the rest with the winch.

That's funny, I see the signs on all of the ramps in Michigan but the first time I loaded I watched the guy in front of me do that. I decided to try it too, and the Sheriff came running out to yell at me. I think he was just flexing his muscles as I didn't really push it that hard. Oh well!

Man...I hate to keep sounding so darn cheerful, but all of you guys have given so much good targeted advice, I'm pretty amazed. Thanks

We've bought 4 in-boards since we've been married. Each time we took off to the ramp, just the two of us, early on a Monday morning--no one at the ramp.. All we would do on those trips was launch and load launch and load, over and over again and learn the 'close-quarters' manuvering manners of the new boat.. Got it down to a science and we each can do any of the 'jobs'. Nobody waits for Beau at the ramp! It truly paid off once when one of our kids got hurt bad and we had to get off the water real quick. All we had to do was get someone to let us break in line at the ramp. We were able to get out smoothly and quickly and get on to the ER. When summer storms blow up around here we often slip back over to the ramp,sit in the boat, and watch 'the idiot parade'---all those people in a panic trying to load their boats in a hurry!!! It's better than a trip to the zoo.

My advice to you, or to any newbie, is to learn to operate your equipment properly and efficiently. Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. Are you in SC? Wherebouts?

All good advice. My $.02 worth:

No matter how fast/skilled/impressive you can drop-in/trailer your boat, it only takes 1 SLIP/Mistake to damage your boat, ego, or others when doing things too fast and not paying attention. Safety and awareness are my two main thoughts when launching/trailering. If it takes 30-60 seconds longer to verify and double-check to make sure all is well during the process, it's time well spent.

Have fun.

I may be in the minority here, but I like stickier bunks and I use the throttle liberally to load and unload. I would never put silicone on the bunks. I really, really don't like the boat to shifting when its on the trailer driving down the road and it seems way too easy to have it slide off early at the ramp with slippery bunks. Also, I think its easier to get the boat to just the right depth on the trailer with stickier bunks. My trailer is five years old and still has the original carpet on the bunks, and it doesn't need replacing yet--although I wouldn't mind so much if it did--as replacing the carpet is no big deal.

That said, its personal preference re: silicone, but once you put it on, good luck getting it off.

Happy boating! Cheers.gif

Jack

I may be in the minority here, but I like stickier bunks and I use the throttle liberally to load and unload. I would never put silicone on the bunks. I really, really don't like the boat to shifting when its on the trailer driving down the road and it seems way too easy to have it slide off early at the ramp with slippery bunks. Also, I think its easier to get the boat to just the right depth on the trailer with stickier bunks. My trailer is five years old and still has the original carpet on the bunks, and it doesn't need replacing yet--although I wouldn't mind so much if it did--as replacing the carpet is no big deal.

That said, its personal preference re: silicone, but once you put it on, good luck getting it off.

Jack

You unhook the bow before you back down the ramp and do not use transom hold downs?

Yer liv'n on the edge!

As soon as we get to the ramp my wife gets in the boat and turns the blower on. After she has takin a seat I start backing it in.

WHAT? I thought that stopped after marriage. Blower? Backin' it in? You are a lucky man! Tease.gif I need to have a talk with my Wife!

Man...I hate to keep sounding so darn cheerful, but all of you guys have given so much good targeted advice, I'm pretty amazed. Thanks

Yeah the plethora of information the Crew dishes out can be overwhelming in a good way!

Edited by areamike

Jack

I'm not one for silicone spray on the bunks, either. I prefer the bunks to be stickier if you come in a little too fast and need them to stop the boat. Power on until the boat is about 2 feet from the stop and winch it the rest of the way.

We've bought 4 in-boards since we've been married. Each time we took off to the ramp, just the two of us, early on a Monday morning--no one at the ramp.. All we would do on those trips was launch and load launch and load, over and over again and learn the 'close-quarters' manuvering manners of the new boat.. Got it down to a science and we each can do any of the 'jobs'. Nobody waits for Beau at the ramp! It truly paid off once when one of our kids got hurt bad and we had to get off the water real quick. All we had to do was get someone to let us break in line at the ramp. We were able to get out smoothly and quickly and get on to the ER. When summer storms blow up around here we often slip back over to the ramp,sit in the boat, and watch 'the idiot parade'---all those people in a panic trying to load their boats in a hurry!!! It's better than a trip to the zoo.

My advice to you, or to any newbie, is to learn to operate your equipment properly and efficiently. Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. Are you in SC? Wherebouts?

Thanks...yeah, SC...Spring Creek, Nevada!! Not South Carolina....

Cheers,

Nothing irritates me more than seeing one person of a multiperson vehicle doing all of the work and delaying me, because someone is to lazy/scared to learn either how to back or trailer. Learn one or both, don't care, don't tie up the ramp and look like a wally.

Be careful with the liquid rollers / silicone spray. I've heard multiple people on here say that if you use the silicone spray to make sure you dont unhook the trailer from the boat until the boat is in the water.

Great point, I unhook prior to backing down.......