Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Boat - HH is LOUD

CBMalibu

Just sold my 2002 Sunscape and picked up a new 2007 23LSV. It was left over from last year and the dealer was blowing it out. It has the HH engine which I wouldn't have ordered on my own.

We spent some time on the boat today and we noticed that the engine is LOUD compared to the Monsoon I had in my 2002.

Any options to quiet it down a bit?

Just sold my 2002 Sunscape and picked up a new 2007 23LSV. It was left over from last year and the dealer was blowing it out. It has the HH engine which I wouldn't have ordered on my own.

We spent some time on the boat today and we noticed that the engine is LOUD compared to the Monsoon I had in my 2002.

Any options to quiet it down a bit?

You are correct! I think it is louder than the 8.1. I don't think the 07 has the ETX/CATS. That makes it a little quiter. I now have an 08 HH and I ordered it with the STE exhaust. It makes it much quiter!

my dealer told me the STE doesn't really make much of a difference....is this not true? I have an 08 LSV with a HH on it's way...no STE...will it be noisy?

my dealer told me the STE doesn't really make much of a difference....is this not true? I have an 08 LSV with a HH on it's way...no STE...will it be noisy?

I thought the ste's made a big difference, I think its because they direct the sound downward.

I have STE on my 08 HH and they makes a big difference!!! I have not compared them to a HH with ETX/CAT without STE. But, I do know my HH is much quieter than an 07 HH without them. I also had an 07 Monsoon with ETX/CAT and no STE and it was quieter than the HH with ETX/CAT and STE.

Insulated motor box will help

See Link

Also Silent Rider mufflers will help as well.

The turn down exhaust tips will help more with noise from behind the boat while surfing or even skiing.

Plus1.gif Insulate motor cover, you are talking about loud as when you are in the boat right? Not loud in general out the back :unsure:

Correct. Loud when I'm in the boat. Hard to hear others in the boat.

Where can I buy the STE? Are they bolt on?

Correct. Loud when I'm in the boat. Hard to hear others in the boat.

Where can I buy the STE? Are they bolt on?

This is just a thought, but maybe the dealer can help you out and wouldn't cost you anything :unsure: if it's been a complaint before. I would try that first and see what happens :)

can other HH owners chime in here? is this something I'm going to be unhappy with?

You will only be unhappy if you don't like the noise. My dealer sells them both ways. The last LSV with HH he sold the customer wanted his louder than mine. So, it really comes down to preference. I had an LSV 8.1 and by the end of the summer I was tired of the noise!!!

can other HH owners chime in here? is this something I'm going to be unhappy with?

We have the straight pipes on our 06 LSV HH. The engine is a little louder than my old MasterCraft's 5.7 LCR. I've never had a complaint from our neighbors when leaving in the morning. While it is throaty I don't think you'll be unhappy with it. If you can hear the engine just turn the tunes up a bit louder.

We have thought about changing to the STE turn down pipes but not for noise simply for less fumes when surfing.

The video in this thread sounds awesome. I went out on a 22' four winns SS with the through hull exhaust (captains choice) and it was awesome when open. I love the boats when they're throaty.

I like the throaty sound as well. When cruising at 5 to 10 MPH with friends in the boat it can be a bit loud for social conversation. Not a big deal, just looking for ideas to quiet it down a little.

If you are buying brand new, unless you like the deep throaty sound of a rumbling V8, then go with every Silencing option Malibu has. i.e. STE, Turn down exhaust, Insulated Motor Box etc.

If you are married, go with the silencing options. Whistling.gif

The video in this thread sounds awesome.

I think that is my boat. I have the HH 365 with NO silencing options at all. Rockon.gif

I love it, although I will be adding the Insulated motor box kit this summer. The wife wants the cabin noise down a little Cry.gif

See my above post that says Vroom Vroom for a link to a video of my boat running.

All V-drive Malibu's are standard with a silent rider muffler... STE exhaust tips do help, it was huge noticeable difference with the boat running on the trailer. (best way i could tell a before and after, after i installed them on my boat)

you can pick up the exhaust ports here: http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=756

The next best thing is the insulate your engine compartment, in my opinion it's easier to do on a v-drive.. i did it on my Response and that improved the noise the most.

I have an 06 LSV with HH.

For the record, I drove a 06 with monsoon back to back with the HH. The HH was louder, but not enough that my wife would notice, so obviously not much. We can carry on a normal conversation. The wind noise is much louder than the motor noise in the boat.

If it bothers you, then I think you will probably not be happy. You said you did not want a HH, so there you have it.

Pull it to my house, I have a 2.4 out of Neon I will swap, no charge. Very quiet motor.

Silent Rider Exhaust makes a huge difference in noise levels, probably more than any other change. The two boats on our lake that have them are pretty much inaudible compared to the others for exhaust note noise. Also, the video is a great one to understand noises levels on a ski boat. Notice that you do not hear the exhaust when the boat is coming at you, only when it is basically going away (rear and once past the ex. tips). Approaching you hear the hull to water noise. IMO the throaty tone of a small block V8 is much more pleasant than most other water craft, particularly the small 2 stroke variety.

Everybody needs to be on the same page with these comparisons.

The 06 Monsoon is louder than the 07 and 08 Monsoon. The 07 HH is louder than the 08 HH. The 07 and 08 Monsoon have the ETX/CAT systems as does the 08 HH. That alone makes the motor quieter. Silent Rider Mufflers are standard on the Wakesetters (I sure of this, not sure about the other models). So, that makes the comparisons even. The STE Silent Tip Exhaust (All of the performance and the stainless steel look without the noise. STE Exhaust Tips are built with specially designed baffles to reduce engine noise without any degradation in performance.) is an options and does make the HH even quieter.

Whith that said... If your going to compare make sure you understand what you are comparing!!!

I have the Monsoon with cats, it is much quieter than my previous 2 monsoons. But, if I could have an electric motor that produced NO noise, that would be my choice. I love the thoaty sound of a V8 for approximately 15 seconds, after that, I want as quiet as possible. Boat or car, I hate to hear engine noise.

I love the thoaty sound of a V8 for approximately 15 seconds, after that, I want as quiet as possible. Boat or car, I hate to hear engine noise.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

:unsure:

M, you old geezer. Tease.gif

You would not like my Sporty. No.gif No cats, no mufflers, no baffles, no exhaust tips,...exhaust risers --> exhaust hose --> out the transom. Rockon.gif My wife hates my 6:00 AM ski runs during camping trips. Yes.gif I just have to remember to not point the transom straight at our tent. :lol: