Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf wake on 08 23LSV

husqy510

I'm getting ready to pick up a new LSV but I want to make sure the wake will be big enough for wake surfing. Currently I have a 99 Tige 22i with about 1000lbs worth of fat sacks and the wake is big enough to surf, but it's not great. I've been searching a lot of posts on this site and it looks like a lot of people still use sacks. I was hoping to avoid that as it is kind of a pain.

How is the wake on 23 LSV with the wedge and standard three ballast tanks.

I'm getting ready to pick up a new LSV but I want to make sure the wake will be big enough for wake surfing. Currently I have a 99 Tige 22i with about 1000lbs worth of fat sacks and the wake is big enough to surf, but it's not great. I've been searching a lot of posts on this site and it looks like a lot of people still use sacks. I was hoping to avoid that as it is kind of a pain.

How is the wake on 23 LSV with the wedge and standard three ballast tanks.

Make sure you get the optional bow ballast! And, unless you have a large crew you will need more weight for a good surf wake.

We are buying a boat they have in inventory and it does not have the bow ballast. I guess we will see how the wake is this weekend but I'll be terribly disappointed if it doesn't far exceed our old Tige. We typically have 4-14 people in the boat and I'm sure the wake will be great with 14 people but I hoping it's do able with 4. We all grew up surfing so maybe we are able to get by with a smaller wake. I'll try to post a pic of us surfing behind the Tige and maybe you can tell me what you think.

How do you post pics on the site?

Which hull does the boat have? The diamond or the V25 (That is definitely an option on the Wakesetter VLX...not sure about the 08 LSV)? That might help folks on this site give you the best advice. Totally agree with the guy who said "DEMO IT"!!! When I'm buying shoes, I prefer to try them on first....I think it only fair if you are laying down something like $65k bones the dealer will be happy to spot you a few hours on the water to check it out. Surf on....

We are going to demo it next weekend and that should answer all my questions but I was curious how other people with the boat liked it. I don't believe the LSV comes with different hulls like the VLX, but I'm pretty sure it is all new for 08 which is why I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys. Thanks again for the response.

We are going to demo it next weekend and that should answer all my questions but I was curious how other people with the boat liked it. I don't believe the LSV comes with different hulls like the VLX, but I'm pretty sure it is all new for 08 which is why I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys. Thanks again for the response.

The LSV DOES have an option for the Diamond Hull.

IMO, if you are going to spend the money and you like to surf or WB behind the 23;

make sure it's a wake hull

make sure it has bow ballast

I wouldn't settle for a pretty one on the lot just because it's already there if it's not optioned the way you want it. Order one like you want it and you won't have to make excuses to yourself later down the road.

IME, we don't add any more weight in the bow for surfing or WBing other than the stock bow ballast with our 23, the VLX's tend to do better with some extra weight up front. You will need more weight than stock in the boat to optimize the wake for surfing. You can get good WB wakes with stock ballast + wedge, most of the time more wake than the rider can actually use.

IMO, if you are going to spend the money and you like to surf or WB behind the 23;

make sure it's a wake hull

make sure it has bow ballast

I wouldn't settle for a pretty one on the lot just because it's already there if it's not optioned the way you want it. Order one like you want it and you won't have to make excuses to yourself later down the road.

IME, we don't add any more weight in the bow for surfing or WBing other than the stock bow ballast with our 23, the VLX's tend to do better with some extra weight up front. You will need more weight than stock in the boat to optimize the wake for surfing. You can get good WB wakes with stock ballast + wedge, most of the time more wake than the rider can actually use.

just did some heavy surfing yesterday behind my 08 lsv..

I was riding goofy and the boat config was:

Right: Full

Center: Full

Left: Empty

Front: Full

Wedge: Max Wake position

Speed: 11.0

Pax: 4 on surf side of boat.. Driver (220lbs), 2 girls (120 each), and another guy (210 lbs) on rear sun deck surfside.

I thought the wake was excellent.. Only issue I see is getting the wake to get nice and clean.. which is why we would have to run at faster speeds. If we rode at 9.8-10.5 the wake was really dirty. I have a feeling with the power wedge in the full wake position it is just a little too much weight in the rear and not enough up front.

I'll work on uploading a pic...

If you are looking at a new boat, I am going to go against the grain. I did NOT want the bow ballast in my boat because I do not like the play pen, and neither do my kids. I don't think they are as safe either. I have the fill cushion that I may as well sell, because every time that I put it in, the kids immediately take it out. Put in a sack under the cushions if you need the weight, but with any more than 4 people in the boat, it will kick a great wake. My little VTX on a diamond hull kicks out a respectable wake when I have 6 people on board, with no bow ballast.

If you like the play pen bow - then get the bow ballast, just understand that you loose that area.

Yeah I'm going to pass on the bow ballast, I have a lot of friends that love sitting in the bow so I want the leg room. Plus if I really need the weight when it's just me and my lady I will fill up one of my fat sacs. Thanks for all the advice guys. With any luck I will have a new boat after the test ride this saturday.

one more questions... I'd say this is the last question, but we all know that's probably incorrect. We can get a set of swivel racks from the dealer for 1200, or I can get a set of solid racks of ebay for 300. I like the idea of swivel racks because it will keep people of the upholstery, but I also like the idea of saving 900 bucks. What do you guys think?

I have solid racks, couldn't justify the extra money for the swivels. I'm 6'1" so it's not too hard for me to reach the boards outside the boat. If you're short and have trouble reach around to get them off, then go for it, but I couldn't justify the extra expense.

• 2 weeks later...

Get the bow ballast!! The extra legroom you get isn't worth it IMNSHO... it makes a big difference for the wake, particularly for wakeboarding.

As for surfing... get the power wedge if it's not too late. The stock ballast with the power wedge (we usually put the wedge about 1/2 down for surfing) gets a pretty good wake.. a few extra people, or an extra bag or two will make a great wake.

• 3 weeks later...

Couple questions

1) Will the Fly High bow sack fit under the bow seats in the new 2008 23LSV?

2) How do you plum the sacks that i will be adding 750 rear port and 400 side port and bow ballast?

If you are looking at a new boat, I am going to go against the grain. I did NOT want the bow ballast in my boat because I do not like the play pen, and neither do my kids. I don't think they are as safe either. I have the fill cushion that I may as well sell, because every time that I put it in, the kids immediately take it out. Put in a sack under the cushions if you need the weight, but with any more than 4 people in the boat, it will kick a great wake. My little VTX on a diamond hull kicks out a respectable wake when I have 6 people on board, with no bow ballast.

If you like the play pen bow - then get the bow ballast, just understand that you loose that area.

The bow in the LSV is huge. I'm 6' and I can sit in any of the three corners and my feet do NOT touch the side. There is a lot of room up front.

I have little kids, and have had the entire time we've had the Bu. Yes, we tell them to sit when in the bow, but we would say that no matter what kind of bow there was. I'm not scared though. they generally sit on their knees in the bow and I'm not concerned. This MAY be a bigger issue with a smaller boat. The LSV's bow is large and deep IMO, compared to other models.

Yes, you need the weight for wakeboarding AND surfing. Get the bow ballast.

Sit in the bow and you'll see. It's big.